Annoying Float Down Videos

Chim

I don't recall experiencing this problem with Maxthon 4.  I have only encountered it with MX5.  In thinking about it, I believe I really only encounter it when browsing USA Today News.  Let's say for example on this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/02/26/what-supreme-court-ruling-means-daca-and-almost-700-000-undocumented-immigrants/372704002/  When I scroll down, the video that is at the beginning of the article just breaks off and up and floats on down to the bottom right of the screen.  I can close it with the X, but that is useless.  Upon scrolling back up and back down, the video float down action just repeats itself.  I do not care for that.

Is there some setting that is supposed to prevent this from happening?  I pondered the possibility that it is a USA Today News site issue.  But, like I said ... it didn't used to happen with Maxthon 4.

Is there a setting that is supposed to prevent that from happening?

At least in your case you have a wide screen monitor and the video is out of the way of the page.  In my case, I have a 1280 x 1024px monitor.  The video winds up intruding in on / obstructing between ¼ and a third of the page there on the bottom right.  Definitely neither good nor welcome in my case.

I guess it's then something that comes with more recent versions of the Blink engine, right?  Cuz as I mentioned, I didn't used to experience this with Maxthon 4.  Either way, it'd be great if Maxthon could incorporate a setting to be able to disable this in case users like me want to.

Annoying Float Down Video.jpg

You can block all the javascript on the page by adding *.js to ABP which will stop that from happening. But will also stop the video's from loading/playing as well though.

Note that it may affect other parts of the site as well, just not sure what at this stage. Seems to work ok from a quick check though.

As far as the videos' loading being stopped as well?  Given that I have Dial Up Internet, I'm not an impromptu video downloader kinda guy.  When I download a video, it's pretty much going to be because I searched for it on YouTube or someone sent me a specific link to a video.  I'll then download that video with my 4K Video Downloader app.  So videos not loading in web pages would not be an issue for me.  However, I'm leery as to what else it would affect.

Either way, MX5 should probably incorporate a setting like what Opera has for JavaScript.  The images I attached are from an ancient Opera 36.x version, the last version that still works with Windows XP.  But, I'm assuming the latest versions still have an option like that.  That way I would be able to try specifying to block javascript specifically on the USA Today News web site.

My TVGuide.com listings also have an annoying video download at the bottom right as well.  But, that one doesn't break off and relocates itself from some other part of the site.  This one always just starts loading down there from the get go.  On the plus side, this one at least has a button to close it and it disappears downward.  The thing is, sometimes it doesn't get out of the way entirely.  A little bit of the top of it will still be visible.

Opera JavaScript Option.jpg

Opera JavaScript exceptions.jpg

9 hours ago, Chim said:

However, I'm leery as to what else it would affect.

Like i said above, i don't think there's much. Some are facebook/social media scripts, others might be for data analysis of some description.

If you're just reading the content on the site I don't think removing JS is an issue.

9 hours ago, Chim said:

That way I would be able to try specifying to block javascript specifically on the USA Today News web site.

Using ABP as described above will do exactly that, so long as you enter it under the usatoday.com section in ABP.

While a more intuitive method would be handy, it's available right now doing the above.

Okay, I have attached the AdBlock Plus window with usatoday.com selected.  What exact syntax am I supposed to type there in the box at the right?  I understand there is specific syntax of symbols that has to be used.  If it works on the USA Today web site, I'll give it a shot on the TV Guide web site as well.

I still think that MX5 should incorporate the function within itself as opposed to depending on the addon AdBlock Plus.  It would help its cause for when it has to slug it out with other browsers in the periodic reviews / comparisons where they juxtapose all browsers on a chart and put checks on what functions / perks each has ... and which ones they DON'T.

AdBlock Plus USA Today.jpg

That appears to have worked great on the USA Today News website, 7twenty.  That did the trick. :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:  No more annoying float down videos.

Then I tried the same thing on the TV Guide website.  Unfortunately lightning of good fortune didn't strike twice.  The javascript filter stunt didn't work on the TV Guide website.  Here it pretty much stopped everything from working.  Only like the header displayed and then things were dead in the water.  Oh well.  This one isn't as annoying as the USA Today News one was.  We can't have everything.

Thanks for the fix, 7twenty.

Archived