Updating MX5 to Mx6

Hi! I think this is the first time I post anything here. I've been using Maxthon since it was called MyIE (And I don't mean MyIE2, but the first one!) so... yeah, I'm a long, long, LONG time user :Smiling_Emoji_with_Smiling_Eyes_Icon_42x42: (over 22 years). Chrome didn't even exist back then :Upside-Down_Face_Emoji_Icon_42x42: Not even IE with tabs existed! Tabbed navigation, aliases, gestures... It was awesome. I was in love with it! I recommended it to everyone. So much innovation! I don't even remember which year I discovered MyIE. Maybe it was in '99? '98? Good times, anyway! Awesome!

Today I tried updating to MX6 but my page aliases are gone (I had over 50) and my custom search engines are gone too (I had over 40) :Grinmacing_Face_Emoji_42x42: even my personalized gestures.

So, I have 2 computers. One at home, (I didn't touch that one yet) and one at work, which I use remotely and had MX4 for I don't browse much there. Today I tried upgrading to MX5 (then MX6 was the idea). After installing MX5 I opened it and left it running for over 4 hours to work updating the local data and stuff that it said it was working in background. After 4 hours, the favs and history still didn't appear so I closed MX5 and reopened it. It had created a new local user profile without anything except some synced data (MX4 was at C:\Program Files\Maxthon and MX5 decided it was good to install itself in C:\Program Files\Maxthon\Maxthon5). I uninstalled MX5 and reinstalled again OVER MX4 folder. My "good" profile still didn't appear and this time I didn't get the message that the local data was being updated or anything cause it just loaded the new profile. So I tried to uninstall MX5 again and ticked the option to delete all the user data (it must delete ONLY the MX5 data, right? Wrong. It kinda deleted everything named Maxthon on my hard disk, more or less :Smiling_with_Sweat_Emoji_Icon_42x42:).

Since I was effed up I installed MX6 and logged in. I'm using it now to cry type this. Of course, everything is gone there except passwords and bookmarks... :Smiling_with_Sweat_Emoji_Icon_42x42: It feels like an empty shell of what my fully customized browser was. This is sad :Grinmacing_Face_Emoji_42x42: (I'm kinda writing this jokingly, so don't take this post the hard way, but I'm also upset, still hoping this can be fixed! :Smiling_Emoji_with_Eyes_Opened_Icon_42x42:).

I still have my personal computer back at home intact with MX5 and all my beautiful personal configuration which used to sync/port beautifully when I installed MX5 back in the day (well, not quite, but I was able to work it out back then). I didn't upgrade to MX6 yet because "Blockchain. Why do I need that?" But Google accounts don't work anymore in MX5 so I'm using Chrome... Also MX5 did away with some features I liked in MX4 and I didn't want that again into MX6 so I kept MX5. Today I wanted to just use one browser.

How can I export or get my aliases and search engines from my home MX5 into MX6 correctly? Can I port that to my Work PC? I'm an IT professional so feel free to get technical :Smiling_Emoji_with_Eyes_Opened_Icon_42x42:

If this can't be done or has to be done manually one by one (I could, but) I'll sadly go to Chrome forever, find some extensions to do the aliases and searches, I already have extensions for the mouse gestures and the tabs behavior, so it can be worked out. At least it really syncs stuff when I sign in. It will be sad to leave but also Chrome works on Android while Maxthon.apk is too reduced to even be considered a browser, so the passwords saved on one and not the other and the page's incompatibilities are getting the better of me.

I hope someone knows how to save the MX5 local profile data into the new version! :Smiling_Emoji_with_Eyes_Opened_Icon_42x42::Hungry_Face_Emoji_42x42:

4 hours ago, Ktulu789 said:

Hi! I think this is the first time I post anything here. I been using Maxthon since it was called MyIE so... yeah, I'm a long, long, LONG time user :Smiling_Emoji_with_Smiling_Eyes_Icon_42x42: (over 20 years). Chrome didn't exist back then :Upside-Down_Face_Emoji_Icon_42x42: Not even IE with tabs existed! Tabbed navigation, aliases, gestures... It was awesome. I was in love with it! I recommended it to everyone. So much innovation. I don't even remember which year I discovered MyIE. Maybe it was in '99? Good times, anyway! Awesome!

Today I tried updating to MX6 but my page aliases are gone (I had over 50) and my custom search engines are gone too (I had over 40) :Grinmacing_Face_Emoji_42x42:.

So, I have 2 computers. One at home, (I didn't touch that one yet) and one at work, which I use remotely and had MX4 for I don't browse much there. Today I tried upgrading to MX5 (then MX6 was the idea). After installing MX5 I opened it and left it running for over 4 hours to work updating the local data and stuff that it said it was working in background. After 4 hours, the favs and history still didn't appear so I closed MX5 and reopened it. It had created a new local user profile without anything except some synced data (MX4 was at C:\Program Files\Maxthon and MX5 decided it was good to install itself in C:\Program Files\Maxthon\Maxthon5). I uninstalled MX5 and reinstalled again OVER MX4 folder. My "good" profile still didn't appear and this time I didn't get the message that the local data was being updated or anything cause it just loaded the new profile. So I tried to uninstall MX5 again and ticked the option to delete all the user data (it must delete ONLY the MX5 data, right? Wrong. It kinda deleted everything named Maxthon on my hard disk, more or less :Smiling_with_Sweat_Emoji_Icon_42x42:).

Since I was effed up I installed MX6 and logged in. I'm using it now to cry type this. Of course, everything is gone there except passwords and bookmarks... :Smiling_with_Sweat_Emoji_Icon_42x42: It feels like an empty shell of what my fully customized browser was. This is sad :Smiling_with_Sweat_Emoji_Icon_42x42: (I'm kinda writing this jokingly, so don't take this post the hard way, but I'm also upset, still hoping this can be fixed! :Smiling_Emoji_with_Eyes_Opened_Icon_42x42:).

I still have my personal computer back at home intact with MX5 and all my beautiful personal configuration which used to sync/port beautifully when I installed MX5 back in the day (well, not quite, but I was able to work it out back then). I didn't upgrade to MX6 yet because "Blockchain. Why do I need that?" But Google accounts don't work anymore in MX5 so I'm using Chrome... Also MX5 did away with some features I liked in MX4 and I didn't want that again into MX6 so I kept MX5. Today I wanted to just use one browser.

How can I export or get my aliases and search engines from my home MX5 into MX6 correctly? Can I port that to my Work PC? I'm an IT professional so feel free to get technical :Smiling_Emoji_with_Eyes_Opened_Icon_42x42:

If this can't be done or has to be done manually one by one (I could, but) I'll sadly go to Chrome forever, find some extensions to do the aliases and searches, I already have extensions for the mouse gestures and the tabs behavior, so it can be worked out. At least it really syncs stuff when I sign in. It will be sad to leave but also Chrome works on Android while Maxthon.apk is too reduced to even be considered a browser, so the passwords saved on one and not the other and the page's incompatibilities are getting the better of me.

I hope someone knows how to save the MX5 local profile data into the new version! :Smiling_Emoji_with_Eyes_Opened_Icon_42x42::Hungry_Face_Emoji_42x42:

Hi Ktulu789, current we do not support the import of search engines data. We have already feedback to the development team and they will consider to add it in for future version.

2 hours ago, Ktulu789 said:

Is the AdBlocker gone?

You could download AdBlock from the Chrome web store.

8 hours ago, BugSir009 said:

Hi Ktulu789, current we do not support the import of search engines data. We have already feedback to the development team and they will consider to add it in for future version.

Thanks for the reply!

Forget exporting/importing. Is there no way to upgrade my MX5 into MX6 at home keeping everything/most of the settings?

A quick search found me a Chrome extension that syncs with Google URL-Alias. I would go that way instead of setting everything up manually (on both computers and repeat the next time a new major version is released). In over 20 years of using MyIE/MyIE2/Maxthon I never had to do that. Gestures, aliases, search engines, favs, passwords, history and notes together with many settings were just carried over.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:39 AM, Ktulu789 said:

Thanks for the reply!

Forget exporting/importing. Is there no way to upgrade my MX5 into MX6 at home keeping everything/most of the settings?

A quick search found me a Chrome extension that syncs with Google URL-Alias. I would go that way instead of setting everything up manually (on both computers and repeat the next time a new major version is released). In over 20 years of using MyIE/MyIE2/Maxthon I never had to do that. Gestures, aliases, search engines, favs, passwords, history and notes together with many settings were just carried over.

Hi Ktulu789, we have already feedback to the development team and they will consider to add in the option to import all settings in future. This require more planning and testing to add in the function thus will need more time if they were to implement. As of now, you will have to manually add your MX5 settings into MX6.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my experience with changing from Mx5 portable to Mx6 portable. I made the move in June 21 and everything today works smoothly, which was not the case last year. I still have Mx5 installed as I still use it sometimes when I need to boot into XP and I can refer to its History should I need to.
I had to manually update my mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts using my actual Mx5 settings as my guide. Addons/extensions were done separately as were all the other stuff in Settings. I forget how I moved Passkeeper across but I used the built in export/import to get my Favorites installed. The import did work 100% but it took ages. 
I did the whole change bit by bit over several weeks while using Mx5 in the meantime. The devs could definitely have made it a lot easier for us and my impression was that the whole process was amateurish with no published roadmap for upgrading leaving us to all make different mistakes along the way. This is not the first time that Mx version upgrades have been challenging but for me at least the devs seem more open to make improvements and fix bugs more quickly than before.
But I love it now and all is forgiven (almost). So stick with it Ktulu it can be done and you will be happy. I too am a longtime user, still have my last working copy of MyIE2 using the Turbo Qute skin from 2003.

BTW Mx Android works well for me including Passkeeper

10 hours ago, skidude said:

This is my experience with changing from Mx5 portable to Mx6 portable. I made the move in June 21 and everything today works smoothly, which was not the case last year. I still have Mx5 installed as I still use it sometimes when I need to boot into XP and I can refer to its History should I need to.
I had to manually update my mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts using my actual Mx5 settings as my guide. Addons/extensions were done separately as were all the other stuff in Settings. I forget how I moved Passkeeper across but I used the built in export/import to get my Favorites installed. The import did work 100% but it took ages. 
I did the whole change bit by bit over several weeks while using Mx5 in the meantime. The devs could definitely have made it a lot easier for us and my impression was that the whole process was amateurish with no published roadmap for upgrading leaving us to all make different mistakes along the way. This is not the first time that Mx version upgrades have been challenging but for me at least the devs seem more open to make improvements and fix bugs more quickly than before.
But I love it now and all is forgiven (almost). So stick with it Ktulu it can be done and you will be happy. I too am a longtime user, still have my last working copy of MyIE2 using the Turbo Qute skin from 2003.

BTW Mx Android works well for me including Passkeeper

Maxthon Snap20220728112051.png

On 7/15/2022 at 4:37 AM, Ktulu789 said:

Hi! I think this is the first time I post anything here. I been using Maxthon since it was called MyIE so... yeah, I'm a long, long, LONG time user :Smiling_Emoji_with_Smiling_Eyes_Icon_42x42: (over 20 years). Chrome didn't exist back then :Upside-Down_Face_Emoji_Icon_42x42: Not even IE with tabs existed! Tabbed navigation, aliases, gestures... It was awesome. I was in love with it! I recommended it to everyone. So much innovation. I don't even remember which year I discovered MyIE. Maybe it was in '99? Good times, anyway! Awesome!

Today I tried updating to MX6 but my page aliases are gone (I had over 50) and my custom search engines are gone too (I had over 40) :Grinmacing_Face_Emoji_42x42:.

hey Ktulu789

I didnt get answer when I asked, but Im in the same position as you. luckily most of the things and data are fine, but is it possible to use multi search engine? I cant find it and I loved searching by drag&drop and then switching between different search engines. there's some addon for that?

and over the years I have had it set up that when I highlighted some text on website and clicked left and right mouse button it searched on the website. now its gone?

5 hours ago, cphx said:

I didnt get answer when I asked, but Im in the same position as you. luckily most of the things and data are fine, but is it possible to use multi search engine? I cant find it and I loved searching by drag&drop and then switching between different search engines. there's some addon for that?

Hi cphx, request recorded.

5 hours ago, cphx said:

and over the years I have had it set up that when I highlighted some text on website and clicked left and right mouse button it searched on the website. now its gone?

This function is still available when you highlight words and do a right click to search.

image.png

3 hours ago, BugSir009 said:

Hi cphx, request recorded.

This function is still available when you highlight words and do a right click to search.

thanks, hope that multi search engine comes back because it was perfect especially when we could add there custom engines.

as for the second one, it was (i dont remember if I set that up, or that was by default) in mouse gestures I guess, it worked for me like searching on the page with ctrl+f

35 minutes ago, cphx said:

as for the second one, it was (i dont remember if I set that up, or that was by default) in mouse gestures I guess, it worked for me like searching on the page with ctrl+f

Hi cphx, currently for the search shortcut you could select the word and do a "right click + h" to select the search engine you would like to search under.

1 hour ago, BugSir009 said:

Hi cphx, currently for the search shortcut you could select the word and do a "right click + h" to select the search engine you would like to search under.

no,no BigSir :) in mx 5 because I still have it on my old laptop there's a mouse gesture: Hold left button then right click. and to this gesture I have assigned command to find in page. was quite useful, at least for me :) there is this gesture to use in mx6, but there's no Find in page.. action to assign. thank you for your concern

Archived