×

Give a tip

Beta version


Recommended Posts

I have this question posted elsewhere, but I did not get a response, thought I would try again.

Hi,

If I install the version 5.3.8.2100 for MX5, will this new install overwrite my previous version of MX5?

I noticed that when I checked the version number on "Help - About", it constantly tells me there is no new updates available.

Or, will I have 2 versions of MX5 installed on my laptop?

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dfpeddle said:

I have this question posted elsewhere, but I did not get a response, thought I would try again.

Hi,

If I install the version 5.3.8.2100 for MX5, will this new install overwrite my previous version of MX5?

I noticed that when I checked the version number on "Help - About", it constantly tells me there is no new updates available.

Or, will I have 2 versions of MX5 installed on my laptop?

Yes, it will overwrite the previous version. You will not have 2 installations.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dfpeddle said:

I have this question posted elsewhere, but I did not get a response, thought I would try again.

Hi,

If I install the version 5.3.8.2100 for MX5, will this new install overwrite my previous version of MX5?

I noticed that when I checked the version number on "Help - About", it constantly tells me there is no new updates available.

Or, will I have 2 versions of MX5 installed on my laptop?

yes. It will overwrite.

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response.

I installed the portable version of the 5.3.8.2000 browser on a stick, just to see if it would work; never tried a portable version before.

It performs pretty much the same as the main version. The big problem I had, was that I could not log into my Google account from the portable. I keep getting a message from Google telling me that browser is not supported. (I am still logged in on the main version, and a can use the Google Hangouts plug-in.)

I am afraid if I upgrade to the 5.3.8.2100 version, I may not be able to log in to Google again. 

I wish you had a portable version of 5.3.8.2100 to try out....if I am locked out of that version, I can still use my previous one.

 

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dfpeddle said:

Thanks for the response.

I installed the portable version of the 5.3.8.2000 browser on a stick, just to see if it would work; never tried a portable version before.

It performs pretty much the same as the main version. The big problem I had, was that I could not log into my Google account from the portable. I keep getting a message from Google telling me that browser is not supported. (I am still logged in on the main version, and a can use the Google Hangouts plug-in.)

I am afraid if I upgrade to the 5.3.8.2100 version, I may not be able to log in to Google again. 

I wish you had a portable version of 5.3.8.2100 to try out....if I am locked out of that version, I can still use my previous one.

 

Or you can try mx6 portable which is more compatible to google services.

 

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2021 at 2:20 AM, dfpeddle said:

Thanks for the response.

I installed the portable version of the 5.3.8.2000 browser on a stick, just to see if it would work; never tried a portable version before.

It performs pretty much the same as the main version. The big problem I had, was that I could not log into my Google account from the portable. I keep getting a message from Google telling me that browser is not supported. (I am still logged in on the main version, and a can use the Google Hangouts plug-in.)

I am afraid if I upgrade to the 5.3.8.2100 version, I may not be able to log in to Google again. 

I wish you had a portable version of 5.3.8.2100 to try out....if I am locked out of that version, I can still use my previous one.

 

https://dl.maxthon.com/mx5/maxthon_portable_5.3.8.2100-beta.7z

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

thanks for the link to the portable beta.

I tried it on both a stick and my laptop. It is a bit slow to load on the stick, and at times almost crashes when opening a page.

It is much faster and stable operating from my desktop, very pleased with the speed.

I installed the Skype and Google Hangouts plug-ins, and they are operating as the previous version did. I had no problem logging into my Google account this time.

The problem with the Skype plug-in has not changed, unfortunately. I try to make a video call, and I still get a message telling me there is a problem with the video and audio settings. In the Settings - Audio & Video section, there is a slight change in the page display; it now shows a black screen where my webcam picture should be. That was missing in the previous version of the browser. It lists the 2 webcam choices available( the built in, and the plug-in cam with a better picture quality), but both are solid black on that selection. I know the webcam is working; I checked it online through a webpage checker using the beta version.

Please see the attachment for a screenshot of the audio & video options on Skype.

ScreenShot026.jpg

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dfpeddle said:

The problem with the Skype plug-in has not changed, unfortunately. I try to make a video call, and I still get a message telling me there is a problem with the video and audio settings. In the Settings - Audio & Video section, there is a slight change in the page display; it now shows a black screen where my webcam picture should be. That was missing in the previous version of the browser. It lists the 2 webcam choices available( the built in, and the plug-in cam with a better picture quality), but both are solid black on that selection. I know the webcam is working; I checked it online through a webpage checker using the beta version.

Hi there, this issue probably caused by the system. You can also try to switch the webpage to retro mode then try this issue again.

To switch the mode, you can click Switch Core.

MaxthonSnap20210219125548.png

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dfpeddle said:

Hi,

I just tried switching cores as suggested, but it made no difference. Exact same error as before.

Wondering if there was anybody working on an update on the Skype plug-in, that might fix that issue.

Hi there, would you like to update the Windows system to Windows 10? Skype update itself frequently, and it probably cause many issues in the Windows XP and Vista systems.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

This laptop is getting old, and not really worth updating to a newer system. The processor is an Intel Centrino Duo, not powerful enough for the latest programs. I'm better off buying a new laptop.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.