Maxthon 5.2.4.3000 and Flash Player problem

Installing Flash Player in Maxthon was always a major pain in the ass, but I kinda managed to get it working for the last year or so by following the manual instructions HERE.

Unfortunately, I just noticed that  \Core\Blink\plugins folder no longer exists in Maxthon 5.2.4.3000. Folder \Core\plugins does exist but there is no sign of pepflashplayer.dll inside like in the previous versions.

So I tried to update Flash Player to tne newest version today and while dowloading the executables from Adobe, I also noticed a popup bar at the top of the screen notifying me that a new version of Adobe Flash was available. That must be something new that Maxthon added, so I clicked Yes/Update. So, in the end, I ran the update from Adobe website AND the update from the Maxthon pop-up bar.

I then restarted Maxthon 5.2.4.3000 and went to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/ and just saw an empty "Version information" rectangle where the currently installed version should be. I then tried to follow the previously mentioned manual installation instructions and rename-copied the pepflashplayer.dll file from c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\ to \Core\plugins and restarted Maxthon. The result was the same. The current version was not displayed in the rectangle. I right-clicked on the "Update Now" button below that rectangle and the last option in the pop-up menu did hint at the newest Flash version being installed. I just don't know why it wasn't displayed in the "Version information" rectangle on the website http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/ . Does Maxthon have problems rendering that site?

flash.png

41 minutes ago, Perplexer said:

I then restarted Maxthon 5.2.4.3000 and went to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/ and just saw an empty "Version information" rectangle where the currently installed version should be.

I also have an empty window and can not see the version. But by clicking this link the version is displayed.

3 hours ago, Magdalene said:

Where?

Now that I think about it, it's not really an update option; it's an install option if it's not installed. I'd assume it installs the most recent version, but haven't tested.

So the MX Flash Updater still is useful, unless you feel like doing it the manual way.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:51 PM, 7twenty said:

Now that I think about it, it's not really an update option; it's an install option if it's not installed. I'd assume it installs the most recent version, but haven't tested.

So the MX Flash Updater still is useful, unless you feel like doing it the manual way.

Is the Maxthon Flash updater a part of the portable versions?  I've not seen it at all even with no plugins folder nor pepflashplayer.dll present in the core folder.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, SnowLeopard said:

Is the Maxthon Flash updater a part of the portable versions? 

It's not a "part" of any  version; one has to download it from this link  MX Flash Updater and then run it as administrator with Maxthon closed. I have used this updater for years and it works for both installed and portable versions.

15 hours ago, rick.lane said:

It's not a "part" of any  version; one has to download it from this link  MX Flash Updater and then run it as administrator with Maxthon closed. I have used this updater for years and it works for both installed and portable versions.

Thanks for clarifying.  I have known about the Flash Updater for a long time, but have normally done updating manually.  However, I think the missing plugin is MX's PDF plugin.  I was clicking a link to what happens to be a PDF page in Ultra mode and the error "Plugin disabled" appearedinstead. IswitchedtoIEmodeand thePDFdisplays normally.  I don't know why, but it works.

<<SL>>

Archived