Maxthon freezes my internet connection on my desktop often

weitogo

Hi all,

When openning a new webpage, I often encounter the problem of frozen/jammed internet connection for many seconds during which my download and browsing freeze. It especially causes pain when the files I download do not support resumable downloads and I have to start them all over again.

Has anyone else come across this issue? How can it be dealt with if at all?

Thanks.

15 hours ago, weitogo said:

Hi all,

When openning a new webpage, I often encounter the problem of frozen/jammed internet connection for many seconds during which my download and browsing freeze. It especially causes pain when the files I download do not support resumable downloads and I have to start them all over again.

Has anyone else come across this issue? How can it be dealt with if at all?

Thanks.

Hi weitogo, could you let me know the version of your browser? The Maxthon 6 browser has been released, would you like to have a try?

Download link. https://dl.maxthon.cn/mx6/mx6.0.0.2400_beta.exe

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 2:33 PM, BugSir006 said:

Hi weitogo, could you let me know the version of your browser? The Maxthon 6 browser has been released, would you like to have a try?

Download link. https://dl.maxthon.cn/mx6/mx6.0.0.2400_beta.exe

Hi BugSir006, 

Thanks for getting back to me. The version I am using is v5.2.7.2000 portable. I might as well try mx6. Thanks for the suggestion. Nevertheless, it would be great to know what might have caused the issue.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:26 PM, weitogo said:

Hi BugSir006, 

Thanks for getting back to me. The version I am using is v5.2.7.2000 portable. I might as well try mx6. Thanks for the suggestion. Nevertheless, it would be great to know what might have caused the issue.

Hi there, probably the error user data caused the freeze issue. You can try to delete the folder "UserData" then log in to sync the data again.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:53 PM, weitogo said:

Thanks again.

Would it cause any issues if I delete the folder and its content?

Hi weitogo, if you don't have the browser account, your user data will lose after deleting the folder "UserData." 

1 hour ago, BlackSun said:

I also have the same problems. Maxthon freezes often.

use maxthon v5.3.8.2000

Hi there, we recommend you to install v5.3.8.2100.

https://dl.maxthon.com/mx5/mx5.3.8.2100-beta.exe

7 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi weitogo, if you don't have the browser account, your user data will lose after deleting the folder "UserData." 

That leads to another issue I have been having. For some time now, my account's cloud storage data size is very small, currently at 68.28mb. In other words, it does not appear that it syncs properly. So I am wary of deleting local user data.

10 hours ago, weitogo said:

That leads to another issue I have been having. For some time now, my account's cloud storage data size is very small, currently at 68.28mb. In other words, it does not appear that it syncs properly. So I am wary of deleting local user data.

Hi there, could you let me know which content sync failed? If the browser has the error message, such as "sync failed," please send a screenshot to me.

1 hour ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi there, could you let me know which content sync failed? If the browser has the error message, such as "sync failed," please send a screenshot to me.

Well, there aren't any error messages per se, or at least not for a while. But I do notice there is older and less user data available synced to a new version of Maxthon browser newly installed. And then I have to manually move local data from older version browser if I am lucky enough to accomplish that successfully. I wish I can have more control over the data sync between my pc and cloud storage. It does not seem that migration of user data from older version to newer version via cloud storage is happening for me even though the sync seems up to date with my account.

21 hours ago, weitogo said:

Well, there aren't any error messages per se, or at least not for a while. But I do notice there is older and less user data available synced to a new version of Maxthon browser newly installed. And then I have to manually move local data from older version browser if I am lucky enough to accomplish that successfully. I wish I can have more control over the data sync between my pc and cloud storage. It does not seem that migration of user data from older version to newer version via cloud storage is happening for me even though the sync seems up to date with my account.

Hi there, could you let me know which content of the data cannot be synced? Maxnote and passwords data can sync to cloud and sync to other devices.

30 minutes ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi there, could you let me know which content of the data cannot be synced? Maxnote and passwords data can sync to cloud and sync to other devices.

Bookmarks. Do they get synced at all or is local manual transfer the only way to go? Even with local transfer, I have failed, which is why I haven't been able to upgrade to a later version.

2 minutes ago, weitogo said:

Bookmarks. Do they get synced at all or is local manual transfer the only way to go? Even with local transfer, I have failed, which is why I haven't been able to upgrade to a later version.

Hi weitogo, bookmarks data under your browser account should be synced automatically. Try logging in to uu.me then check the data online, please. If the data fails to sync to uu.me please send screenshots or a short video of this issue to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 5:55 PM, BugSir006 said:

Hi weitogo, bookmarks data under your browser account should be synced automatically. Try logging in to uu.me then check the data online, please. If the data fails to sync to uu.me please send screenshots or a short video of this issue to me.

I can only sometimes manage to manually transfer bookmarks by using 'import/export user data' function. Under mx://note/, it appears that "synchoronizing...' keeps going endlessly without making any difference.

Also, the connection freezing problem persists after I started using the lastest version of maxthon portable. Therefore, I do not think there is any problem with userdata as the Maxthon portable folder is freshly created. Sometimes, when I have both MaxthonPortable_5.3.8.2000 and Maxthon mx6.0.0.2601_beta running. Browsing on MX6 can also triger freezes causing both versions to lose connections at the same time, only to be restored after some seconds or minutes.

And I never know when this issue will occur again next time. Sometimes, if I realise quickly enough a new page is not opening up, I can prevent the freeze from occuring by closing that tab promptly. But I cannot always be so lucky to catch it before it freezes properly when my downloadings are disconnected with some of which not able to resume from where they were dropped. Quite annoying and frustrating.

Any other suggestions?

On 8/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, BugSir006 said:

Could you provide your browser account and password? I will test it on my end as soon as possible.

A little update. I have managed to transfer my latest bookmarks from MaxthonPortable mx5.3.8.2000 to Maxthon installed version mx5.3.8.2100-beta manually via HTML file. But synchonization of maxnote is still not working for me. Or it is taking infinite amount of time if it is working at all. So, how quickly can one expect synchonization to finish each time if it is assumed to be working properly?

I assume synchonization means my cloud account data including bookmarks gets updated each time I make any changes locally. And when I switch to a different version of Maxthon browser on the same device or on different devices, the lastest changes will be made automatically to the Maxthon browser I use at the time? Unfortunately, that has not been the case at least for a long time for me if ever since the introduction of Maxthon cloud.

If I give you my account name and password, what would be involved in the tests you can do on your end that is related to the issue of synchonization and connection dropouts as mentioned earlier? Would I be able to do those tests myself?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 6:52 PM, BugSir006 said:

Hi @weitogo, if you have the large data of bookmarks, it properly needs to spend much time to sync. If it is convenient for you to provide the account and password, I will log in to your browser account for testing the sync speed.

I guess that sort of explains the sync speed even though it shoud not have taken forever as the size of bookmarks to transfer locally is only 30mb. How long does it take to sync 30mb to the cloud? Anyway, the bookmarks sync issue is not a big problem as I have successfully import/export bookmarks locally. Let's say Maxthon cloud sync feature does not agree with me.

The other issue is more painful. It keeps bugging me everyday and I have no clue why it happens. It is not my internet connection, it is mostly likely Maxthon browser related. It is like traffic jams while loading components of a webpage which leads to seconds of standstill which in turn discrupts my downloads, many of which are not resumable.

23 minutes ago, weitogo said:

I guess that sort of explains the sync speed even though it shoud not have taken forever as the size of bookmarks to transfer locally is only 30mb. How long does it take to sync 30mb to the cloud? Anyway, the bookmarks sync issue is not a big problem as I have successfully import/export bookmarks locally. Let's say Maxthon cloud sync feature does not agree with me.

The other issue is more painful. It keeps bugging me everyday and I have no clue why it happens. It is not my internet connection, it is mostly likely Maxthon browser related. It is like traffic jams while loading components of a webpage which leads to seconds of standstill which in turn discrupts my downloads, many of which are not resumable.

Hi there, how about the Maxthon 6 browser?

3 hours ago, weitogo said:

May I suggest trying to replicate the issue by downloading multiple (5 or more) large files (1GB or larger) with Maxthon download manager over multiple days? It might be a bug that needs fixing?

Hi there, currently, Maxthon doesn't have plan to update the Maxthon 5 browser, so we recommend you to install the Maxthon 6.

If you have any questions in Maxthon 6 please feel free to contact me.

It would be appreciated if you can provide screenshots or a short video of the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

To anyone who has seen or will see this post, I have found out what caused the disconnections with my Maxthon browser. I would like to correct myself in saying that Maxthon was at fault. Rather, Malwarebytes (Premium) was the culprit. As soon as Malwarebytes (Premium) trial period expired, the problem went away.

It felt like Malwarebytes sometimes could not handle all the demands when webpages were loading, which led to a bottle neck that jammed the browser internet connection competely for a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

I guess the lesson is that when you expience similar issues, it is likely that your security softwares might be at fault.

Thanks BugSir006 for your patience and help, and sorry for having waited your precious time.

Archived