Forced update...is this official or is my PC compromised?

vedicaudio

I'm running Maxthon 5.3.8.2000. I have not had any issues with it for more than 12 months. Today though, a pop-up window came up telling me that an update had been downloaded, and there was a button to press to restart Maxthon and install the update. I never remember updates being delivered this way. I suspected maybe my PC had been attacked, so I closed Maxthon. When I tried to restart Maxthon, Windows asked me if it was OK for "mxup.exe" by "Unknown publisher" to make changes to my computer. I clicked "NO" and Maxthon did not open. Eventually I was able to get Maxthon to start again by first deleting all the contents of the AppData\Roaming\Maxthon5\Temp folder.

Can anyone explain to me what happened here? I never had an update forced on me by Maxthon before...And why now? Mx 5.3.8.2000 is the latest official version of MX5. If this is a legitimate update, what version is it trying to update me to? What actions should I take to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

1 hour ago, vedicaudio said:

I'm running Maxthon 5.3.8.2000. I have not had any issues with it for more than 12 months. Today though, a pop-up window came up telling me that an update had been downloaded, and there was a button to press to restart Maxthon and install the update. I never remember updates being delivered this way. I suspected maybe my PC had been attacked, so I closed Maxthon. When I tried to restart Maxthon, Windows asked me if it was OK for "mxup.exe" by "Unknown publisher" to make changes to my computer. I clicked "NO" and Maxthon did not open. Eventually I was able to get Maxthon to start again by first deleting all the contents of the AppData\Roaming\Maxthon5\Temp folder.

Can anyone explain to me what happened here? I never had an update forced on me by Maxthon before...And why now? Mx 5.3.8.2000 is the latest official version of MX5. If this is a legitimate update, what version is it trying to update me to? What actions should I take to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hi vedicaudio, yes our team did push an update yesterday. It is to optimize some of the functions as well as to fix some bugs found. As for the unknown publisher, we have already informed the development team about this and they will look into it to make sure the same thing will not happen again. Thank you for flagging this out to us and do be assured that the update is safe for download :)

• 2 weeks later...

BugSir009, thanks for the information. But you left some of my questions unanswered. Can you explain why the update was "pushed" through with automatic installation? That is not the usual procedure that MX5 has had in the past.

Mx 5.3.8.2000 is the latest official version of MX5, which I already had for a long time. What version is this "pushed" update trying to update me to?

Archived