permission

I have used mx for several years with no problems.  I have upgraded into mx 5.  For several of the updates within 5 I had no problems. But a few months ago, every time I pressed the icon to bring up my mx browser I get a notice that says the app wants to make changes to your system is it ok to do so.  I have to press the "yes" button to  continue.  Today (8/29/18) I noticed it is coming from the user account control.  I am using Windows 10 Pro. It has not been updated since Oct 2015 (because windows apparently does not have enough room to do it). So my question is: how do I go into my user account (where ever that is) and set it so it knows it's ok to PERMANENTLY allow Maxthon to make changes, so I do not have to keep seeing this box and continually say "yes".  Maxthon  is my default browser.  It has been my default browser for several years. I am currently using mx 5.2.4.2000. Ever since this problem started, I thought it was a Maxthon problem, but now I see I was wrong it is a user account problem.  Can anybody give me step by step the way to get to my user account and what to do to make it know maxthon has the automatic permission to make changes?

15 hours ago, nevergetany said:

the way to get to my user account and what to do to make it know maxthon has the automatic permission to make changes?

You can't.

You can drop the level that UAC warns you but that puts you potentially at risk.

Where do you have Maxthon installed? Have you changed where it was installed? If it's in the Program files folder then i believe it always requests that due to it being a system folder. Try installing to another folder/drive and see if the same still happens.

Although i think MX has some issues a while back where it was constantly asking permission even though it shouldn't hav.e

It is in the same folder where mx put it a few years ago, and the permission request started early this year (or maybe mid last year); it's a minor nusance to have to say yes every time I bring up my default browser. And you are correct, I would not lower my security level to zero.

On 8/30/2018 at 6:16 AM, 7twenty said:

You can't.

You can drop the level that UAC warns you but that puts you potentially at risk.

Where do you have Maxthon installed? Have you changed where it was installed? If it's in the Program files folder then i believe it always requests that due to it being a system folder. Try installing to another folder/drive and see if the same still happens.

Although i think MX has some issues a while back where it was constantly asking permission even though it shouldn't hav.e

I found where it is filed:  It is in a Folder called Program Files(x86)> In that folder is a Folder called Maxthon5> In that folder is a Bin folder> inside that folder are several things including ".exe" files one of which is Maxthon.  There is one called Maxthon doctor, but I don't know what that one does, so not sure I should run it or not).

I found this while searching but I'm not sure it would work either:  

CompatReplied on July 27, 2018

I am a bit surprised to see all the answers stating "no, impossible". Just in case people still end up here after a search:

It has been possible for quite some time. There are multiple ways to do it, some involving only the Windows Task Scheduler and some involving external tools. Personally, I am using the Microsoft Compatibility Administrator to do what you were asking. You have to install it first, but it is at least an official MS program.

Refer e.g. to http://woshub.com/how-to-disable-uac-for-specific-applications/ in order to get a detailed description of how to enable a specific program to prevent the annoying UAC warnings.

The site referred to is here:  http://woshub.com/how-to-disable-uac-for-specific-applications/

When you go to the site you can d/l the programs, and it says they are no longer supported, BUT tells you what to do to get the most recent version.

I have d/l the unsupported one as well as the newest version, but have not installed them, or used them as I'm not sure what is going to happen.

Also here is a related article of how to use it see what you think about it:  http://woshub.com/how-to-disable-uac-for-specific-applications/

On 8/31/2018 at 3:04 PM, nevergetany said:

It is in the same folder where mx put it a few years ago,

Turns out this isn't an issue.

I tested with installing to that folder on a standard user account and i get no such issue.

A couple of things to check:

Try unchecking the Set Maxthon as default browser, and check that Maxthon is default browser options. Close and restart Maxthon. See if you still get the same UAC prompt.

Right-click the MX5 icon (either on the taskbar/desktop/start menu) and open the properties dialog.
Go to the compatibility tab and ensure there is nothing checked. If there is, uncheck them, restart and check.

Archived