5.2.1.5000 Annoying Top

Chim

Before this, I had been using 5.1.7.2000.  This morning I very briefly used 5.2.1.4000 before quickly finding out at Major Geeks that 5.2.1.5000 was now available.  So, I don't know if any of the other versions after 5.1.7.2000 also exhibit this problem.

Anyway, as shown on the attached image, there is an annoying ad sort of thing there at the top of the GUI.  It comes up EVERY TIME I bring up MX5.  Sure, it can be X-ed out.  That would be tolerable IF it happened only 1 initial time.  But, EVERY TIME?  NO!  That thing has got to go.  And it shouldn't have to be one of those under the hood fixes that we the users have to perform via AdBlock Plus.  It should just not be there.

It was bad enough that before this, the rendering of the MX5 GUI takes noticeably much longer to load than the Maxthon 4 GUI.  Adding that annoying ad thing just adds to that already long load.

Is there a setting that can make it stay GONE?

MX5 Problematic Top.jpg

Or ... I wonder if it couldn't have something to do with that the UserData folder that I use to install (export) my bookmarks and stuff onto new versions ... was created in the pre-5.2.1.xxxx period.  Maybe there's some incompatibility there.

1 hour ago, Chim said:

Maybe there's some incompatibility there.

Nope. Been doing the import userdata since forever and rarely, if ever, have any issues.

Clicking the X in the top right corner of the notification should get rid of it for good. You can try deleting the cookies for the page in case that's causing the problem.

You can add a rule to ABP to permanently get rid of it. Although I can't find the thread that it came from, seems to have disappeared?!

In the global rules section of ABP add:

pc-newtab.maxthon.com##ul#top.clearfix

I'm not 100% on that, didn't test, but it's in my list from when i tested originally when i posted in that thread that can't be found.

6 hours ago, Chim said:

Before this, I had been using 5.1.7.2000.  This morning I very briefly used 5.2.1.4000 before quickly finding out at Major Geeks that 5.2.1.5000 was now available.  So, I don't know if any of the other versions after 5.1.7.2000 also exhibit this problem.

Anyway, as shown on the attached image, there is an annoying ad sort of thing there at the top of the GUI.  It comes up EVERY TIME I bring up MX5.  Sure, it can be X-ed out.  That would be tolerable IF it happened only 1 initial time.  But, EVERY TIME?  NO!  That thing has got to go.  And it shouldn't have to be one of those under the hood fixes that we the users have to perform via AdBlock Plus.  It should just not be there.

It was bad enough that before this, the rendering of the MX5 GUI takes noticeably much longer to load than the Maxthon 4 GUI.  Adding that annoying ad thing just adds to that already long load.

Is there a setting that can make it stay GONE?

MX5 Problematic Top.jpg

You did a clean install or ran a claen portable version.  CLICK THE CLOSE "X" at the top right and it's gone until you do another clean insstall or run.   For me it's permanently gone since I avoid clean runs of portable versions.  But when I may have to do a clean run it's trivial to send it packin'.

<<SL>>

8 hours ago, Chim said:

So you don't see it even an initial time?

No, I saw it a very long time ago in a previous version, but just clicked on the X and it went away and never came back.  This version 5.2.1.5000 was installed over a clean install of 5.2.1.4000.  I am on Windows 10 Insider Build 17134.1.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Sorry about the long time to reply.  Several things got in the way yesterday.

@7twenty  That "pc-newtab.maxthon.com##ul#top.clearfix" added to ABP unfortunately did not do the trick.  The notification resumed relentlessly.

@SnowLeopard  I did about as thorough a clean install as it can get.  I first performed a Clear Data function from within the previous MX5 version.  (Did not include the Delete Cookies and Delete other website-related data categories.)  I then performed routine thorough cleanings with CCleaner, Glary Utilities & Wise Care 365.  I then out of routine maintenance also tacked on a run of Defrag just because it seriously needed it by now.  I then installed the Portable version of 5.2.1.5000.

As for it being trivial to want to send it packin'?  As I've mentioned previously on more than one occasion, IMO ... MX5 already takes a noticeably unusually long time to bring up the GUI vs. Maxthon 4.  Throw in this notification that refuses to stay gone after the initial appearance --- and it just adds even more time to the already long loading time of the GUI.  This cannot possibly be making MX5 look good in the Browser Wars in the category of which browser comes up the quickest.

Anyway, as of yesterday I went back down to 5.1.7.2000.  Several factors collectively gave me a bad vibe about this version.  Aside of the issue mentioned in this thread ... 5.2.1.5000 appeared to me to be noticeably slower than the speedy 5.2.1.4000, although I only tried that one out very briefly before seeing that 5.2.1.5000 was available.  Then at some point I had to close down 5.2.1.5000 after I couldn't get it out of the "Cannot connect to the website" condition shown in the attached image.  Then yesterday morning my computer's bootup sequence got stuck midway.  I can't prove that was 5.2.1.5000's fault, but the bad things just seemed to be piling up.

So, I decided to just wait for the next version and hope that one does not have that "The Thing That Would Not Die" version of that annoying notification and that it works much better in general.

MX5 Error.jpg

4 hours ago, Temüdschin said:

Its also not possible to add the link from google search result to QA.

Without knowing the exact URL you used, i can't say for sure, but it works fine on my install.

6 hours ago, Chim said:

Then yesterday morning my computer's bootup sequence got stuck midway.

Highly doubtful, especially if you're using a portable version as you said.

6 hours ago, Chim said:

unfortunately did not do the trick.

Yeah, i did say i wasn't sure if that was the right one.

Had some time to test and it should be: pc-newtab.maxthon.com##div#navigation

Make sure you follow the instructions here: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/23107-how-to-modify-quick-access-guide-to-remove-search-bar/#comment-122370 to remove the exception rules as well, otherwise it just wont work.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:19 AM, 7twenty said:

Nope. Been doing the import userdata since forever and rarely, if ever, have any issues.

Clicking the X in the top right corner of the notification should get rid of it for good. You can try deleting the cookies for the page in case that's causing the problem.

You can add a rule to ABP to permanently get rid of it. Although I can't find the thread that it came from, seems to have disappeared?!

In the global rules section of ABP add:

pc-newtab.maxthon.com##ul#top.clearfix

I'm not 100% on that, didn't test, but it's in my list from when i tested originally when i posted in that thread that can't be found.

ABP rules isn't working. I'm just asking, is it TOO HARD to add this? Really?

234234v.jpg

1 hour ago, Magdalene said:

It takes about 10 seconds to do.

More like 3sec...

But if for whatever reason the clicking X option doesn't work for users, then this is the best option.

Was also thinking, for those that complain that the banner keeps coming back, could it be that they clear cookies after every session? That would cause the setting to be lost and why it keeps coming back.

9 hours ago, echoplex said:

ABP rules isn't working. I'm just asking, is it TOO HARD to add this? Really?

If you read 4 posts further you'd see that it was noted that the rule I mentioned was wrong. The correct one is in post #11.

As far as being "too hard to add this" - I'm not sure what you're asking? You want Maxthon to add this rule so they block their own banner ad? not gonna happen! 

15 hours ago, Magdalene said:

Life's a bitch sometimes. It takes about 10 seconds to do.

It's not a matter of time, I'm sorry but for me, that kind of argument that costs less than 10 sec, "back" to change the config is not valid.

As a user that I know what to play, it might be valid for me, but ordinary people do not want to do it, they do not want to or should not be aware that in every actuation they have to constantly tweak the configuration.

We can not defend with such arguments, that a product (even if it is free), is not doing things right, if not, it would be worth defending then anything, total, are 10 sec.

14 hours ago, 7twenty said:

More like 3sec...

But if for whatever reason the clicking X option doesn't work for users, then this is the best option.

Was also thinking, for those that complain that the banner keeps coming back, could it be that they clear cookies after every session? That would cause the setting to be lost and why it keeps coming back.

If you read 4 posts further you'd see that it was noted that the rule I mentioned was wrong. The correct one is in post #11.

As far as being "too hard to add this" - I'm not sure what you're asking? You want Maxthon to add this rule so they block their own banner ad? not gonna happen! 

What is this banners purpose? It tells things we already know. Not for a single time, It occurs every time. That makes this banner very and really unnecessary.

I'm asking for "Do not show this again" option as I drew there.  "No.1MaxthonFan" thought it was a real option, so I drew good enough.

Edit: Also, none of ABP rules are workin. If it worked, every rules will delete after a update. Not practical. This is a browser, not a spaceship. You should pay attantion for functional using methods. When you opened the browser, a half-page useless banner doesn't help you have easy access links for your new tab page. That banner kills new tab page. There is no other explanation.

16 minutes ago, echoplex said:

I'm asking for "Do not show this again" option as I drew there.

That's exactly what the X does.

Tested this on a new portable version, no ABP rules added. Clicked the X, restarted the browser about 10 times going to QA each time and opened QA countless times beyond that - it was never, ever shown beyond the first instance where it was dismissed.

If users are having issues with it coming back, it's either they're deleting site data and/or cookies, or there is some fault not allowing the data to be saved that shows that the X has been pressed.

6 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Tested this on a new portable version, no ABP rules added. Clicked the X, restarted the browser about 10 times going to QA each time and opened QA countless times beyond that - it was never, ever shown beyond the first instance where it was dismissed.

If users are having issues with it coming back, it's either they're deleting site data and/or cookies, or there is some fault not allowing the data to be saved that shows that the X has been pressed.

Problem is deleting the "other web site data" then. I think the problem is solved. If doesn't, I'll be here. :D Thank you for helping.

5 hours ago, 7twenty said:

I no longer have 5.2.1.5000 installed.  But, when I did ... in MY case, I wasn't deleting site data and / or cookies or anything.  I would shut MX5 down and simply bring it back up 3 seconds later and there the banner would be EVERY TIME. 

I already saw at Major Geeks that a 5.2.1.6000 is now available, but from checking out the changelog, this issue doesn't appear to have been addressed.  So, I'll be passing on that version.

27 minutes ago, Chim said:

I no longer have 5.2.1.5000 installed.  But, when I did ... in MY case, I wasn't deleting site data and / or cookies or anything.  I would shut MX5 down and simply bring it back up 3 seconds later and there the banner would be EVERY TIME. 

I already saw at Major Geeks that a 5.2.1.6000 is now available, but from checking out the changelog, this issue doesn't appear to have been addressed.  So, I'll be passing on that version.

Well I can say that I have 5.2.1.2000-rc,-2000,-3000,-4000,-5000,, & -6000 prrtable version folders, all with the 2000-rc UserData folder copied in and not one of them shows the banner.  One exception is that along this way at one version, I did try renaming the 2000-rc folder and letting the version create a new UserData.  When I ran that nrwly formed version I did see the banner.  However I recall it being a little different from the original version; it had a "Never show again" checkbox next to the "X" which I did use.

I am quite happy without ever seeing this banner ... no fuss, no muss, no stoerm-und-drang.

<<SL>>

Archived