Default Browser Nag Screen, Really? #2

stop sending me popups - or if you do sort it out

i have had 3 popups this morning telling me maxthon is not my default browser - as a matter of fact it is - but that apart if i click on the popup to let it set maxthon as default i get an error message about mxup.dll and windows10 sets edge as my default browser

so get it sorted or stop sending whatever it is that generates the popup - dont suppose you will do anything - like most things user input will simply be ignored

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Confirmed here. When mx5 asks about becoming default then win10 resets it to edge. This feature not only doesn't work, it also makes things worse. Don't you people test versions before pushing it into the forum? This thing goes for several months, maybe even since win10 came out.

35 minutes ago, CorbanWolf said:

Confirmed here. When mx5 asks about becoming default then win10 resets it to edge. This feature not only doesn't work, it also makes things worse. Don't you people test versions before pushing it into the forum? This thing goes for several months, maybe even since win10 came out.

they talk about a test team - its like a secret society as nothing is reported - they do release versions to testers here but thats a waste of everyones time as reported issues are ignored and the test version is released as is a few days later

the whole backend for such things is broken - no one seems to have control or care

10 minutes ago, Kilmatar said:

Yes. This already a routine work after every MX update:

1. Install MX

2. Go to Settings and manually set default browser from Edge to MX because MX can't correctly setup themself

and then wait for the popup i describe above - click it and 10 resets the default to edge so your fix has to be applied again 

No issues here with 5.2.0.2000 portable.

Set to default in settings, option is greyed out in the menu.

All links open with MX without issue. No popups asking for reset anything. No need to manually set or restore any settings.

Last time I had that issue was maybe a year ago? maybe 2 W10 updates ago?

Might be an installer version issue only?

i am on portable which is why i get the error for mxup.dll i guess as its not in the portable install - am running 5.2.1.100 which is the pulled beta so maybe its an issue with that release although i have seen it on other betas

after the 3 popups this morning have not seen it again

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

am running 5.2.1.100 which is the pulled beta

Maybe try on a "standard" release, not one that was pulled.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

i am on portable which is why i get the error for mxup.dll i guess as its not in the portable install -

odd, because mxup.* has never been in any portable release that i'm aware of.

either you, or whoever put together that pulled version has screwed something up.

regardless, complaining about an issue with a version that sort of doesn't really exist, i think is sort of useless.

As far as the others with the issue, there's not much info to go on...

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

regardless, complaining about an issue with a version that sort of doesn't really exist, i think is sort of useless.

ok - to put this in perspective - this is not new to this version - what decides to push the popup i have no idea but it happens every so often with the same result

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

ok - to put this in perspective - this is not new to this version - what decides to push the popup i have no idea but it happens every so often with the same result

I had to reset my default browser settings in windows a couple of days ago. For some reason Edge was set as default although I did nothing, I suspect a windows update to be the culprit.

sigmax2.png

4 hours ago, -ody- said:

I had to reset my default browser settings in windows a couple of days ago. For some reason Edge was set as default although I did nothing, I suspect a windows update to be the culprit.

Yes, every time there is a Windows update, Edge gets re-set as the default browser.  There are a number of submissions to Microsoft about this but nothing has happened yet.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

try clicking it - on my windows 10 system it resets the default back to edge

not only is it a pain in the arse it does not work

how about a comment @BugSir006 - sort something for a change

I got a different warning today... maxthon launches, I can see briefly the quick access, then I see a splash screen asking if I want to authorize maxthon to run on this computer ; no matter if I say "yes" or if I close the splash screen : QA loads after I hit a button... 

no way to make a screen capture, nothing else works while this window shows.

sigmax2.png

5 hours ago, -ody- said:

I got a different warning today... maxthon launches, I can see briefly the quick access, then I see a splash screen asking if I want to authorize maxthon to run on this computer ; no matter if I say "yes" or if I close the splash screen : QA loads after I hit a button... 

no way to make a screen capture, nothing else works while this window shows.

Hmmm ... that's not good. I thought this pop-up nonsense would stop when I upgraded to 5.2.1.1000.

I think I'm going to upgrade to Vivaldi.

there has to be a reason for this rubbish - plus a similar reason i got to a new site that was all in chinese

money i would guess - come on @BugSir006 make a comment - its about time

On 4/2/2018 at 3:59 PM, 7twenty said:

No issues here with 5.2.0.2000 portable.

Set to default in settings, option is greyed out in the menu.

All links open with MX without issue. No popups asking for reset anything. No need to manually set or restore any settings.

Last time I had that issue was maybe a year ago? maybe 2 W10 updates ago?

Might be an installer version issue only?

Also here, since I left the installable versions, many of the problems mentioned here have disappeared. Win 10 x64.

This topic is getting weird. I started the thread 'Default Browser Nag Screen, Really?', then it got merged, now someone else is the author. I haven't copyrighted the thread title or anything, but I am interested in whether this pop-up:

5ac39cb8a47fd_maxthonballs-Copy.jpg.943cacab39c7b175b21b6e9c23dbb1e6.jpg

... shown over the systems tray of my Win 7 desktop has been stopped. I haven't seen it since. Was it a feature of the install? Did it come directly from Planet Maxthon? Inquiring minds want to know lol. :Upside-Down_Face_Emoji_Icon_42x42:

22 minutes ago, DaveMax said:

then it got merged, now someone else is the author

It was merged into your original thread because it had a better title. But because the other thread was started first your post is no longer the opening one.

24 minutes ago, DaveMax said:

Was it a feature of the install? Did it come directly from Planet Maxthon?

it came from the mxup.exe program that is included with Maxthon to keep it up to date. Seems it's now also used for reminding users that Maxthon isn't the default browser. It shouldn't show if MX is the default browser. If it does show again then it's more than likely because windows has decided to change the default browser and mxup.exe has detected that.

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

It was merged into your original thread because it had a better title. But because the other thread was started first your post is no longer the opening one.

it came from the mxup.exe program that is included with Maxthon to keep it up to date. Seems it's now also used for reminding users that Maxthon isn't the default browser. It shouldn't show if MX is the default browser. If it does show again then it's more than likely because windows has decided to change the default browser and mxup.exe has detected that.

OK thanks. So, unless Mx is my default I'm likely to be nagged again? 

3 hours ago, 7twenty said:

not strictly true i think - i only run portable versions of maxthon - that does not include the mxup.dll but i get the popup on regular occasions - i believe i have had it when maxthon thinks it is the default browser - the set default browser switch in main menu is grayed out but windows settings has edge as the default brower

that has not been due to a windows update as suggested and not from anything i have done

further if you have maxthon set as default and run a different build [also a portable install] that resets the default browser to edge - that has to be maxthon doing i believe

Archived