Is This Ad by Maxthon?

I'm using Maxthon v4.9.5.1 because it's the last version of this browser that does everything I need it to do and performs to my satisfaction. Or at least it did until a banner ad was somehow remotely installed on my New Tab screen. Since then, Maxthon crashes randomly when I open or close tabs. Please advise on how to get rid of this banner ad or otherwise restore my full browser functionality.

Aside from that, I don't want any future changes to be made to my current Maxthon installation without my say-so. Please tell me how to configure version 4.9.5.1 in a way that it asks for permission before it installs anything and/or how to opt out of ads. This browser wasn't adware when I installed it and I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A while ago, out of the blue I got this ad right below the bookmarks bar as you can see by the image I have attached.

Normally the only thing I'll see at that spot on some rare occasions is a message from Maxthon that my browser is old and that thus my loading is slow so I should upgrade.  But, I normally just close that and don't see it again for a long time after that.  But, I had never seen a flat out AD in that spot.

IS that ad generated by Maxthon or is that some adware?

Maxthon AD.jpg

I use Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 and Windows XP Pro SP3.

Anyway, I already tried clearing out all the Maxthon browser browsing data while checking all the boxes for the different categories of stuff to clear out.  I performed a thorough cleaning of files, registry entries and stuff with CCleaner, Glary Utilities and Wise Care 365.  I scanned with Malwarebytes' AdwCleaner and JRT.  All of that and the ad is still there.

So, it's either going to be Maxthon-related or it's time to go to the avast forums to get some help removing that ad.

I wouldn't think that AdBlock Plus would normally allow that ad to be on there.

I'm not getting your point.  I'm aware that there is MX5.  

My question, my wondering is if that ad is being generated by Maxthon and is therefore harmless and I can just safely click on that up arrow on the upper right of the ad and maybe close it.

Or are you suggesting that Maxthon is pulling an Apple (Slowing down older phones purposely) and trying to pester me into upgrading to MX5?

Otherwise, Maxthon 4.9.4.2000 or MX5 ... I would think there shouldn't be an ad like that on the GUI purposely generated by or allowed by Maxthon.  One thing is to periodically inform me that my browser is old (which I of course know) ... but, another would be to start using undesired ADs as the strategy to get me to upgrade ... IF that's what were to be happening.

Hmmm ... I just tried something.  I tried my Opera browser.  No annoying ad displays anywhere with it.  So, while I could still be wrong, it appears to point the finger at Maxthon as putting up the non-Maxthon-related ad.  That would be pretty low if that was what was going on.

Well, just waiting for an official word from someone.

Whew!  Good to see that my computer hadn't been infected by adware.

I clicked on that up arrow, but it didn't close completely.  It left what appears to be something like a coin on a string as in the attached pic.  I'm guessing that's as closed as it's going to get.  I guess clicking on that coin will bring the ad back up.

Anyway, I feel much better now.  I'll now fuhgedaboutit.  Thanks for clearing things up, 7twenty ... Chemodan. :5884970a7da3a_1:

Maxthon LVT.jpg

Hello 

May I know which banner ad that you mentioned? From Maxthon or website? 

MX4 exist crashed and not stable when comparing with MX5. MX5 optimized its performance and enhanced stability. And today our team will concentrate on update/maintenance Maxthon5. So here I suggest you install the newest version, if you unsatisfied with new version during the using process, you are welcomed to share your experience with us. And we would glad to help you solve the problem or listen to your voice.

Thank you!

On 24/01/2018 at 0:16 AM, 10135635 said:

Or at least it did until a banner ad was somehow remotely installed on my New Tab screen.

Merged with thread started by Chim.

See answer in post #9

7 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

May I know which banner ad that you mentioned?

See post #2

4 hours ago, Llara said:

Maxthon 5. 1.6.1000  Same Add

Sin título.jpgSin título1.jpg

Sorry ... but I don't like it at all

I had a similar ad on a pertable version (5.1.6.200 this afternoon.  I clicked the "Close" X and it went away except for the pull-string.  Then I quit and restarted with 5.1.6.1000 and it's gone ... no remainder.

This is the second time it's happened.

<<SL>>

Right just getting started on removing maxthon from all 8 pcs on my network

new browser ive tried is a peach based on chrome i believe so has loads of goodies

Shame as ive used maxthon since myie2 but its degraded over time constantly

so its bye-bye and thanx for all the fish...

All you need just a try to help get more much money for Maxthon team.

If you install extension:http://extensiondl.maxthon.cn/skinpack/7557104/1516887202.mxaddon

and register: https://lives.one/invite/register?code=fWcj8w

you can use your favorite browser as always, buy now you will mine money to you and help to reach goal for maxthon team.

15 hours ago, Llara said:

Maxthon 5. 1.6.1000  Same Add

Sin título.jpgSin título1.jpg

Sorry ... but I don't like it at all

Add to Adblock in global section this filter rule:

pc-newtab.maxthon.com###navigation

And don't forget to remove exception rule in global and maxthon.com sections of Adblock:

@@||maxthon.com^$document

2 hours ago, animos said:

And don't forget to remove exception rule in global and maxthon.com sections of Adblock:

excellent - many thanks - can the search box be got rid of in a similar manner?

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

7 hours ago, animos said:

It worked !!!!!! :5884970a7da3a_1:Thanks so much animos!!!!

Archived