Is Maxthon alive or dead??

Dan

theres a post from bugsir saying all updates to MX5 are on hold as they are working on MX6 - no time scale or info given - so we wait and wait and i would guess wait some more

in the mean time Vivaldi works for me - its skinnable with work and has an up to date core 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

44 minutes ago, Dan said:

Perhaps Maxthon can still become this efficient...

I don't know if the current maxthon will be efficient (I doubt it), but what is clear is that with the chrome 69 kernel, it has all the vulnerabilities that exist to date (current versions are between 79 and 80)

In my case, I still use it in some websites, like other browsers, but for serious things (banks, government administrations, work, studies, etc...), I end up pulling the "big ones"

1 hour ago, BugSir006 said:

We will release the beta v5.3.8.2100 today and the Maxthon 6 beta version in the next few months.

recent months - so where is it thats past tense to my mind

i assume you mean coming months - you really have to be joking - months - MX is dead now how is a beta in months going to resurrect it

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

9 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

didn't we agree that mx5 was paralyzed in favor of the development of mx6?

Depends on how you read it.

It says temporarily, so maybe referring to the holiday break? Or could just be a translation issue, as in no active development, so no new features/major updates etc. But doesn't mean that some small bugfixes aren't/can't be worked on.

Regardless, MX5 is well past it's prime, updates or not. And MX6 is just vapourware at this stage. Should it happen at some point then users need to see if it is any improvement on what MX5 was, and make the call whether they want to keep using it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 10:08 PM, BugSir006 said:

We will release the beta v5.3.8.2100 today and the Maxthon 6 beta version in the next few months.

So does the beta version have an updated Chromium kernel? I am currently running v5.2.6.1000, and when I use the about-> check for updates function in the browser it tells me "your browser is up to date" even though there are numerous more recent builds available. But whether I try to download the most recent official release or the beta release, the download consistently fails with just a few KB remaining. I've even tried downloading the file with Chrome, but it also fails... How can I get an installation file if Maxthon itself can't download and refuses to update?

downfail.JPG

18 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

So does the beta version have an updated Chromium kernel?

No, Maxthon last beta uses Chrome 69.

18 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

I've even tried downloading the file with Chrome, but it also fails... How can I get an installation file if Maxthon itself can't download and refuses to update?

No problem with downloads from the page of this same forum.

https://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/release-notes5/

Try to see if it is the antivirus or similar that is preventing the download from being closed.

On 3/7/2020 at 2:19 AM, vedicaudio said:

So does the beta version have an updated Chromium kernel? I am currently running v5.2.6.1000, and when I use the about-> check for updates function in the browser it tells me "your browser is up to date" even though there are numerous more recent builds available. But whether I try to download the most recent official release or the beta release, the download consistently fails with just a few KB remaining. I've even tried downloading the file with Chrome, but it also fails... How can I get an installation file if Maxthon itself can't download and refuses to update?

Yes, new kernel in v5.3.8.xxxx. Could you let me know your country for troubleshooting the download issue?

12 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

Please, let's not confuse the terms:
Yes, it's a new kernel (with respect to the previous 5.2x branch, but it's NOT an updated kernel, let's not confuse the terms, which although they seem subtle, are very different

Hi there, v5.2.6.xxxx is Chrome 61, and v5.3.8.xxxx is Chrome 69. So I said new kernel.

Thanks for trying to provide a clear answer to my question. I didn't understand the real differences between the two terms. What I really wanted to know was:

Assuming that the statement

"with the chrome 69 kernel, [the current official version] has all the vulnerabilities that exist to date (current versions are between 79 and 80)"

is true, does that statement also apply to the most recent beta version.

In other words, can I avoid running a browser with known vulnerabilities by installing the beta version (which I normally would not do)?

Archived