5.1.4.1700 - address bar

Kilmatar

10 minutes ago, Secret-HQ said:

Given the new UI, that bar on the QuickAccess page is a bit redundant.  Perhaps it should be retired by default in favor of more pinned pages/groups.

As someone mentioned in another post, it is only a search bar and can't be used to enter a url, so if you aren't using the search bar...

Just now, PHYR said:

As someone mentioned in another post, it is only a search bar and can't be used to enter a url, so if you aren't using the search bar...

That seems like it would be even more redundant.  ;)  If you're not using the search bar, you probably prefer having a single bar to do everything from — and that bar is still available in the upper UI of the frame.

My suggestion would be to do away with the input bar on QA entirely now that there's a permament bar in the frame again.

25 minutes ago, Secret-HQ said:

That seems like it would be even more redundant.  ;)  If you're not using the search bar, you probably prefer having a single bar to do everything from — and that bar is still available in the upper UI of the frame.

My suggestion would be to do away with the input bar on QA entirely now that there's a permament bar in the frame again.

But it isn't, address bar no longer works for search, you can't switch search engine.

10 hours ago, PHYR said:

But it isn't, address bar no longer works for search, you can't switch search engine.

The addressbar retains its search function for me, but you're right that we cannot switch search engins in it.  However you can switch engine in the Settings, searchbax, and the QA searchbox.  So switching search engines in the addressbar only makes the function quadruplly redundant,

It appears that aliases may work, thpugh the ones listed are full words not abbreviations.

<<SL>>

8 hours ago, PHYR said:

The address bar still works as it always has for me.

9 hours ago, PHYR said:

It still works for me.  I can switch engines in the address bar by typing alias search_string — for example, /b Maxthon will search "Maxthon" on Bing.

6 hours ago, Chemodan said:

The address bar is still working as a search. But first you need to manually clear the address.

Hasn't that always been the case?

What would the alternative be?  If you leave any of the old URL in the address bar, it will be parsed as part of the search string.

(I typically select the content of the bar and begin typing, which replaces the old URL entirely.)

3 hours ago, -ody- said:

I can't confirm this, all my aliases work, although their name does no longer show left of the bar as it used to

Same for me.  (And I do miss that, even though it's relatively minor and mostly cosmetic.)

2 hours ago, Secret-HQ said:

The address bar still works as it always has for me.

It still works for me.  I can switch engines in the address bar by typing alias search_string — for example, /b Maxthon will search "Maxthon" on Bing.

Hasn't that always been the case?

What would the alternative be?  If you leave any of the old URL in the address bar, it will be parsed as part of the search string.

(I typically select the content of the bar and begin typing, which replaces the old URL entirely.)

Same for me.  (And I do miss that, even though it's relatively minor and mostly cosmetic.)

Uhm, I just tried aliases again and now it works fine where it hadn't in the last couple builds. Nothing I did to fix it either, it just now works.

1 hour ago, PHYR said:

Uhm, I just tried aliases again and now it works fine where it hadn't in the last couple builds. Nothing I did to fix it either, it just now works.

:5884970a7da3a_1:

Maybe the devs caught it.  They seem to have broken and fixed quite a few small features in quick succession during the last couple of betas.

15 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

The addressbar retains its search function for me, but you're right that we cannot switch search engins in it.  However you can switch engine in the Settings, searchbax, and the QA searchbox.  So switching search engines in the addressbar only makes the function quadruplly redundant,

It appears that aliases may work, thpugh the ones listed are full words not abbreviations.

<<SL>>

Even faster, if you change directly in the search box (right button "search on top frame", it is also changed in the address bar.

Un Saludo

2 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

Even faster, if you change directly in the search box (right button "search on top frame", it is also changed in the address bar.

Un Saludo

The right button in the searchbox only executes a search.  The left button has the list of search engins, but there's no "search on top frame" option.  I'm puzzled; did I misunderstand what you meant?

<<SL>>

4 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

The right button in the searchbox only executes a search.  The left button has the list of search engins, but there's no "search on top frame" option.  I'm puzzled; did I misunderstand what you meant?

<<SL>>

Sorry, I explained bad (my English in bad)

Upload picture

From there, it is faster than entering options / etc ...

snap_screen_20171201220845.png

39 minutes ago, pantantrollo said:

Sorry, I explained bad (my English in bad)

Upload picture

From there, it is faster than entering options / etc ...

snap_screen_20171201220845.png

OK, I knew that one.  Just misunderstood and was search for something else.

<<SL>>

I actually like it this way.

On 11/30/2017 at 5:38 AM, Secret-HQ said:

Given the new UI, that bar on the QuickAccess page is a bit redundant.  Perhaps it should be retired by default in favor of more pinned pages/groups.

Searching in address bar is always a pet peeve of mine. I want my search to open a new tab, but searching in the address bar means to replace the page with a search page, by definition

2 hours ago, Simamtk said:

I actually like it this way.

Searching in address bar is always a pet peeve of mine. I want my search to open a new tab, but searching in the address bar means to replace the page with a search page, by definition

Not so, I have my address searches set to open in a new tab, general > New Tab Option, set to open new tab from address bar

Archived