Confusion...MX 5 &MX 6

I am currently using MX 5.3.8.2000 stable version.  I now see there is a MX 6 but it says Alpha and Beta.  I see no stable version.  Then I saw where it said MX 6 may not be compatible with MX5.  So now I'm not sure if I even want to go to MX6.  I don't know if it is stable or unstable.  Is there any videos that let us actually see MX 6 in real use?  What are the differences between MX 5 and MX 6?  If I change to MX 6 is it going to carry forward everything from MX 5 or am I going to have to re-invent the wheel and start all over again from scratch?  When we went from MX 3 to Mx 4 and to MX 5 everything carried across as it should.  Right now, I'm a little hesitant to install MX 6 because I don't know enough about it yet.  Can anybody help me know what is really happening?

I'm not sure what you consider "stable" but I haven't found anything "unstable" in any of the MX6 Alphas or beta. Where did you "see" that MX6 may not be "compatible" with MX5"? MX6 installs into a completely different folder than MX5 and can be installed and tested while still having MX5 installed and used as your main browser. And if you have a passport account, everything that you have saved into that account will be transferred to MX6 once you log-in. And the main difference between the 2 versions is that MX6 now uses the chromium core and is now compatible with Chrome extensions. However, as Magdalene has mentioned, though it is a stable browser, MX6 is still in beta (just out of alpha in the last couple of weeks) and is not yet complete with several features yet to be implemented. But please, alpha and beta in no way mean "unstable", as I think that term is way out of date. What you are looking for is a version that will be labeled as "final".

On 7/1/2020 at 2:42 PM, Magdalene said:

Don't bother using MX6 at the moment unless you're a tester. It's missing far too many of the standard Maxthon features. Upgrade your MX5 to this

https://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/release-notes5/ (don't worry about the Beta tag)

Thank you, hopefully when 6 is ready to use they will use something that identifies it as being "final" or "official".

On 7/1/2020 at 3:11 PM, rick.lane said:

I'm not sure what you consider "stable" but I haven't found anything "unstable" in any of the MX6 Alphas or beta. Where did you "see" that MX6 may not be "compatible" with MX5"? MX6 installs into a completely different folder than MX5 and can be installed and tested while still having MX5 installed and used as your main browser. And if you have a passport account, everything that you have saved into that account will be transferred to MX6 once you log-in. And the main difference between the 2 versions is that MX6 now uses the chromium core and is now compatible with Chrome extensions. However, as Magdalene has mentioned, though it is a stable browser, MX6 is still in beta (just out of alpha in the last couple of weeks) and is not yet complete with several features yet to be implemented. But please, alpha and beta in no way mean "unstable", as I think that term is way out of date. What you are looking for is a version that will be labeled as "final".

Thank you.  Hopefully when 6 is ready they will use something that identifies it as being "final" or "official".

13 minutes ago, nevergetany said:

Thank you, hopefully when 6 is ready to use they will use something that identifies it as being "final" or "official".

Thank you.  Hopefully when 6 is ready they will use something that identifies it as being "final" or "official".

when was MX5 final or official - its still beta - ok every so often it becomes a release but then it gets updated or a few bugs fixed and its back to beta

MX6 will be no different and as to it being 'ready' it will never be finished - no software ever is - it might get to a point where its usable but that wont be for a long time imo - theres far too much missing and asked for - all we get is its been added to the list for the devs - if that follows the MX5 list then we will wait forever - just look at the stuff that was asked for on 5 that never got done

so use 6 or not or find something thats more complete 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Archived