High memory usage in some cases

MAXSHARK

What version are you using? And is this a new install or upgrade; in other words did this just start happening on an existing installation or did it begin with a new upgrade install? And if an upgrade, from what version to what new version? 

(And you might want to edit your topic title "High memory usage in COME cases")

all the newer versions have memory leaks...

have to re-boot to free up my memory after so many hours with Maxthon open.

I have 19 gig and even that pins in time.

SHOULD at least go back down when closing the browser.

Not very good programming in my opinion, though this newest one (v5.1.5.200) seems a BIT better than past ones.

52 minutes ago, Golfmann said:

Not very good programming in my opinion, though this newest one (v5.1.5.200) seems a BIT better than past ones.

Sorry, but I have never experienced any memory leaks in all of the versions I have installed as a core member and tester since 2004. My current Windows 10 computer has 12 gb of Ram and I have never had to reboot to free up memory, even after leaving Maxthon open over night. And it goes back down and away when I close the browser with nothing showing in Task Manager. I am a firm believer that it is very critical just how one installs new versions. I never install a beta over a fully working version and I never install a significant upgrade version over a lower version; for example, I didn't install a MX5 version over a MX4 version, and when the versions went from say 5.1.2 to a 5.1.3 and then to 5.1.4., I installed each in a new folder (For those that aren't aware, Maxthon does not have to be installed into a folder named Maxthon 5 or Maxthon; it works quite well in any folder named whatever you like; so I use folder names such as MX5.1.4.x and MX5.1.4.xx etc and 5.1.5.x and 5.1.5.xx. I don't touch the data folder in Roaming as that is what the program looks for. To do a totally clean install, I rename that folder to Maxthon5old and the program will create a new Maxthon5 data folder) Now, as a tester I see a lot more versions than the general public so I need to do something like this to keep them all separate to do fair comparative testing but have found that this pretty much insures that I will get a good installation. Right now I have 5 separate installations.

17 hours ago, rick.lane said:

(And you might want to edit your topic title "High memory usage in COME cases")

Thanks for the warning but how can I edit it ? :(

16 hours ago, Golfmann said:

Unfortunately Maxthon is getting worse and worse :(

Yes, there is a huge,very huge RAM issue.Sometime it happens sometimes its not.

A clean uninstall and then clean install always ens up in high memory leak.

But When I install old version then uninstall keeping users settings etc then instal the new version,everything is fine.Otherwise RAM is being increasing in seconds then crashes or causes a blank screen.

Here's what I did and it seems much better:

Using Wise Program Uninstaller (I believe it's free and part of Wisecare365), I deleted MX5 and let the uninstaller remove  traces in the registry.

Closed down computer and restarted.

Then installed newest version (v5.1.5.1000) I had downloaded earlier BUT...
on the installation path window I ADDED the words new to the MX5 folder path (now MX5new) as suggested by Rick above.

Seems better!

(There have been SO many stalls and crashes in older versions, it's sure possible a corruption has happened and maybe more than one)

ANYWAY...

HOPE this helps and good luck!

1 hour ago, MAXSHARK said:

Thanks for the warning but how can I edit it ? :(

Good question. I thought I knew how but looked at a couple of threads that I had started in the past and couldn't quickly find a way to do it. Maybe a moderator is required to edit a topic title.

Archived