Bug multiple folders in maxnote (favorites)

If we add several tabs to a folder and put a name, (or leave the date that sets by default), we can create multiple folders with the same name without maxthon warns of it.

The normal thing is that if you add tabs to a folder that is given a name that already exists, those tabs should go to that existing folder, and not create another "different"  with the same name.

In fact, you can rename folders with names that already exist, without any warning, with which we would find several folders with different content and the same name.

Note: If this is not a bug, it is a bad implementation

snap_screen_20190407152141.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, pantantrollo said:

The normal thing is that if you add tabs to a folder that is given a name that already exists, those tabs should go to that existing folder, and not create another "different"  with the same name.

I don't believe I've seen this bug in action, and I haven't been able to recreate it on my end.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what is IS.

Is there a way to save Favorites where Maxthon automatically creates a new folder with the same name as an existing one?  As far as I can tell, you have to create the folders manually, then choose to add Favorites to them.  (For example, I can invoke "All all pages to Favorites," but it just adds them to whatever folder I select; it doesn't create a folder for them to live in.)

True, I can have multiple folders with the same name (in different locations or even within the same folder), and that that can create confusion when I'm using the dropdown menu to decide which folder to save to — but I actually like having the ability to give folders the same name.  (Presumably they have a unique ID that isn't visible so Maxthon can tell the difference between them.)

I understand, as in any file system, to be able to create folders with the same name, it is obvious, but having a folder with the same name, INSIDE the same branch of the tree, is not only not logical, it is not functional.

In the example of the image above, where everything hangs from the same branch, how do you know where the tests I am looking for are? Looking at all the test_1 folders one by one? :Flushed_Face_Emoji_42x42:

File trees prevent this type of case, precisely because it would be chaos to have many folders with the same name within the same branch, not only for the user, but for the system itself.

2 minutes ago, pantantrollo said:

I understand, as in any file system, to be able to create folders with the same name, it is obvious, but having a folder with the same name, INSIDE the same branch of the tree, is not only not logical, it is not functional.

In the example of the image above, where everything hangs from the same branch, how do you know where the tests I am looking for are? Looking at all the test_1 folders one by one? :-)

File trees prevent this type of case, precisely because it would be chaos to have many folders with the same name within the same branch, not only for the user, but for the system itself.

I dunno.

File trees prevent this from happening not to protect the user but because the file system has to know the difference between two folders in the same location.  Maxthon presumably has a hidden identifier field that makes the first Test_1 different from the second Test_1 and uses that, rather than the displayed name, to distinguish between the two folders.

I have moved folders from one parent folder to another, where there was already a folder with the same name.  In those cases, I've wanted both folders to exist side by side temporarily until I could rename, consolidate, or otherwise handle them and their contents.  I didn't want to have to rename the new one during the move from a dialogue box or (worse) have them consolidated into a single folder.  (Of course, that's different from user to user.)

One thing to consider is that Maxthon has to sync folders from the local copy to the cloud and back again.  That's another aread where having a system-decided, unique identifier is better than using user-created names to identify each folder.  (Consider the confusion a user could cause by moving a folder then creating a new one with the same name in its place if the folders didn't have unique identifiers.)

Given that Maxthon has this unique identifier in place behind the scenes, the devs would have to go a little further to create validation tests for duplicate file names in the same location.  (It's not like the file names are the unique identifier already; something else is.  So a separate bit of code would have to check the file names against each other.)  I'm not sure the performance impact would be worth it just to protect users from potential confusion.

That said, there are some context clues that can help users.  In your example screenshot, we can see the number of Favorites in each Test_1 folder and the order in which they're listed.  Both of those might help us figure out which folder we want to save to without having to open each one in MaxNote and look inside.

Archived