Maxthon auto-update

Chim

As to the part about Maxthon not updating itself and one having to manually update it?  Heck, I have always preferred manually updating my browser and any software myself when I choose to do so ... not when the software decides to up and surprise me with suddenly deciding to update itself.  I have Dial Up Internet.  I cannot afford to have software decide to update itself when it wants to.  I want to choose the appropriate time when I'm not going to be using my computer.

It used to chap my hide when Opera switched to updating itself automatically without any way to disable that.

So yeah, I sure hope MX5 never switches to updating itself automatically without any option / setting whatsoever to disable that and set it to manual.

7 hours ago, Chim said:

So yeah, I sure hope MX5 never switches to updating itself automatically without any option / setting whatsoever to disable that and set it to manual.

It's updating automatically in some versions if you haven't noticed, probably when it's idle or when updates are pushed

Uh Oh!  Well that's not going to be good ... for me anyway.  I barely switched to MX5 ohhh 2 weeks ago I think it was.  So, I haven't really had time for my MX5 to be in the bulls eye of any automatic update attempts, I guess.

IF they do start doing that in more of an ALWAYS manner ... shouldn't I be able to see some process in the Task Manager along the lines of - MaxthonUpdating or something like that?  IF they're smallish incremental updates sort of like say --- my avast daily updates, then it's not really a big deal.  However, IF they automatically force feed some HUGE update like when every new MX5 version is released, then yeah, that would bog down my Dial Up Internet-powered browsing for as long as the huge update takes.  :Grinmacing_Face_Emoji_42x42:

Like I said, hopefully the Maxthon Powers That Be have the decency and consideration to incorporate an option / setting for us to choose whether we want automatic or manual updating.

I believe you've mentioned that you use the Portable version as your main version, right?  Are you referring to using it from a Flash Drive or installed on your computer even though it's Portable?  I don't think that I would want to go the route of using my Portable Maxthon from my Flash Drive as an everyday choice.  In my case, I believe that in the past I've noticed slower operation from Portable browsers on MY computer be it Maxthon, Opera or Firefox vs. their desktop-installed counterparts.  It might have to do with my use of Dial Up.  So my Portable Maxthon and Portable Opera that I carry around right now on my Flash Drive are really only for when I'm using my Flash Drive on someone else's computer.

As far as renaming / deleting that mxup.exe file?  Hmmmm, that's reminding me of my Opera days when we first encountered the undesired automatic update situation.  At first, I think renaming an autoupdate.exe file or something along those lines used to work.  But, then the Devs changed things to where that wouldn't work anymore.  In fact, then NOTHING worked ... nothing prevented the undesired updates.

Do you at least know the exact process name of what I'd see in the Task Manager if an MX5 update is in progress?  Would it be that mxup.exe that I would see in the Task Manager?  If an MX5 automatic update does sneak up on me, I guarantee you I will notice a significant sluggishness in my browsing performance due to my Dial Up.  If I do encounter a sudden sluggishness in my browsing, I want to at least be able to check in the Task Manager for a particular indication that will confirm that it is an MX5 update so that I won't waste time troubleshooting what's going on.

Auto update discussion posts split from the original disappointing review thread.

--

25 minutes ago, Chim said:

I believe you've mentioned that you use the Portable version as your main version, right?  Are you referring to using it from a Flash Drive or installed on your computer even though it's Portable?

Yes, as my main version used on my PC. As far as i'm concerned the benefit of portable is that ALL the userdata is saved in the same folder with the program. If i want to test a new one, i just extract to a new folder and i have a fresh copy to work with. If i want my userdata then i copy that over, or use passport if you like using that. If I upgrade my system, i copy the whole MX5 folder and i'm at exactly where I was before the upgrade. No need to find the roaming data folder, and move it back if required, or using passport (which as far as i'm concerned isn't as reliable as it should be)

The fact that MX is a program that doesn't need hooks into th

e system means it's perfect use in such a scenario. Unless you're someone that likes desktop shortcuts created and whatever else goes on... portable is and should be the way all programs should installed (if possible) - IMHO

29 minutes ago, Chim said:

I don't think that I would want to go the route of using my Portable Maxthon from my Flash Drive as an everyday choice.  In my case, I believe that in the past I've noticed slower operation from Portable browsers on MY computer be it Maxthon, Opera or Firefox vs. their desktop-installed counterparts.

I find that hard to believe unless your PC is still using a platter based HDD, in which case both versions (installed/portable) would both be as slow as each other. I'd like to see some objective testing rather basing it on "what you think". As far anything is concerned they're effectively exactly the same, except that one saves data in the windows roaming folder and the other saves in it's own program folder.

38 minutes ago, Chim said:

Would it be that mxup.exe that I would see in the Task Manager?  

Pretty sure that's the one. Just rename it and see if errors out or just doesn't do anything. At worst you rename it back.

Alrighty then ... if I do encounter an unexpected, undesired force fed automatic MX5 update that is bogging down my browsing and making me see red, then I just might consider switching to the Portable version installed on my HD.  So far I've been lucky.  Time will tell if and with which option I'll have to go.

Thanks for the insight on the possible options, 7twenty.

Ahhh, apparently I encountered an MX5 automatic update attempt today.  I didn't see it in progress, but after lunch, after I came back to my computer, there on my screen was one of those Windows messages that usually inform you that your computer just recovered from a critical error and if you want to send it to Microsoft.  However, in this case, it said that "MxUp has encountered an error."  I am currently using version 5.1.6.1000.  I thought maybe a newer version than 5.1.6.2000 had just come out, but that wasn't the case.  So I guess it attempted to update my MX5 to version 5.1.6.2000.

Archived