New Install Can't Sync Passwords

I had to reinstall Maxthon 5 (5.0.4.3000). When I tried to use Sync to restore my passwords, nothing happened.  My password collection is the result of  years of using Maxthon. Losing the passwords has me considering changing browsers. I don't want to, but in addition to losing  passwords, so many things--access to features, particularly--have changed, it's like learning a whole new browser from scratch. I'm not sure how Maxthon benefits me any longer. 

ron

If you're synced you must have an account with it all stored on the cloud.

Did you click delete personal info on the earlier removal?

I don't know what happened at your end but it syncs fine here with new installs and I am using 3000 re-installed from the last beta try now.

Proving...

This one is not Maxthon's fault

"This one is not Maxthon's fault" says it. If this is not Maxthon's fault, it's an exception. Yes, I am synced, No I did not delete personal data--my drive crashed. When I click the avatar, I have 16.83 KB in the cloud.  Why can't I get that back easily.  The avatar, BTW, is not the one I had before the crash. Also, Maxthon lost track of my birthdate--not that I care.  I did a  simple reinstall, counting on Maxthon to restore bookmarks, history, and other helpful information. It did not. In my opinion, that makes it Maxthon's fault, some way or another.

It seems as if I'm always asking, "What happened to so and so feature," only to be told, "It's still there. Look under the hidden pixels in Settings during a full moon."  The features are sure enough there, but not where long-time users of Maxthon, like me, are used to finding them. There is often no good reason for placing features somewhere new or for changing how you  use them. Why should I have to click at least four menu items to print? And where's Snap, a truly helpful feature?  Yes, I know I can press the PRT SCR key, but that  doesn't give me the opportunity to crop a screen image first.

I used to love Maxthon, and I wrote about it's superiority to all other browsers and how using it gave me feels of power and joy. Lately when I load up Maxthon, I feel only dread.

Oh, and -- just to get it all out -- I resent being called a freshman when I have been using Maxthon for more than  27 years.

57 minutes ago, MaxthonGuy said:

-my drive crashed.
The avatar, BTW, is not the one I had before the crash. 

Things like this are are handy to know when trying to resolve issues. Should've been in the first post.

This indicates it could be data corruption. Based on the first post the assumption would be connection error.

When I go to the doctor, i don't say i've got a cough and let him figure it out. 1/ because it's a symptom of many illnesses, 2/ it's easier to narrow in on the problem when you know other related symptoms- headache, sore joints etc. Just a cough could be a minor throat infection. But + headache, sore joints, shivering etc more than likely influenza.

Did you try my suggestion above?

1 hour ago, MaxthonGuy said:

And where's Snap, a truly helpful feature?

The same place it's always been, in the toolbar to the right of the address bar (crop icon, not camera like it used to be). It's there by default so no reason why it shouldn't be on yours unless you've changed something or the crash has caused you other issues. If you've hidden snap by mistake (click the three dots icon), then that's not on Maxthon either. Hiding toolbar icons is something that has been asked for since MX3 and finally made it to MX5.

As for other features moving, i can't think of any. The settings page and main menu have changed their design slightly, but are for the most part very similar. Nothing is hard to find, and there's search in settings which works well.

1 hour ago, MaxthonGuy said:

using Maxthon for more than  27 years.

Maxthon was around in 1990? :p 

I'm all up for complaints when warranted, or as a means of constructive criticism (i do it all the time). But there's complaints for the sake of complaining, and complaining to achieve a favourable outcome.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 7Twenty....

I haven't  tried your suggestions  because I just have not been using Maxthon for several months.   I'll m ention a few t hings in hope that it will help Jeff get the program we all always wanted.

I could have been more helpful in the original post, but the syncing problem swas just the last straw in a long line of glitches and obscure  changes  over the years. And yes, Maxthon, under an different name was  aobut in 1990 or there abouts. If you'd used Maxthon as  long as  I have, you'd never say " The settings page and main menu have changed their design slightly..."  Changes have been a least a dozen a year and many of those changes are then changed again later.  Despite you advice, Snap is still not there. Below  is  what my upper-right corner looks like. No snap.  I did find it once I used the search function in  settings that you told me about. But I shouldn't have had to.  If the developers are going to change and relocate features--and I'm sure they are--they should make them easy to find. Search belongs on the top every page, or else it's usefulness is reduced to a third.

I hope I didnt' offend. I think this is really sad. Many parts of Maxthon have been brilliant, ground-breaking. But its lack of simplicity and consistency grind the brilliant underfoot,.

Ron White

uppereright.png

9 hours ago, MaxthonGuy said:

And yes, Maxthon, under an different name was  aobut in 1990 or there abouts.

You must be thinking of something else.

1. according to this timeline the very first web browser was released in 1990. (And it wasn't MX or any iteration of it.)

2. MyIE was released in 1999, as a wrapper for the IE core.

I hope I didnt' offend.

Not offended at all. Just curious as to why/what people do to end up with situations like things disappearing etc.

But I shouldn't have had to.  If the developers are going to change and relocate features--and I'm sure they are--they should make them easy to find.

You shouldn't have, but something has caused it to "disappear" which means you may have to. As i said above, it's there by default, so if it's no longer there, something has changed or been reset.

If it shows under search in settings, then make sure it's enable to show on the toolbar.

Archived