Silent Update from Mx3 to Mx4

there is a [throw away] comment in the 4.4.5.2000 announcement thread

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php/topic/15204-maxthon-cloud-browser-for-windows-v4452000-official-released/

that states

Notice:Since Maxthon 3 Maintenance has stopped ,we will conduct a background update to the latest version for all users.

my question is why - users still using MX3 have made that choice - for whatever reason they do not want to update to MX4 - its nothing to do with Maxthon which version of the browser a user chooses surely

i am told that adding 127.0.0.1 update.maxthon.com in hosts file will block any update to MX4 - thanks to Oliver for that info

the above is just wrong - its intrusive and 100% out of order and the update program should be stopped

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

does this mean that all Mx3 users will get an upgrade to Mx 4, or to the latest mx3 build ?

a good question - i have to say i read it as they would be upgraded to MX4 - there is a certain amount of assumption in that but if that is not the case why post it in a MX4 release thread

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Some clarification of the statement would be nice - like just adding "latest version of MX4 to all users".

To me at first read sounds like as MX3 is now no longer maintained, all MX3 users will be auto-updated to MX4. But I guess you could also read it as MX3 users will be updated to the last/latest MX3 (although I think this is wrong).

i am told that adding 127.0.0.1 update.maxthon.com in hosts file will block any update to MX4 - thanks to Oliver for that info

So long as people are aware, this will also stop MX4 from updating. So no matter what it's going to stuff people around.

With that said, apart from user choice being restricted, I don't see how this is that bad of an issue - purely from a software perspective. MX4 is better and there's nothing in MX3 that isn't updated in some way in MX4. Only thing that comes to mind would be skins which worked better in MX3. Although maybe someone can add to that list.

With that said, apart from user choice being restricted, I don't see how this is that bad of an issue - purely from a software perspective. MX4 is better and there's nothing in MX3 that isn't updated in some way in MX4. Only thing that comes to mind would be skins which worked better in MX3. Although maybe someone can add to that list.

Not only skins : old QA too (which is not a good thing for people having many pages)

At least users should be given the slightest information of what is going to happen. One day they go to bed with Mx3 to which they are used, next morning they wake up with MxCloud that they didn't request, without any information, and with their QA all messed up....  :wacko:

sigmax2.png

Archived