Browser autoupdate to 5.1.6.3000

Kilmatar

This was totally unexpected and completely inacceptable!

OK, brief report:

1. Delete or rename MxUp.exe in Maxthon's folder\bin

2. In Windows Scheduler find a Maxthons autoupdate task and disable/remove it

Remember to recheck this locations after you manually update your Maxthon's copy!

EDIT: Typo's

I'm having the exact same issue. I manually updated to 5.1.6.3000 and had many issues with extensions not working, so I completely uninstalled it and went back to .1000 which worked fine. When I close the browser and open it again, it automatically updated to 3000. Maxthon better not be doing what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10 by forcing users to upgrade. If this is your new strategy, then I'm going to stop using Maxthon. Honestly, since MX 5 this browser has gone downhill.

12 minutes ago, Mo88 said:

I'm having the exact same issue. I manually updated to 5.1.6.3000 and had many issues with extensions not working, so I completely uninstalled it and went back to .1000 which worked fine. When I close the browser and open it again, it automatically updated to 3000. Maxthon better not be doing what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10 by forcing users to upgrade. If this is your new strategy, then I'm going to stop using Maxthon. Honestly, since MX 5 this browser has gone downhill.

totally agree - as to updates - nothing has changed as far as i know they have always wanted to be in control - the user base is and always has been ignored 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

On 23/2/2018 at 8:27 AM, Kilmatar said:

1. Delete or rename MxUp.exe in Maxthon's folder\bin

Remember that mxup.exe is also in two other places

installation path: \ Maxthon5 \ _AppData \ Maxthon \ Public \ MxUp \ MxUp.exe

Y

% AppData% \ Maxthon5 \ Public \ MxUp \ MxUp.exe

The portable versions do not have the mxup.exe, so they are not updated automatically. For a while they are the only ones I use.

These also do not have the MxService.exe, which honestly I do not know what it does (a .dll library with the same name already exists)

19 hours ago, Mo88 said:

If I remember correctly, as well as chrome and opera, for example, they do the same, they update and when you restart it, you find the new version

And yes, I think the quality is going down a lot (not to mention that drag a core that I think has already a year, the core 55), when other browsers based on chrome, is updated almost every few days / weeks.

19 hours ago, Mo88 said:

Use the portable version unzipped to your hD (or SD.  It works fine with one glitch (which I attributebto Windows - I can't assign file extension (like *.mxskin) to Maxthon.exe, perhaps due to not making it my default browser.  But that doesn't interferbenough to even look for a solution.

And I'm never seeing any auto-updates.

<<SL>>

Archived