Cannot open a .html file from desktop.

Since I upgraded to Maxthon 5.1.5.2000, I can't open a local HTML file from a shortcut which I have created on my Window 7 desktop. Double-clicking on it while I was using the previous version (I believe it was 5.1.5.1000) worked fine (html file opened in Maxthon) but when I double-click on it now, after the upgrade, Maxthon comes to the foreground but the file is not loaded.

If I right-click on the shortcut icon on the desktop and select "Open With -> MX5" then the file will open normally. If I double-click on it from a file browser like Windows Explorer or Total Commander it will open normally also. Just double-clicking on the shortcut icon does not work anymore.

it has to be a shortcut to a HTML file somewhere on the hard drive, not the actual HTML file itself that is saved on desktop. I temporarily set Chrome to default browser and double-clicked on the shortcut just to make sure there's nothing wrong with the shortcut or the filetype association. Chrome opened the file immediately with no problems. I then changed the default browser back to Maxthon and the shortcut again doesn't work. So it must be some bug with Maxthon.

Can someone test & confirm ?

49 minutes ago, pantantrollo said:

I also confirm
It does not work being shortcut and also no work if is an link symbolic. The hard link yes it works

No problem here opening a local HTML file in Mx 5.1.6.200 beta portable version.

<<SL>>

3 hours ago, Perplexer said:

Since I upgraded to Maxthon 5.1.5.2000, I can't open a local HTML file from a shortcut which I have created on my Window 7 desktop. Double-clicking on it while I was using the previous version (I believe it was 5.1.5.1000) worked fine (html file opened in Maxthon) but when I double-click on it now, after the upgrade, Maxthon comes to the foreground but the file is not loaded.

I have checked again with other versions of Maxthon, and also, it happens to me with previous versions, installed and portable (series 5 and 4). An empty window opens each time a double click is made.

(Tested in the latest beta, with a clean installation, it does not work for me)

Tested changing the predeternado navigator to Opera, Vivaldi, Egde, If YES works.
Back to Maxthon, it does not work anymore

It also happens with "open with" and I choose the version of Maxthon, whenever it is a windows's shorcut or a symbolic link

I've tried this last with other browsers in which it YES works:
Vivaldi, Opera, Internet Explore, Chrome, and Egde

You're right, it may not work in older versions also. I just tried it on my other PC running an older Maxthon 5.1.2.200 on Windows XP and clicking on a HTML shortcut didn't work there also.

The weird thing is that it DID work yesterday here on my Windows 7 PC running Maxthon 5.1.5.1000 just before I upgraded to 5.1.5.2000. I have no idea what causes this. Must be Maxthon since it is the only browser which does not work with standard HTML shortcuts that all other browsers understand normally.

I did find a workaround though ... I dragged my "Test.html" file into Maxthon so that it opened successfully. Then I right-clicked on the TAB and clicked on "Send to..." -> "Desktop Shortcut". This created a new shortcut for this "Test.html" file on the desktop for me. But when I looked at the properties of the shortcut it looked like Maxthon uses a weird way of opening shortcuts since it apparently encodes/encrypts the Test.html filename & path as an argument, so that the shortcut looks something like this:

D:\Programs\Internet\Maxthon\Bin\Maxthon.exe UN/xd2eXe9l02cyi7hzyltzLVll5S/wJYHPnpUgsHvwJl

13 minutes ago, Perplexer said:

I did find a workaround though ... I dragged my "Test.html" file into Maxthon so that it opened successfully. Then I right-clicked on the TAB and clicked on "Send to..." -> "Desktop Shortcut". This created a new shortcut for this "Test.html" file on the desktop for me. But when I looked at the properties of the shortcut it looked like Maxthon uses a weird way of opening shortcuts since it apparently encodes/encrypts the Test.html filename & path as an argument, so that the shortcut looks something like this:

D:\Programs\Internet\Maxthon\Bin\Maxthon.exe UN/xd2eXe9l02cyi7hzyltzLVll5S/wJYHPnpUgsHvwJl

Yes, but it's another thing we talked about, each browser tries its links to tabs

I just tried with more types of files, and the result is the same.

Any windows' shorcut , be it html, xml, jpg (png etc ..), that could open the browser, it does NOT.

"open with" from the windows menu, DO NOT open the windows' shorcut to those files. Other browsers, SI

13 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

Yes, but it's another thing we talked about, each browser tries its links to tabs

I just tried with more types of files, and the result is the same.

Any windows' shorcut , be it html, xml, jpg (png etc ..), that could open the browser, it does NOT.

"open with" from the windows menu, DO NOT open the windows' shorcut to those files. Other browsers, SI

Do you have Maxthon set as default browser?  Same question for the other browsers?

I do not have Maxthon set as default on Win7 64-bit.  I was mistaken.  Selecting an html file using External tools to run Windows Explorer and select the file opens it in my default browser as it should.  I would expect a Windows shortcut to also go to the default browser.

However Maxthon "shortcuts (tiles in QA or sother Mx-specific files should go to Maxthon.

Another possibility comes to mind.  Check your file associations in Windows to be sure which browser they are pointing to.

I see no problem in Maxthon.  Windows is doing what I've set it to do in my system.

<<SL>>

If I set MX5 as the default browser, then click on the html file, then open via MX. Strange, although I otherwise the biggest CRYER  in the MX 5 error, everything works for me.:p I also save my bookmarks to disk, so that I can reach them with main browser because most browsers now take a long time to import bookmarks, at 6000 files..

2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

local html files- Is the file download from website?

It's irrelevant where the html file is from or what the html file is.

The point is that it doesn't work from a shortcut.

Attached is a test file. The contents are:

<html>
this is a html file!!
</html>

if you save it to the desktop and open it, it will open normally. If you create a shortcut to that file (right-click > create shortcut), it won't open.

test_html_file.html

This problem is caused by shortcut protection, the shortcut which is only sent to the desktop through the Maxthon browser can with double-click to open, as for shortcuts created by manually or third party software will not open, it will open 'Maxthon Now' instead. The main purpose is to protect the home page not to be tampered.

Now you can right click the tab and select send to "desktop shortcut".

As for this issue: Whether improve this or not in the future here we will have a discuss.

Thanks~

6 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

This problem is caused by shortcut protection, the shortcut which is only sent to the desktop through the Maxthon browser can with double-click to open, as for shortcuts created by manually or third party software will not open, it will open 'Maxthon Now' instead. The main purpose is to protect the home page not to be tampered.

Now you can right click the tab and select send to "desktop shortcut".

As for this issue: Whether improve this or not in the future here we will have a discuss.

Thanks~

I think that what you are commenting is done with the "shortcut of a tab" to the desktop and the way it is built (something is commented above about it), but it does not have to do with the opening of a local file through from a shortcut to that file, I sincerely believe that they are different things

On 2018/1/19 at 10:32 PM, pantantrollo said:

I think that what you are commenting is done with the "shortcut of a tab" to the desktop and the way it is built (something is commented above about it), but it does not have to do with the opening of a local file through from a shortcut to that file, I sincerely believe that they are different things

I fully understand what the moderators said and I have no misunderstanding. 

[can't opening of a local file through from a shortcut to that file]-- This problem is caused by shortcut protection, the shortcut which is only sent to the desktop through the Maxthon browser can with double-click to open, as for shortcuts created by manually or third party software will not open, it will open 'Maxthon Now' instead. The main purpose is to protect the home page not to be tampered.

[Now you can right click the tab and select send to "desktop shortcut"] This is a way to solve the issue, if users create a shortcut via tab in Maxthon browser, it can open directly, and will not be"protected" because it create by Maxthon browser, we can totally 'trust' it.

Archived