Skins

Deivison

There's a really nice looking mod in the thread that you linked (slim tabs, slim nav bar etc.), but it's a *.mxskin file and I've no idea how to use it. I tried putting it in the "skins" directory but it has no effect...

Anyone know how to use such files?

*mxskin files are for MX3 - so to easily see what it does you would have to install 3 and put the mxskin file in the skin dir in users - from there it might be possible to make it work in 4 - to do that it has to added to the ui.dat file

possible - maybe

easy - maybe

but it depends on how old it is - a lot has changed since MX3 skins were done

a nice exercise for you

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

tony. replied at 2013-8-24 14:49 back.gif

*mxskin files are for MX3 - so to easily see what it does you would have to install 3 and put the mx ...

: ) Thanks Tony. On the thread it says it's compatible with 4.1.2.2000 so I thought I'd be able to just DL and use it.

You're right though, it will be good modding practise for me!

Edit... Yes I see now - unpacking the mxskin file gives me a load of css files which I can perhaps (hopefully) integrate with my UI.dat file. Or just pinch the variables from it.

is there a ui.dat file over there - maybe they have done it already

if not point me to the thread and i will look if you want

to integrate it copy all there is to the main dir in ui.dat - i doubt if it will work as easily as that but it depends if they have done all the work and are just expecting users to add it

tony. replied at 2013-8-24 15:04 back.gif

is there a ui.dat file over there - maybe they have done it already

if not point me to the thread a ...

Indeed it was as easy as that, I have it working now thanks although it doesn't look quite as nice as it did in the screenshot... : ) I'll have a play with it and see what I can do.

Thanks for your help.

Snero replied at 2013-8-24 14:37 back.gif

There's a really nice looking mod in the thread that you linked (slim tabs, slim nav bar etc.), but ...

I don't know which one skin do you want but almost all skins fromhttp://bbs.maxthon.cn/forum-243-1.html works for me very well without any modification.

Simply just download *.mxskin and open it/click on it.

That's all.

Look :

161xc1j.jpg

3027tya.jpg

2qn1svb.jpg

They look nice, where exactly did you find the skin in your first screenie..? I'm guessing it's one of the Chrome ones but all the ones I've tried so far still have the large sidebar.

I didn't think of just opening the skin file in Maxthon duh :-) Thanks for that. I've been playing with the files myself, I've managed to get some of the changes I want but the sidebar is fiddly so it would be nice to have one ready made.

Thanks Magg, I found it anyway and it installs fine. Looks very nice too. I tried to rate your post but I've used it up for today :)

I see that selecting a new colour in the skin options sets the layout back to default, I'll have to learn how to change that in ui.dat along with a few other tweaks I'd like to have...

Cheers.

Snero replied at 2013-8-24 17:38 back.gif

Thanks Magg, I found it anyway and it installs fine. Looks very nice too. I tried to rate your post ...

I wonder if the capability to switch skins is gong to be as easy as modifying an mxskin or ui.dat file? Whatever the answer, in the mentime switching involves double-clicking on the mxskin file tfrom the download. That should reinstall and offer the option to make it active.

I hope the devs see this: ADD A SKIN SWICHING CAPABILITY (or turn it on if that's all that's needed.)

Add a switching capability? That's been possible since the skin selector was introduced to M4. Here are some of the skins I've made or d/led since skins became available for M4, more uploaded to my Maxthon cloud. All thats needed to switch skins from the local file is one simple click. I suppose the devs could make it easier but not by much save adding a skin button like it was in M3. So despite what some people here in the forum would have you believe, it is rather easy.

post-7385961-14315112086853_thumb.jpg

thats not what he meant - the discussion whilst not obvious is about switching 'full' skins which now seem more possible than before - what you are changing is not a full skin but a background and a few othe changes

Archived