Default Browser Nag Screen, Really? #2

6 hours ago, Tony said:

not strictly true i think - i only run portable versions of maxthon - that does not include the mxup.dll but i get the popup on regular occasions - i believe i have had it when maxthon thinks it is the default browser

When you see the popup, there is an icon on the address bar which is the mxup.exe icon.
Task manager shows that mxup.exe is the only MX related process running at that time.
If you force close or click the set default button then the mxup.exe process closes.

My main system has NEVER ever had an install version of Maxthon installed, and I have NEVER ever had a popup show.

You can think what you like, but the data shows otherwise.

The problem with install versions of anything, is that they can put files anywhere on your drive. In MX's case it also puts a lot in %appdata%, including a copy of mxup.exe. 
So while you might have started using MX portable, i'm betting that you still have remnants of your older installer versions left, possibly including an update service and entries for mxup.exe.

What I don't like is the popup outside of the browser. If they want to do like they used to as a banner or dialog when you start the browser that's fine. But as it is now, especially with the "your default browser is at risk" wording, it's very underhanded.

With all that said, Maxthon always seemed to have had issues with this to different degrees. I don't know why, seeing as other browsers don't. Either way they need to get their shit together.

6 hours ago, Tony said:

the set default browser switch in main menu is grayed out but windows settings has edge as the default brower

Same here. Just noticed that .html files weren't set to maxthon on mine. That could be why Edge was still showing as default. Fixing that shows MX5 as default in settings. Apart from that MX is working as well as it has always been.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:47 PM, DaveMax said:

This topic is getting weird. I started the thread 'Default Browser Nag Screen, Really?', then it got merged, now someone else is the author. I haven't copyrighted the thread title or anything,

I'm terrified! How did it happen? My topic about the problems with the default search in Maxthon somehow got into this topic completely unrelated to mine! What's happening?

3 hours ago, Sergey_K said:

I'm terrified! How did it happen? My topic about the problems with the default search in Maxthon somehow got into this topic completely unrelated to mine! What's happening?

you're right it's a bit messy... not sure what happened, I just looked at this thread yesterday and your post was not there 

but there's too much work to split this thread now , unless some other mod has time enough to do it it will stay like it is now...

sigmax2.png

no input from anyone at Maxthon in this thread - well thats a surprise - what they have no answer for they ignore and hope it goes away - it does i guess users dump the browser

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Jeez guys, all this pop-up is about is informing you that Maxthon is not the default browser and if you want it to be, then please set it as such. If not, click the X and it goes away. DaveMax, maybe Vivaldi doesn't check to see if it is the default browser and therefore doesn't notify you when it is not. If you are all on Windows10, it likes to hijack the default browser setting and sets it as Edge Browser. I have seen that Maxthon's menu option to set default browser now takes me to Windows default program app where you can change it from Edge to MX5. I have had to do it quite often lately as there have been several new releases in the past few weeks and simply checking "set as default" during installation doesn't always convince Windows to do that. I personally appreciate Maxthon informing me that Maxthon is not currently my default browser so that I can fix it right away. Certainly this isn't close to being a deal breaker in my mind nor is a response from the Maxthon team all that necessary as it isn't really that big of a deal.

13 minutes ago, rick.lane said:

Jeez guys, all this pop-up is about is informing you that Maxthon is not the default browser and if you want it to be, then please set it as such. If not, click the X and it goes away. DaveMax, maybe Vivaldi doesn't check to see if it is the default browser and therefore doesn't notify you when it is not. If you are all on Windows10, it likes to hijack the default browser setting and sets it as Edge Browser. I have seen that Maxthon's menu option to set default browser now takes me to Windows default program app where you can change it from Edge to MX5. I have had to do it quite often lately as there have been several new releases in the past few weeks and simply checking "set as default" during installation doesn't always convince Windows to do that. I personally appreciate Maxthon informing me that Maxthon is not currently my default browser so that I can fix it right away. Certainly this isn't close to being a deal breaker in my mind nor is a response from the Maxthon team all that necessary as it isn't really that big of a deal.

it might be worth reading the thread Rick theres more to it than what you seem to reply to

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

1 hour ago, Tony said:

it might be worth reading the thread Rick theres more to it than what you seem to reply to

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I read the whole thread for days. I am replying to DaveMax, who said "So long" because of this simple pop-up. And the rest of the thread is similar whining in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, rick.lane said:

I read the whole thread for days. I am replying to DaveMax, who said "So long" because of this simple pop-up. And the rest of the thread is similar whining in my opinion. 

Well, to be perfectly honest rick.lane, I didn’t uninstall Maxthon simply because of this egregiously pointless, irrelevant, unnecessary and irritating pop-up, although it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back. When I first saw it I almost thought it was a malware alert. Which is kind of ironic when you think about it. Apparently, the pop-up doesn't even function properly when it is clicked on anyway. How useless is a nag screen that doesn't actually work? lol

As I’m perfectly aware that Maxthon isn’t my default browser, I don’t really see the necessity of a pop-up informing of this fact. What is its purpose or raison d'être? Because it seems to have none, other than nagging me into using Maxthon as my default browser. Surely the decision I make for my own default browser on my own personal computer is mine to make? Which makes me ponder on why it’s so important for Maxthon to be the default browser on my system.

At one point in time, several years ago, Maxthon was my favourite browser, and my default. It was light, fast, relatively secure and had a plethora of inbuilt functionality negating the need for adding extensions. I used Maxthon at home, and even at work as a portable. It was highly customisable and was everything I wanted or could possibly need as a browser. 

Over the past couple of years Maxthon has become less reliable and buggy with each release. Its flash plug-in, once guaranteed to play anything, has ceased being viable for me and is so out of date it’s basically now a security hazard. Even when I reported here that Maxthon’s flash wasn’t running on the sites I normally streamed, the only response were fanboys informing me that it must be my fault because it worked perfectly for them. And you just can’t argue with that. 

Three years ago when Jon von Tetzchner released his own Chromium based browser ‘Vivaldi’ I downloaded it onto my laptop running Ubuntu. Unlike Maxthon, it ran perfectly on Linux. Usually when I report any bugs with Vivaldi they appear to take notice on their forums and reply to me promptly, helpfully and with courtesy. Maxthon has become increasingly less relevant for me and Vivaldi is now my default browser on Windows. Maxthon was my default until only a short while ago, but repeated buggy updates rendered it more or less unusable for me. I noticed I was using Vivaldi increasingly more and its Chrome extensions work perfectly. I only have three, but one of them, uBlock Origin, is an adblocker that actually works. ABP for Maxthon is sadly lacking in many respects.

So, this lament may be predominantly whinging, whining, grumbling, grouching, carping, beefing and bemoaning. It has taken me many years to finally do it, and I say goodbye to Maxthon with a heavy heart, but there are just better alternatives now. And alternatives that show me a modicum of respect without the need to nag me.

mxno1bollocksup.jpg

My new default browser on Windows.

6 hours ago, DaveMax said:

Well, to be perfectly honest rick.lane, I didn’t uninstall Maxthon simply because of this egregiously pointless, irrelevant, unnecessary and irritating pop-up, although it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back. When I first saw it I almost thought it was a malware alert. Which is kind of ironic when you think about it. Apparently, the pop-up doesn't even function properly when it is clicked on anyway. How useless is a nag screen that doesn't actually work? lol

As I’m perfectly aware that Maxthon isn’t my default browser, I don’t really see the necessity of a pop-up informing of this fact. What is its purpose or raison d'être? Because it seems to have none, other than nagging me into using Maxthon as my default browser. Surely the decision I make for my own default browser on my own personal computer is mine to make? Which makes me ponder on why it’s so important for Maxthon to be the default browser on my system.

At one point in time, several years ago, Maxthon was my favourite browser, and my default. It was light, fast, relatively secure and had a plethora of inbuilt functionality negating the need for adding extensions. I used Maxthon at home, and even at work as a portable. It was highly customisable and was everything I wanted or could possibly need as a browser. 

Over the past couple of years Maxthon has become less reliable and buggy with each release. Its flash plug-in, once guaranteed to play anything, has ceased being viable for me and is so out of date it’s basically now a security hazard. Even when I reported here that Maxthon’s flash wasn’t running on the sites I normally streamed, the only response were fanboys informing me that it must be my fault because it worked perfectly for them. And you just can’t argue with that. 

Three years ago when Jon von Tetzchner released his own Chromium based browser ‘Vivaldi’ I downloaded it onto my laptop running Ubuntu. Unlike Maxthon, it ran perfectly on Linux. Usually when I report any bugs with Vivaldi they appear to take notice on their forums and reply to me promptly, helpfully and with courtesy. Maxthon has become increasingly less relevant for me and Vivaldi is now my default browser on Windows. Maxthon was my default until only a short while ago, but repeated buggy updates rendered it more or less unusable for me. I noticed I was using Vivaldi increasingly more and its Chrome extensions work perfectly. I only have three, but one of them, uBlock Origin, is an adblocker that actually works. ABP for Maxthon is sadly lacking in many respects.

So, this lament may be predominantly whinging, whining, grumbling, grouching, carping, beefing and bemoaning. It has taken me many years to finally do it, and I say goodbye to Maxthon with a heavy heart, but there are just better alternatives now. And alternatives that show me a modicum of respect without the need to nag me.

mxno1bollocksup.jpg

My new default browser on Windows.

is there an extension that works the same as the snapshot/screencapture feature in maxthon? (can use shortcut key and works in any window?)

Just now, DaveMax said:

It's built into Vivaldi.

mx1.jpg

You can't screenshot outside of the browser like you can with maxthon snapshot. I use ctrl+f1 (in any other window/program as long as maxthon is open) and then the screenshot tool pops up and i can select area to capture. 

Just now, Kaiyo said:

You can't screenshot outside of the browser like you can with maxthon snapshot. I use ctrl+f1 (in any other window/program as long as maxthon is open) and then the screenshot tool pops up and i can select area to capture. 

Best to stick to Maxthon then. Good luck.

6 hours ago, DaveMax said:

Best to stick to Maxthon then. Good luck.

UCBrowser has the same tool as maxthon, (looks like a clone in many ways)

UC.png

6 hours ago, Kaiyo said:

maxthon snapshot tool is pretty handy as you can choose to copy, or save the file with 1 command (ctrl+f1), on top of being able to draw over it. 

In part, this is what holds me in maxthon to this day

Well, unless Maxthon improves drastically, I doubt I'll be using it much again. The snapshot tool is useful though, so I've decided to run the portable version from a directory. Any sign of the stupid pop-up though and it gets wasted (again). 

mxport.jpg

Seems to be running well. Vivaldi is still my default though and I can't see me changing that in the foreseeable future. If Maxthon wants to improve its user base it should look to browsers like Vivaldi, and their non-nagging, non-spying, secure, reliable and trustworthy ethos and policies.

MaxthonSnap20180424084424.png

Archived