Annoying "abnormal icon" warning

Apparently I'm not allowed to post in the correct forum, as only this one was available, with the support forum greyed out.

Anyway, I keep getting a Maxthon pop up on my Windows machine saying my desktop icon is "abnormal."  This is definitely being generated by Maxthon, NOT by Windows.  Here is the warning:

Untitled-1_zpsharccj1h.png~original

Again, this is an "MxUP" window, NOT from Windows (I repeat this because a prior user already complained about this popup and kept getting told it was a Windows warning when he tried to delete the icon, which is NOT what is going on here).

Anyway, the problem is that I do not want a desktop icon for ANY browser, and I get this warning every single time I delete the Maxthon desktop icon.  It's pretty annoying to keep getting told that my icon is abnormal when it's actually deleted, intentionally.  How do I stop this warning from popping up over and over again?

Doing some testing using 5.1.6.2000 I don't get that dialog. There is a yellow notification bar stating that shown in maxthon once started after the shortcut is deleted.

But after dismissing the notification with the X button on the right side it hasn't come back.

Opened MX 10 times since and there hasn't been any more warnings.

If you're not using the latest version update to that and do the above. Hopefully you get the same outcome.

1 hour ago, 30896752 said:

a prior user already complained about this popup and kept getting told it was a Windows warning when he tried to delete the icon,

Found the thread. The windows warning was about the delete dialog, not the abnormal icon one which clearly is a maxthon thing.

3 hours ago, 30896752 said:

Anyway, the problem is that I do not want a desktop icon for ANY browser, and I get this warning every single time I delete the Maxthon desktop icon. 

When you install a new version, click on advanced in the install dialog, and uncheck Create Desktop Icon and then you don't have to delete it. I create it each time so that I can Pin to Taskbar after renaming the desktop icon; then I delete the desktop icon and shortly get the same message you are seeing. I just close it and that's it. It is a bit annoying but certainly not a game breaker. I'm more annoyed that I am no longer able to have more than one Maxthon icon in my taskbar as I am a tester and may desire to have 2 or 3 versions available at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived