Maxthon 6 Alpha 2 Test Report

BugSir006

1.png

Maxthon 6 chooses Chromium as the kernel, and its basic functions have been developed. Last week, the MX6 alpha 2 test was successfully completed.

A total of close to 350 people joined the test. They were recruited from user groups and communities worldwide. Most of them are old users who have always used Maxthon, and nearly 95% have experienced the Chrome browser. The majority of test users are men between the ages of 25-45.

We have received 189 user feedback through the questionnaire and email. Thank you for your active participation.

High user expectation

{83DD9B3F-7DD6-4CAB-BFC1-A55C4B4BAA1F}_20200410154138.jpg

Regarding the user expectation for MX6, 76.82% of users rate the expectation with more than 4 stars, and even 47.83% of users rate 5 stars. Many users said that MX6 responses faster, the webpage opens smoothly and the interface is simple. Meanwhile, they are looking forward to blockchain apps in MX6.

Focus on the stability of system and data sync

When testing the sync function this time, only 40% of users had a smooth experience, while other users encountered some data error, such as Maxnote data syncing error, Passkeeper data syncing error, New Tab data syncing error and so on. Apart from network and personal factors, the stability of data syncing is far below expected standard.

MX6 needs to be compatible with users historical data for more than 10 years in the new system with the Chromium kernel. The integration of data and system is the biggest challenge for MX6, but we are confident to overcome the difficulty and provide you with a more stable and safe browser. The MX6 development team decided to set up a dedicated team to solve this problem and promise to improve the stability when the Beta version is released.

Looking forward to Chrome addons optimization

3.png

From user feedback, we can see most users are accustomed to the MX5 original functions, such as New Tab, Passkeeper, Maxnote, etc. While for the interactive functions with Chrome,  users want to optimize them, especially Chrome addons.

We will focus on optimizing these functions in the Beta version. In addition, we will establish a common Chrome addons library, so people could download addons easily.

Looking forward to more classic functions of MX5

Most users hope that MX6 can inherit classic functions of MX5, especially resource sniffer, snap and status bar.

We will do the code refactoring for each feature in the new framework, and we will continue to update these features in the Beta version and subsequent versions. Under the situation of global epidemic, MX6 team works at home in different places in the world. MX6 will be improved according to the following priorities.

First, improve the stability of the new system and data sync;

Second,  improve the basic browser function;

Third, optimize functions and increase satisfaction;

MX6 next stage plan

MX6 team will focus on bug fixes for the Alpha 2 version and the development of the Beta version.

• Optimize system stability and reduce page frozen and system crashes;
  • Optimize data syncing;
  • Optimize the interactive experience of settings, bookmarks, history, download, addons, etc. and provide more convenient operations;
  • Inherit classic functions of MX5;
  • Setup a common Chrome addons library;
  • Increase compatibility of ad-blocking functions and addons;
  • Add the first-generation blockchain functional module;

Please continue to follow Maxthon Browser.  We will continue to introduce the new features of MX6, and we will share our plans and ideas of MX6. Thanks again for your subscription and test, we will work hard to provide you a better MX6.

Developer Question:

Why are you adding old Maxthon Extensions to the new Maxthon 6?
The Chrome Extension Store has just as good and even BETTER extensions than Maxthons for example your "Snap Screen".  There are like 3 Snapshot Extensions at least in the Chrome Store way better than it.  This seems like a waste of time?

I mean, I get adding it maybe in the future if you make a super duper one, that's the best of any or as good as anything anyone else has made, then I can see adding it.  But Snap Screen is WAY less featured than the 2 or 3 best page snapping extensions in the Store.  I think you should be spending time on other things.  A chromium browser isn't the old Maxthon, so needing to have default extensions in the browser itself shouldn't be a priority in my view since we have all the extensions we want, but BETTER, in the Chrome Store.

Make a better extension then I can see adding it to the browser, but I don't want to use Snap Screen, it's WAY less featured for example.  You are taking up space on my Toolbar and making things inconvenient for me.  If you "really" want to add your own extensions (which again I don't recommend, save as I already indicated), they need to be added to the Extension section so we can remove them, or have some other way to remove them.

p.s. I get if you're adding an extension that doesn't exist or is as good in the Chrome Store, but again, your ad blocker and your page snapping tool isn't even as good/featured as Ad Block Plus or Nimbus Screenshot for example.

32 minutes ago, leeuniverse said:

Developer Question:

The Chrome Extension Store has just as good and even BETTER extensions than Maxthons for example your "Snap Screen".  There are like 3 Snapshot Extensions at least in the Chrome Store way better than it.  This seems like a waste of time?

I mean, I get adding it maybe in the future if you make a super duper one, that's the best of any or as good as anything anyone else has made, then I can see adding it.  But Snap Screen is WAY less featured than the 2 or 3 best page snapping extensions in the Store.  I think you should be spending time on other things.  A chromium browser isn't the old Maxthon, so needing to have default extensions in the browser itself shouldn't be a priority in my view since we have all the extensions we want, but BETTER, in the Chrome Store.

Make a better extension then I can see adding it to the browser, but I don't want to use Snap Screen, it's WAY less featured for example.  You are taking up space on my Toolbar and making things inconvenient for me.  If you "really" want to add your own extensions (which again I don't recommend, save as I already indicated), they need to be added to the Extension section so we can remove them, or have some other way to remove them.

p.s. I get if you're adding an extension that doesn't exist or is as good in the Chrome Store, but again, your ad blocker and your page snapping tool isn't even as good/featured as Ad Block Plus or Nimbus Screenshot for example.

i agree and disagree - have not looked at the new build but on your point that there are better extensions than snap in the chrome store i beg to differ on what i have looked at - that said i have not tried all thats listed so would be interested to look at what you say is better - please list them

snap in m6 fills the requirement for many but it should be a separate extension - whether others are better or worse is not really the issue - if a user wants to use something else then they should be able to remove the m6 version otherwise it just bloats the install

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

3 hours ago, leeuniverse said:

Sorry, but, at the risk of being wrong, no extension I found in chrome store, captures outside the browser like maxthon's snap does.

There are other integrated features, which I still can't find as they are in maxthon, the status bar, the video tab and the possibility of onsite download that it does, to say a few more. 

There may be "similar" extensions, but they are not close in my opinion to the ones integrated in maxthon.

Finally, I was always on the side of being able to integrate chrome extensions, as well as other features (flags, pass export, etc, ), but not on the condition that maxthon lost its identity, which are those little things that make it different from a chrome + extensions.

If it wasn't the case, why would I have to choose maxthon over the chrome itself, what does maxthon give me, without its features, if in the end it is a "minimo" chrome with extensions? Why should I choose maxthon then, when there are already platforms as opera with a much more active development, which also bring chrome extension, or vivaldi?

On 4/12/2020 at 9:11 PM, leeuniverse said:

Developer Question:

IF YOU DIDN'T NEED IT OR SEE THAT GOOD, WE LOVE IT AND SEE THAT GOOD ... SO IF YOU DIDN'T LOVE IT DON'T ADD IT

I DON'T NEED TO FEEL LIKE I USING CHROME ... I NEED MX SYSTEM 

On 4/12/2020 at 1:50 PM, Tony said:

i agree and disagree - have not looked at the new build but on your point that there are better extensions than snap in the chrome store i beg to differ on what i have looked at - that said i have not tried all thats listed so would be interested to look at what you say is better - please list them

snap in m6 fills the requirement for many but it should be a separate extension - whether others are better or worse is not really the issue - if a user wants to use something else then they should be able to remove the m6 version otherwise it just bloats the install

1. Snap Screen you can't "edit" the Page.  So, you can "save" a copy of the page, but you can't edit it.  ALL of the major screenshot extensions can do this.
Further, there is a bug in snap screen.  My testing it it only properly saved half the page on the one page I tried, the last half of the page was missing it's images.  Now, it's possible I wasn't on the page long enough, or maybe it's something how the page loads images, etc.  But, other Screenshot tools will "scroll" the page before you save and/or edit it and then saving it.

2. I do get the benefits of having some key tools in Maxthon whether it's privacy, stability, etc.  I just think we should be making sure is an extension isn't added unless it's at least better than pretty much ALL similar extensions.

One thing I had forgotten is that one good thing about having some extensions in the browser, is that like with Snap Screen, it allows you to save to MaxNote.
So, that's certainly a benefit.  But, it's really flawed to me, because I primarily save "pages", thus not being able to "edit" a saved page is a BIG missing feature for me.

On 4/12/2020 at 4:39 PM, pantantrollo said:

Sorry, but, at the risk of being wrong, no extension I found in chrome store, captures outside the browser like maxthon's snap does.

There are other integrated features, which I still can't find as they are in maxthon, the status bar, the video tab and the possibility of onsite download that it does, to say a few more. 

There may be "similar" extensions, but they are not close in my opinion to the ones integrated in maxthon.

Finally, I was always on the side of being able to integrate chrome extensions, as well as other features (flags, pass export, etc, ), but not on the condition that maxthon lost its identity, which are those little things that make it different from a chrome + extensions.

If it wasn't the case, why would I have to choose maxthon over the chrome itself, what does maxthon give me, without its features, if in the end it is a "minimo" chrome with extensions? Why should I choose maxthon then, when there are already platforms as opera with a much more active development, which also bring chrome extension, or vivaldi?

1. You're likely right, and I'm not discounting that as a benefit, but it's missing a big feature, and that is being able to edit the snapped page.
And like I mentioned above, I had forgotten the ability to save to MaxNote, that's a good thing.

2. I don't disagree that there should be integrated features, I'm all for it.  Again, I'm just stating that for big features like a snapping tool, it needs to be at least as good as the big ones.

3. For me, the big things old Maxthon/MIE2 used to give me other than easy to make extensions, was Drag & Drop, Middle Tab Bar, & controlling how Tabs Open.
So, for me, those are the biggest things that differentiate Maxthon from any other browser.  Sure, in the old days having integrate extensions was valuable, but once we got Chrome store, that became not as necessary.  However, again, I do see the necessity in certain ways and things I've already mentioned.
Btw, I've had to use 360Chrome to get my old Classic Maxthon/MyIE2 full features (though it didn't have MaxNote), which allowed me to use Chrome Extensions.

So, I'm glad Maxthon is using Chromium now, they just need to add my 3 MUST features I listed above, and I'm golden.
I'm of course happy to have other key common extensions Maxthon has always had, just wanting them to be the best, not missing key features Chrome Store ones have.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:01 AM, DONG DONG said:

IF YOU DIDN'T NEED IT OR SEE THAT GOOD, WE LOVE IT AND SEE THAT GOOD ... SO IF YOU DIDN'T LOVE IT DON'T ADD IT

I DON'T NEED TO FEEL LIKE I USING CHROME ... I NEED MX SYSTEM 

I agree, I hate Chrome...  I just want my old Maxthon back, before it became standalone, bloated, and lost good extension support.
So, I'm really happy they've went to Chromium, so I want ALL the features of old Maxthon, which 360Chrome has had as a replacement, but with the couple it didn't have, Maxthon specific I'm looking forward to getting back.

• 6 months later...

Archived