×

Give a tip

New Generation Maxthon Browser Let Me Down :(


MAXSHARK

Recommended Posts

We have been waiting for so so long for new browser. But why you disappointed us :(

These are just a few things:

It uses RAM a lot! Almost 50-100 MB per tab.Just like google chrome.Old Maxthon version was superior over other browsers just because of low RAM usage.

Videos not showing. For instance facebook videos.Videos are playing with sound but black screen.(Is it because of GPU acceleration? "about:gpu" is not working)

In old Maxthon versions,even when I hide status bar,when I mouse over a link, I could see the link addess at the bottom of page. But now, I cannot see it.

Please come on guys :( You cannot make us use google chrome. Work on MAxthon I dont want to change my browser :(

 

 

 

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today, I installed the second beta version of the most recent update on my XP computer.  First off, the installation failed.  During the attempted installation, the update ruined the previous Maxthon version that was installed.  I needed to reinstall the previous version in order for Maxthon to work.

If future updates are incompatible with XP, I would appreciate knowing this ahead of time so that I don't waste my time attempting to install it!!!

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

The problem of black screen when playing some videos has been reported before but we are still figuring out what could be the causing this issue.

Current versions are supposed to support win XP, unless if the installer pckage is corrupt, otherwise it should work. May we know how you installation process that lef to failure? 

For the high RAM usage issue, please take a screenshot and let us see how much amount of RAM tabs are using.

Regarding the display of link address at the bottom of page , this function was missed, I just reported it to our Jira system. It will be added in future version:)

Thanks.

 

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BugSir007 said:

iHi guys,

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

The problem of black screen when playing some videos has been reported before but we are still figuring out what could be the causing this issue.

Current versions are supposed to support win XP, unless if the installer pckage is corrupt, otherwise it should work. May we know how you installation process that lef to failure? 

For the high RAM usage issue, please take a screenshot and let us see how much amount of RAM tabs are using.

Regarding the display of link address at the bottom of page , this function was missed, I just reported it to our Jira system. It will be added in future version:)

Thanks.

 

i simply attempted to install the newest version by clicking on the windows installer link that was provided.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MarkStrobel3367 said:

i simply attempted to install the newest version by clicking on the windows installer link that was provided.

                                                                                                                                                                   

The problem is not an incompatibility with XP, the problem is that you installed it directly over 4.4.8. It is highly(as in "don't even think of doing otherwise") recommended that you install M4.9 clean, that is to say uninstall the previous version, including personal data and then install M4.9.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PHYR said:

                                                                                                                                                                   

The problem is not an incompatibility with XP, the problem is that you installed it directly over 4.4.8. It is highly(as in "don't even think of doing otherwise") recommended that you install M4.9 clean, that is to say uninstall the previous version, including personal data and then install M4.9.

I never had to uninstall the previous version in order for the current version to work.  Why is this an issue now?  I am a bit reluctant trying this method as I experienced many problems last time.  I think that I will wait until the final version of this update is available instead of trying again to install the beta version.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MarkStrobel3367 said:

I never had to uninstall the previous version in order for the current version to work.  Why is this an issue now?  I am a bit reluctant trying this method as I experienced many problems last time.  I think that I will wait until the final version of this update is available instead of trying again to install the beta version.

4.9 version is a completely new branch. Even we could say it's a new browser.

There are a lot of changes when you compare to earlier versions.

That's why it would be better if you had done a clean installation.

Even if you'll be waiting for finall version nothing's change - to avoid trouble, you have to perform a clean installation.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MarkStrobel3367 said:

I never had to uninstall the previous version in order for the current version to work.  Why is this an issue now?  I am a bit reluctant trying this method as I experienced many problems last time.  I think that I will wait until the final version of this update is available instead of trying again to install the beta version.

4.9 uses a new architecture

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been a faithful user of Maxthon since Spring 2004, and I'm said to say the latest build - Win 4.9.0.2400 - is the single worst build of any browser I've ever used. It seems incapable of even the most basic of multi-tasking as having multiple tabs loading pages at the same time. It's particularly evident on sites that use a fair bit of JS, like IMDb or just about any newspaper website.

I'm experiencing the same on both my desktop and a laptop, each with plenty of RAM and processor speed. The previous 4.9 beta build was dodgy, but not quite this terrible. I may well have to reinstall 4.4.8.1000 before I go mad. Really hoping the next build comes soon - and hopefully reinstates the cloud features, too.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AaronX said:

I've been a faithful user of Maxthon since Spring 2004, and I'm said to say the latest build - Win 4.9.0.2400 - is the single worst build of any browser I've ever used. It seems incapable of even the most basic of multi-tasking as having multiple tabs loading pages at the same time. It's particularly evident on sites that use a fair bit of JS, like IMDb or just about any newspaper website.

I'm experiencing the same on both my desktop and a laptop, each with plenty of RAM and processor speed. The previous 4.9 beta build was dodgy, but not quite this terrible. I may well have to reinstall 4.4.8.1000 before I go mad. Really hoping the next build comes soon - and hopefully reinstates the cloud features, too.

I'm using Mx 4.9.0.2400 and it has been working fine so far, IMDb loads as fast as i could expect...

As for RAM consumption issue, please attach a screenshot here to see how much amount of RAM your browser is using?

And please let us know if you performed an over install or clean install of the browser.

Thanks.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, magg said:

4.9 version is a completely new branch. Even we could say it's a new browser.

There are a lot of changes when you compare to earlier versions.

That's why it would be better if you had done a clean installation.

Even if you'll be waiting for finall version nothing's change - to avoid trouble, you have to perform a clean installation.

If this version requires a clean installation, this should have been noted.  Also, deleting the browser with all of the extensions and bookmarks every time a new version is released seems a bit impractical to me.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, MarkStrobel3367 said:

If this version requires a clean installation, this should have been noted.  Also, deleting the browser with all of the extensions and bookmarks every time a new version is released seems a bit impractical to me.

I concur, Mark.  A clean install is great for beta testing, as it allows you to know you're seeing bugs from the current version — but real-world end users don't expect to uninstall and reconfigure software with every minor release (and may not expect to with major releases).

Plus, it's good for someone to install a beta over an existing version, if only to discover problems in the upgrade process and the installer itself — which developers need to address.  The ability to upgrade an existing installation is a feature that needs testing as much as tabs, Favorites Manager, or mouse gestures.

My personal policy with Maxthon (because it has a history of mostly stable beta releases) is to install beta versions over the last release and see how it goes.  If problems surface, I uninstall and install the beta clean.  If I'm still having trouble, I uninstall again and reinstall (clean) the last working release, then restore my appdata folder from a backup.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, magg said:

4.9 version is a completely new branch. Even we could say it's a new browser.

There are a lot of changes when you compare to earlier versions.

That's why it would be better if you had done a clean installation.

Even if you'll be waiting for finall version nothing's change - to avoid trouble, you have to perform a clean installation.

Additionally, I am still not receiving emails when someone replies to my conversation in this forum even though I made the necessary adjustments in my account settings.  I still have to refer to this forum to find if someone replies.  This is very frustrating!

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MarkStrobel3367 said:

If this version requires a clean installation, this should have been noted.  Also, deleting the browser with all of the extensions and bookmarks every time a new version is released seems a bit impractical to me.

I agree that installing clean should have been noted, however everyone knows it is a beta and should be treated as such.

I use an account so I am not hesitant to completely uninstall any version(I very often do) as bookmarks, extensions, quick access, Magic fill and settings are all saved with my account and are uploaded as soon as I log into Mx. Granted it does take a few minutes, especially if you are using thumbnails on QA, to load everything, a trade off I find convenient. (actually, probably a godsend if you are using several machines) :)

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MarkStrobel3367 said:

Additionally, I am still not receiving emails when someone replies to my conversation in this forum even though I made the necessary adjustments in my account settings.  I still have to refer to this forum to find if someone replies.  This is very frustrating!

Works just fine for me.

Check again your notification settings on Forum or/ and check your mail client settings (spam).

Bez tytułu2.jpg

Bez tytułu.jpg

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2015, 8:14:42, AaronX said:

It's particularly evident on sites that use a fair bit of JS, like IMDb or just about any newspaper website.

 

On 12/29/2015, 1:33:12, BugSir007 said:

I'm using Mx 4.9.0.2400 and it has been working fine so far, IMDb loads as fast as i could expect...

I've noticed problems with IMDb too, but they're intermittent.

@BugSir007, have you tried opening multiple pages on IMDb.com?  For me, the slowdown seems to come up when I'm viewing title pages (e.g., http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1545754/).  Maxthon seems to become preoccupied with the "People Who Liked This Also Liked ..." section of tiles about 1/3 of the way down the page.  Also, IMDb slows down more if I have multiple title pages open in multiple tabs at once.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Secret-HQ said:

 

I've noticed problems with IMDb too, but they're intermittent.

@BugSir007, have you tried opening multiple pages on IMDb.com?  For me, the slowdown seems to come up when I'm viewing title pages (e.g., http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1545754/).  Maxthon seems to become preoccupied with the "People Who Liked This Also Liked ..." section of tiles about 1/3 of the way down the page.  Also, IMDb slows down more if I have multiple title pages open in multiple tabs at once.

I've opened 10 pages of imdb with 2 running video, all scroll smoothly with version 4.9.0.2500. I hope they release this one soon. All the negative posts seem to related to this issue.

Edit: Read about people also liked comment, so I added 10 more from that section. No issues that I could see

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, PHYR said:

I've opened 10 pages of imdb with 2 running video, all scroll smoothly with version 4.9.0.2500. I hope they release this one soon. All the negative posts seem to related to this issue.

That's encouraging.  I'm still running .2400 from the public channel, and I hear .2500 has some performance fixes/improvements.  Maybe the issue has already been addressed.

I'm hoping we get .2500 on this side of the fence soon, just to see what sort of improvements it contains.  I can't lie:  .2200 and .2400 have made me a little anxious.  :huh:

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Secret-HQ said:

That's encouraging.  I'm still running .2400 from the public channel, and I hear .2500 has some performance fixes/improvements.  Maybe the issue has already been addressed.

I'm hoping we get .2500 on this side of the fence soon, just to see what sort of improvements it contains.  I can't lie:  .2200 and .240 have made me a little anxious.  :huh:

According to the change log, " +Optimized some websites opening lagging issue"

After trying those IMDb pages, I opened a second instance of M4.9 with the exact same tabs, so over 40 IMDb tabs with several videos. It took a little time for them to all load, but once they did, it took about one second for the page to show after clicking the tab, but once the page showed I could scroll immediately without stutter. Task manager showed 2 Mx apps at about 500 MB and 20 some odd processes at close to a gig of RAM total.

It's not to say .2500 doesn't have any issues but it is better than either .2200 or .2400

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, PHYR said:

According to the change log, " +Optimized some websites opening lagging issue"
...
It's not to say .2500 doesn't have any issues but it is better than either .2200 or .2400

Good to hear.  That .2400 represented an increase in laggy behavior over .2200 was a little concerning.  Maxthon 4.x has been so snappy and quick for so long, we've gotten a little spoiled; any lag is a bit shocking.  :wink:

Of course, I'm mostly sweating it out over the performance of Favorites.  :devil:  :D

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/12/2015 06:33:12, BugSir007 said:

I'm using Mx 4.9.0.2400 and it has been working fine so far, IMDb loads as fast as i could expect...

As for RAM consumption issue, please attach a screenshot here to see how much amount of RAM your browser is using?

And please let us know if you performed an over install or clean install of the browser.

Thanks.

It's not so much a RAM issue as noting that I have more than enough RAM and processor speed available, yet Maxthon is still sluggish.

For example, it's doing it right now on my desktop. See the attached.

BBC News website has been sluggish at times, but particularly bad continues to be IMDb, and Telegraph.co.uk. Pages don't scroll, they just hang for minutes at a time for no apparent reason; images not loading, videos not initialising, etc. This often causes other tabs to become at least partially unresponsive: they may scroll but form elements are unresponsive, for example.

Oh, and it was an upgrade install over the previous release.

 

Maxthon.png

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.