About to leave Maxthon

Dan

I am sorry to report that I am on the verge of leaving Maxthon.  Ever since the leap from 4.4 to 4.9,

I have experienced issues similar to others, particularly huge memory consumption.  Maxthon builds

have crawled almost to a halt.  I am typing this note now on the latest Chrome 49 build and have none

of these slowness problems.   It's a shame what has happened to Maxthon since the "upgrade" and I 

hope something can be done to return the speed and efficiency of a browser I have used loyally for many 

years.

Hi Dan, I read your comments, I agree with you, and do not be so drastic yourself, be patient. I am thinking too letting this browser, but let's go see how is maxthon in the last version.
Just patience, this one is my recommendations.
Maxthon could give us a big surprise.

HI Dan,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Would you please take a screenshot of Maxthon memory consumption on your side?

Which version are you using now?

The latest beta 4.9.0.2800 is believed to be fast compared to previous builds. Maybe you can tell us specifically where you find the browser slow 

We hope to see more improvements in matter of speed and memory consumption.

22 hours ago, BugSir007 said:

HI Dan,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Would you please take a screenshot of Maxthon memory consumption on your side?

Which version are you using now?

The latest beta 4.9.0.2800 is believed to be fast compared to previous builds. Maybe you can tell us specifically where you find the browser slow 

We hope to see more improvements in matter of speed and memory consumption.

Here is a jpeg of Task Manager and memory consuption of each tab in Maxthon latest build....

Maxthon Memory Consumption.jpg

Must be an effect of the latest Chromium core update. Chromium/Webkit based browsers/cores eat anyway tons of memory. That is the same in real Chrome. Go and open 36 tabs and have dozens of Chrome add-ons, you will see that each tab and add-on requires one of those entries you have posted.

If there is really a resource eater, it is Chrome itself. Btw. that is anyway the future, all browsers switch over to multi-process for stability reasons. There is almost no chance anymore to avoid that inevitable.

Here is the thing, if you really want a single process browser and you are totally unable to accept that multi-process eats memory, your only chance is Pale Moon or possible Microsoft Edge (can't say that for sure 100% for this one).

And as it looks like Maxthon 5 will have exactly the same behavior like Chrome, as we got hints by Jeff that Maxthon 5 will be totally Chromium based for Chromium add-on compatibility. That is the way of things, sorry to tell you.

Sorry to report that though it appears my uninstallation of Shockwave may have helped things a bit,

I still experience slowdowns of Maxthon, requiring repeated activation of Task Manager to force quit,

and sometimes complete restarts of the PC.   So, for now Maxthon remains on probation.  If things don't

improve I'll have to make the switch to Chrome or Opera.

Archived