5.1.6.1000 and Favorites Bar

Chantao

By now I was used to the fact that the favorites bar does not sort itself alphabetically with Maxnote. I then manually put the bookmark in its place. With the new Release Verion, everything is sorted alphabetically at the beginning of the Fav Bar.

That does not make me any more enjoyable and really reminds me of Opera 11, only that one could automatically sort on each bookmark folder. Every new version I test, but that's another release, which takes me even further from Maxthon. By now Vaivaldi is really better and more beautiful.

Z-A-Sorted.png

Passkeeper does not transfer logins: I had to log in to the forum manually. If I want to import bookmarks, it freezes. I have to quit browser via Task Manager. Then the bookmarks are there, in reverse order. I export these and import again, so that the order is correct.

In between, the browser freezes over and over and I have to quit with Task Manager.

Say people: Should this be a beta or gamma version? That's a joke.

17 minutes ago, Chantao said:

I had to log in to the forum manually.

This sounds like a cookie issue. Do you normally use the passkeeper saved login to sign in, or it's normally already signed in?

17 minutes ago, Chantao said:

Passkeeper does not transfer logins:

This sounds like the passkeeper data wasn't loaded. Maybe still waiting for the bookmarks to be imported?!

24 minutes ago, Chantao said:

In between, the browser freezes over and over and I have to quit with Task Manager

Just you i think. I won't say MX is the pinnacle of coding, but for me it's as stable as you'd expect a program to be.

18 minutes ago, Chantao said:

If I want to import bookmarks, it freezes

You seem to have 5000+ bookmarks. It will no doubt take some time, so while it may seem that it's crashed, it's probably still chugging through that huge list. You may want to spend some time culling that list slightly...

26 minutes ago, Chantao said:

Say people: Should this be a beta or gamma version? That's a joke.

No joke, software has it's niggles occasionally.

It's not going to fix itself: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/21475-maxthon-troubleshooting-tips-and-tricks/

42 minutes ago, Chantao said:

I abstain from any comment

Ok then.

But as i said above, it's not going to magically fix itself. If you're not prepared to do at least some groundwork to find a possible root cause then the same will keep happening.

42 minutes ago, Chantao said:

The trouble with the trouble shooting: I'm not a browser greenhorn,

It doesn't matter if you're a newbie or a seasoned professional, troubleshooting is the first thing you do to try and narrow down the potential cause. Unless you have other information showing the equivalent of what the troubleshooting steps should provide, i fail to see how your lack of being a greenhorn has any relevance.

The trouble with not doing troubleshooting steps because they think they know better, is the headaches that arise because they don't follow instructions.

If you know better, then good luck with it.

I will do it tomorrow. But has brought nothing, but I still can not log in, I can not get LastPass anymore. I do not know why you sell something like a release.And I certainly do not know why I should start as a user troubleshooting, if there is sold as a scrap release. Maxthon was once great and is now only Schangrila. Maybe with a new heart, but you can forget this. There are much better browsers on the market.

And now also without LastPass

keinlastpass.png

The problem is, if something does not work for Maxthon, then it will not work for all versions. I can not even log into LastPass yet. I already accepted that the addon does not work anymore, but at least I would have to log in. Well, now separate our Maxthon. They were nice years.

That I would have to do as a user troubleshooting is not acceptable to me, but you know 7Twenty always with his utterances.

14 minutes ago, Chantao said:

The problem is, if something does not work for Maxthon, then it will not work for all versions. I can not even log into LastPass yet. I already accepted that the addon does not work anymore, but at least I would have to log in. Well, now separate our Maxthon. They were nice years.

That I would have to do as a user troubleshooting is not acceptable to me, but you know 7Twenty always with his utterances.

you accept its short comings and use an alternative for things it gets wrong - or move on - but all browsers have problems - not found one yet thats 100% compatible with every site

as to lastpass - thats never worked well with Maxthon or not for many years - is that Maxthons fault or Lastpass 

Maxthons is becoming more and more a minority browser which is losing support from people like Lastpass - i guess they see little point in the effort needed to make it work 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

If Passkeeper at least would work properly, no issue. But there are logins in it that I used years ago. Multiple logins for an account in parallel, so he does not recognize the login. I can not always delete everything manually, which is twice as.

2 hours ago, Chantao said:

I'd just like to point out that this isn't like a car that has an issue where you can take it to a mechanic to look over. The issue in this case is with your install, on your system, with your userdata. I fail to see how I or the MX dev's can fix a problem that seems to be occurring solely on YOUR system. And we can only go by the information you provide.

The best anyone can do, even the Maxthon devs, is offer pointers as to what to look at to try and help resolve the issue. We can't fix the issue without doing a remote desktop session, depending on the nature of the issue.

You can call my advice whatever you want, but I still standby the troubleshooting thread and all the advice i've given to users which HAS helped fix issues over the years. Just because you don't have the inclination/knowledge/desire/time or anything else doesn't make it any less useful.

On 25/01/2018 at 6:27 AM, Chantao said:

I will do it tomorrow. But has brought nothing, but I still can not log in, I can not get LastPass anymore.

And again, you state the troubleshooting thread didn't fix the problems... it's not a magical fix! It may fix it, but it's to help get closer to the issue.

But worst of all you provide no feedback on what exactly was/wasn't tested. Did you disable all extensions? Did you try a guest account? Did you try a portable version with/without logging in? Now you mention LastPass? Was that what was being used to login? Or passkeeper? Or cookies???

1 hour ago, Chantao said:

If Passkeeper at least would work properly, no issue.

Again, you're saying something, but there's no content to work with!? Work on what site? Is it not filling a username or password field? Is it a problem with a site that uses separate pages? Are you sure there isn't a problem with your login details?

So many questions.... no answers.

As tony said, if Maxthon doesn't work for you then try any of the 100's of chrome clones, edge, firefox, opera.

Good luck with it. I hope their forums have as much fun as what we did.

Just an addendum to that...

Because i like to be thorough, I decided to test Lastpass to see what all the fuss is about. In the 2 minutes after installing it I had Maxthon crash 2 times. Since removing that extension, the browser is back to being rock solid just the way it's been for ages before that.

That took me literally 2minutes to find that the lastpass extension is causing an issue (at least on my system). And that my friend, is troubleshooting and how it helps. If I wanted to go further, i'd test on a clean install to see if it's some sort of a conflict between the extension and my userdata. But given many users complain about it, i'm thinking it's the 30mb extension that's at fault.

@7twenty: Please remember the Name of this Threat: 5.1.6.1000 and Favorites Bar.

Even if I delete LastPass as an extension: The error that the imported bookmarks all arrive in the wrong order sequence is still given. And if I change the order in Maxnote: At the Fav Bar, this has no effect. If you argue over my question it does not get better with Trouble Shooting.

In addition, the passkeeper does not work properly.
Even if you have humor: ."..  the way it's been for ages before that. " Maxthon has still worked, as it was the version "V4.9.2.600", after all, there are only points of criticism.

I wasn't going to reply anymore to this thread, but apparently i'm too much of a nice person to let this one die...

So...

Please remember the Name of this Thread

Well aware of it. But you started talking about the browser freezing. In my book a browser that freezes is infinitely worse than a few bookmarks in the wrong order. Mainly because you can't access those bookmarks (right or wrong order) if the browser isn't working. So while i'm not directly fixing the issue, i am in a roundabout way... and there's every chance that your browser won't crash every 2 mins if you get rid of LastPass. Because troubleshooting!

And then you started talking about Passkeeper issues, which i asked some questions about and still haven't received a reply to.

Even if you have humor: ."..  the way it's been for ages before that

That's not meant to be funny... it's a fact. I can probably count the amount of crashes of Maxthon on 1 hand, and half of those are from the test with LastPass yesterday.

The error that the imported bookmarks all arrive in the wrong order sequence is still given. And if I change the order in Maxnote: At the Fav Bar, this has no effect.  If you argue over my question it does not get better with Trouble Shooting.

That's not a troubleshooting issue. That's a design decision and something you need to argue with the dev's about.

So unless I see some actual answers to the questions asked (or a reply that begs a response), this will be the last post from me in this thread.

I confirm the problem with the favorites, in all versions after 5.1.4.1700. I have a folder in my favorites with more than 4500 bookmarks, an attempt to open this folder leads to a "interface error" and a browser crash. As a result, the use of a newer version of the browser than 5.1.4.1700 is impossible. The error appears on computers with different configurations and with different operating systems: Win7 Prof 32-bit, Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, Win10 Home 64-bit. Attempts to install the browser cleanly do not lead to anything. I consider this a critical bug.

maxton_favorites_error2.jpg

24 minutes ago, gudkov said:

I have a folder in my favorites with more than 4500 bookmarks

maybe thats part of the problem - what the hell have you bookmarked - the internet??

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

maybe thats part of the problem - what the hell have you bookmarked - the internet??

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

I noted the error "interface error" (indicated by the arrow) that comes up when I try to open a favorite folder containing 4558 links (circled). Even, or nothing else happens and the folder can not be opened, or the browser just closes by itself. Folders with a small number of links open normally, the problem is present in all versions above 5.1.4.1700, while I have to stay on this version. I think it makes no sense to discuss the number of bookmarks in the favorites, modern browsers have no limitations on this parameter, Maxthon as I understand it among them. Especially up to version 5.1.4.1700 inclusive, there was no problem.

5 hours ago, Magdalene said:

I have 19100 bookmarked Favourites.

Eeek 4 internets! :p Given that it may not be the number, but what's in there. There was an issue long ago with a special character causing issues with the last session page. Could be a similar issue with Favs.

What's the most in one folder? Same question to @gudkov

5 hours ago, Magdalene said:

import my Bookmarks as an HTML file. 

5 hours ago, gudkov said:

syncing from the cloud.

Looking at the above that may have something to do with it. Maybe a slow connection causing the sync to fail or corrupt? I'd like to think that there is some of verification though.

I think this error may have been looked at/fixed in the most recent version?

If the problem is reproducible all the time, then it can be checked simply by moving out half the favs (obviously keep a backup) and see if it still happens. If all is good, remove the other half and see what happens. Then keep adding by half of what's left until it starts happening again.

Although before that, i'd test with a portable version with exported/imported fav data. Use the guest account and see what happens. If it's good, then it's possible it's not the quantity or data, but is related to the sync. If it still happens then it's quantity or data. Do the remove by half test and see what happens.

12 hours ago, gudkov said:

I confirm the problem with the favorites, in all versions after 5.1.4.1700. I have a folder in my favorites with more than 4500 bookmarks, an attempt to open this folder leads to a "interface error" and a browser crash. As a result, the use of a newer version of the browser than 5.1.4.1700 is impossible. The error appears on computers with different configurations and with different operating systems: Win7 Prof 32-bit, Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, Win10 Home 64-bit. Attempts to install the browser cleanly do not lead to anything. I consider this a critical bug.

maxton_favorites_error2.jpg

In previous versions to the current stable, 5.1.6.1000, something of that style also happened, but in the latter it had been solved

Archived