Invalid Package Error Message

musings

Hello, I have an issue with installing extensions in Maxthon. After an extension finished downloading, I receive an error stating that the package is invalid. I'm using the latest beta version of Maxthon but this issue persisted in the stable version as well. My OS is Windows 8 x64. Any suggestions will be grateful.

14923428 replied at 2013-11-27 13:55 back.gif

Hi! I have the same problem with stylish. Maxthon 4.1.3.5000, Windows xp

Stylish no longer works with 4.1.3 or under. The author updated the extension to work with the Blink-based Maxthon but breaks backward-compatability with it. Same goes for Violentmonkey.

it usually happens when the def.json file is not properly formatted . It can also happen if the addon file is corrupted.

On the other hand, though I can't explain why, I've had instances where downloading/installing an addon directly from the mx extensions site, would constantly show invalid package, despite the fact others didn't have the problem, and then suddenly mysteriously, a few days later, it would download properly.

It's probably not because of the installation of Mx, unless it could be a bug with the custom-coded zlib or MxFilePackage dlls in the bin folder, they could even be corrupted, not sure.

Other than that, it might just happen a while, then fix itself, like it has for me. Or if not, try possibly clearing out the mxaddons in %appdata%/Maxthon3/Temp, and then reboot Mx, and try downloading/installing from the extensions site again. You might find luck clearing out your passport folder and then re-syncing...

and if not that, maybe it's just a fluke. sorry.

cooltext.png

Imanerd replied at 2013-11-27 13:53 back.gif

it usually happens when the def.json file is not properly formatted

however, you've missed my point that: while it might not, after all, work on previous versions of Mx, it still wouldn't cause the error which is what's being reported.

it would simply not work, would be all. Invalid package error comes from another cause, as stated. They've mentioned "downloading," NOT "install".

he didn't ask for whether or not it works in a specific version once installed, but why it gave the error in question, which is before it even gets the chance to install.

also your comment says 4.1 and under, not OVER. He's using 4.2. I'm referring to the original poster, for the record. And even besides that, the other poster says "same problem" which would imply the "invalid package;" which also would NOT be because of the incompatibility you mention. It would install, just not work correctly. Here, it's not installing in the first place. And if it truly were version-specific, and only backwards-compatibility, and this WERE the actual reason, then how come it also happens to someone using 4.2....if it happens for someone using 4.2, then it's not specific to 4.1, therefore, not correlated in cause and symptom.

if it works for 4.2, then you can't say that it's because of a lack of backwards-compatibility. It would be parallel incompatibility, but that would make no sense, because if it's designed to work on 4.2, then it's designed to work on 4.2, not the opposite . It's an invalid argument to say they're both using stylish, because it wouldn't, by your theory, be affecting 4.2....ONLY 4.1. It, by itself, shows it to be an independent cause, because the variable which is whether or not he's using the incompatible version of Mx doesn't fit the necessary dependent variables to construct such a situation. That's only with playing by the hypothesis that it would, in fact, cause an invalid package error, which it would NOT, so it still wouldn't matter that far, enough to simulate such a circumstance.

cooltext.png

Imanerd replied at 2013-11-27 17:02 back.gif

however, you've missed my point that: while it might not, after all, work on previous versions of ...

he can't update to 4.2, if he's already using 4.2, hence my point. And as said, I have install-tested MANY extensions. I can just as easily install the up-to-date violentmonkey on outdated mx3. It WILL install, it just won't work on webpages.

you've said in skype this is nonsense, yet you haven't developed extensions like I have, and tested so many after making them. You also don't even use that many extensions, with which to begin.

i know what I'm saying, just because another thread had the guy update to 4.2, doesn't mean it'll work in this case, especially if there's no such update *available*. And if the update worked, it could have been because of a fix to the dll files I've mentioned.

and sorry, shane, I've had a stressful day, sleep well, no offense intended. But bear with me that I know what I'm talking about, on this one.

User Agent: Maxthon 4.2.0.2800| Windows 8

If you see here, Maxthon3 NOT blink, and BEFORE 4.2, and 2.2.5 Violentmonkey INSTALLS withOUT said error. It won't work, but it will STILL install 4879.

oh and here we go, goodie, it's the LATEST version.

The error is a fluke, because of a corrupted zlib or filepackage dll, or because the def.json isn't properly formatted. To be outdated enough to give that error, it would have to signal 1.0.0, but it says 1.0.6!!!! It installs, not a format error. It must be either a fluke or the dll issues...deduction of logic. but NOT version-related. Version would ONLY affect the functionality ONCE it IS installed, but he can't install it in the first place! So such a basis for said argument is not only inaccurate, but also even irrelevant.

again, no bad feelings intended, shane, I just needed to say the logic of my argument.

post-11018970-14315114645349_thumb.png

post-11018970-14315114646348_thumb.png

cooltext.png

For what its worth, I've only encounter the error from these extensions; LastPass, ViolentMonkey and AdSkipper. I've found a workaround to obtain these extensions via using Internet Download Manager and under options page>file type, include MXADDON so IDM can automatically download it. Afterwards, just drag or double click the extension where its located and it should be installed. Thanks for Imanred for his suggestions and others as well.

Archived