how to export passwords

Recommended Posts

i did it one at a time - i have a memory that may be wrong that it can be done by a html file but that would only give a list if it is even possible - you would still have to enter them back manually

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no direct way, BUT there is a workaround, that with a little work should be able to get all your passwords into whatever browser.

To get the passwords out of Maxthon follow the instructions in this post:

From there you'll need to clean up the file to remove all the extraneous data to leave the site url, username and password.

Save that as a CSV file in the following format:


name - can be anything, doesn't seem to be imported - used as reference only
url  - to be used to match for auto-fill. Must start with http:// or it won't be imported
username - username for the site 
password - password for the site

Using Chrome, goto chrome://flags, find the option for "Password import and export" and set it to Enabled.

Restart Chrome, goto Settings > Passwords & forms > Manage passwords > import, select the .CSV file you saved above.

The passwords should be imported.

From there you should be able to go to almost any other browser and just import the data from Chrome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting the data out of the HTML is a little bit of work.

There's sites online that can strip the HTML and leave you with mostly readable text, but that's obviously not the most ideal option seeing as passwords are involved, and is NOT recommended.

Most decent text editors can search and replace any text.

I found using the cmd line find command a few times cleans out most of the HTML, and leaves you with a pretty reasonable amount of stuff that can easily be cleaned with search & replace command of the repeated lines.

Where x1.txt is the name of the file that you saved.

find "View details" x1.txt
- finds site name

find "search-item" x1.txt
 - finds the urls for each site

find "caname search-item" x1.txt
 - finds usernames

find "readonly value" x1.txt
- finds password

From there you can copy/paste as required to get it into the correct format. Or even better just use Excel to combine the cleaned data into the required CSV columns if you're familiar with that.

There's probably a number of other ways you can do it as well. That's just what i've played around with and am familiar with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link.

Alterantively, I followed this process. 

  1. Copied PassKeeper html code through open source view (which you can have through F12 and be more selective as well).
  2. Pasted on some text editor
  3. Replaced    <input type="password" class="originpwd" name="password" readonly="" value="      to nothing
  4. Saved and opened .html in browser showing visible password along with ">.
  5. Copied entire table with header in excel 
  6. Formatted as a table in excel and removed delete header
  7. Renamed other headers appropriately (I used per Lastpass)
  8. Replace "> to nothing for all passwords
  9. Saved .csv and imported to LastPass


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.