What is an ideal skin for a browser?

大笨狗

Every item you mention is important, but you've omitted a very important one that encompasses several of these options at once, namely true auto hide. It maximizes visibility, requires fewer mouse clicks and of course is done automatically. As a plus it offers complete utilization of options such as split screen in auto hide mode(This cannot be done with M4 in its present state) If you want to see it in action install Maxthon 2.

Having said this I can see where this may not be feasible for a touch interface(and maybe the reason it will never be implemented) :'( but for a regular PC, nothing is better.

These images demonstrate customization at it's best! Adding M4s skin feature would be indescribably awesome.

:$ Well, you asked....

post-7385961-14315117345096_thumb.jpg

post-7385961-14315117345429_thumb.jpg

When Maxthon came into existence it had the option to have the tabs on the bottom. Since Max3 and now Max4 this is not the case. JarC put it in a cuple of his skins and he did it very quickly. I would like to go back to where it is an option and not have to do special things for it to work. It is an option in a couple of Max4 skins but it requires special things to do it.

there is no ideal skin - ask a 1000 people and you will get pretty much 1000 opinions - make it grey and people want a lighter grey or a colour

but the tabs at the bottom and some will want them above the status bar - others below

M2 answered many of those questions but this is not M2 - you have done things with what you have posted that did not seem possible - maybe much more is but unless every facet of the skin is configurable you will get requests for this or that

i play with skins - have no programming knowledge but manage to change a few things that in the past i have published - all that ever did was bring an endless stream of can you do this or that - or move this here - so i gave up

i wish you well in your search for the ideal skin - it will never exist imo

your list of questions above is good - i would say yes to 1, 2 and 3 - the other 2 are of no importance to me - but others will want them as well as all the other things that are not in the list

i hope you have endless time to satisfy the requests you will get

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

I have comments to add to the options listed:

1. Maximize browsing window space

a) Reduce height of toolbars and width of sidebar. Sidebar 30px wide w/ 24px icons. T height reduced the navbar to about 30px and the tabbar to 24px with 222px tab height.

Statusbar height reduced to 22px. Finally move the tabbar or navbar, whichever is on top up into the caption area with a .mainframe margin-top: 0; and .*bar margin-rightr: 120px (or 108px for non-win7 window controls).

2. An easily customizable layout would be very nice, although such customization is possible with skins. But a customizable skin would be good to handle small varianctions wi=in the skim's

desoign.

3. Autohide. I don't find much use of such a feature. But, a skin in which it could be lturned ON & OFF would be good. Further, the ability to select which of navbar, favbar, sidebar, and statusbar woudll autohide when eenabled would be even better. This would fit right in with #2.

4. Less mouse moving or clicking. Not really important to me at this time.

5. Beauty (icons / backgrounds). This is good to have and even better if easily customiable using any of the backgrounds in the Skin Center or any additional images one might pick. At the present time, the additional images only work in QA, not as backgrounds for the main browsing window/toolbsrs/etc.

That's a few ideas to expand on the points in the poll.

>

jerber replied at 2014-2-17 09:22 back.gif

When Maxthon came into existence it had the option to have the tabs on the bottom. Since Max3 and no ...

It actually doessn't require anything very special save the tool to pack and unpack a skin and a simple cut and paste of a couplde lines in one file. if the tabs are symmetric in a horizontal mirror, that is all there is to it to put tabbar top, under, or bottom. See the article here in this forum:

http://forum.maxthon.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=7433&fromuid=17653568

It gets more complicated which you want to move things in the babbar around or move up into the caption space with the tabbar, navbalr, or statusbar, etc.

The one tining I haven't figured out is how JarC made multiline tabs work. Whenever I start mucking around with his tabbar, the multiline feature breaks. But I don't know that a multiline festure would ever be very popular. I like it, but have nevler pushed it to JarC's limit; a couple lines has been enough on rare occasions.

>

joemax replied at 2014-2-17 05:22 back.gif

Every item you mention is important, but you've omitted a very important one that encompasses severa ...

Impressive skin. Is it posted somewhere here or on the Chines Forum? Is it finished enough for you to add it to your collection here. I'd like to be able to learn from it and give it a try. I might even come to like autohide, though I'd like it better it has an ON?OFF switch similar to JarC's GaryColor, BlueColor, lor SmokedGlass skins.

Thanks in advance ....to save post space.

>

It's not a skin, it's Maxthon 2. Everything done was done from default UI, I just didn't push it, nothing too fancy. The only thing that wasn't auto hide in that image was the standard toolbar(navigation and plugin bar when placed on the right side), those were hidden from the view menu.

Everything was customizable in M2, tool bars, search bar, etc could all be rearranged, you could move them anywhere(top, bottom and even on the sides) or add some if you needed. Most buttons and menus (even each item) could be moved or rearranged by using alt+drag&drop. M2 even had its own button editor built in.

SnowLeopard replied at 2014-2-17 14:09 back.gif

It actually doessn't require anything very special save the tool to pack and unpack a skin and a s ...

@joemax I recall hearing or seeing a 9-line limit. But I don't think I've ever found that limit in any of the code I've studied. So even you didn't push that limit, if there is one. I don't think I've ever pushed it as far as you did.

>

joemax replied at 2014-2-17 17:48 back.gif

It's not a skin, it's Maxthon 2. Everything done was done from default UI, I just didn't push it, no ...

Thanks for the explanation. I have never seen Mx2, so I didn't know. It certainly sounds impressive. What I wonder is why backslide in Mx3 and then agasin in Mx4. Even "rebuild on new technology" doesn't really cut it as an explanation.

And yes, the cloud addition is good, but asd it to existing functionality.

Oh the other hand, "too difficult to maintain" might be valid.

Scrastching head ....

>

SnowLeopard replied at 2014-2-18 01:13 back.gif

.What I wonder is why backslide in Mx3 and then agasin in Mx4. Even "rebuild on new technology" doesn't really cut it as an explanation.

There was no "backslide" in Mx3, and it was never meant to "rebuild". M3 was developed "anew", from scratch. The first internal releases on M3 had literally nothing for options, no fav bar, no search, no options, no tools, no extensions, no split screen... well, you get the idea. Everything about M3 was "New".

I don't think it's fair to say there was a backslide in M4 either despite having lost a few features, M4 brought the entire Cloud feature.

****And we are getting off topic

Nice idea...

Maximum visible broswing space for me, second to that is the ability to customise it myself a bit.

Auto-hide bars is unimportant to me thanks to mouse gestures. Pretty cosmetics are always nice but secondary to functionality in my book.

SnowLeopard replied at 2014-2-17 14:09 back.gif

It actually doessn't require anything very special save the tool to pack and unpack a skin and a s ...

Thanks SnowLeopard for your reply. I am an ex main frame programmer but I am having no luck getting the instructions to work. I don't know how you could make them easier but I not having any luck.

Again Thank You

jerber

Archived