Where Is My Favorites Folder?

I'm using Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000.  I have previously never had any trouble finding my Favorites folder in Windows XP in various computers on which I have installed Maxthon Cloud ... not even in the portable version.

Up to now, these have been the typical locations:

Windows XP Installer version:  
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Maxthon3\Users\guest\Favorite
C:\Documents and Settings\xp client\Application Data\Maxthon3\Users\guest\Favorite

Alternative:  C:\Users\[USER_ACCOUNT]\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\UserData\Users\guest\Favorite

Windows XP Portable install:  
F:\PortableApps\MaxthonPortable\Data\Users\guest\Favorite

Alternative:  [installed folder]\UserData\Users\guest\Favorite

A couple of days ago I was given an HP Pavilion a1620n desktop with Windows XP Media Center Edition.  I had never heard of this "Media Center Edition" before.  Well, in this unfamilar Media Center Edition I am having trouble finding the location to install my Favorite folder with my bookmarks.  I just can't find anything resembling the typical locations that I've seen before.

In my Documents and Settings folder I have --- All Users ... Administrator ... HP_Administrator ...  HP_Administrator.(My Computer Name)  Neither of those 4 folders remotely have anything like an Application Data folder or anything with a path that will remotely lead to where the typical Favorite folder normally resides.  The closest I could find was going into Program Files\Maxthon\_AppData\Maxthon3\Public\Favorite  I thought that would have definitely been the ticket, but no.  When I replace that Favorite folder with mine, there is no change.  The Maxthon Cloud default bookmarks still display.

Anyone have any insight into how I can find the real Favorite folder's location in this weird Media Center Edition of Windows XP?  It's like before, once I found "Maxthon3" and / or "\Users\guest\" I was home free.  But, not this time.  Help.

I could be wrong, but ... with that "Guest Account Sign-In," aren't you talking in terms of Maxthon 5?  I'm using Maxthon 4.9.4.2000.

Ohhh, or maybe you're referring to that Alternative path that I mentioned there in the Windows XP Installer version category.  Actually, that one I probably have NOT used.  If my memory serves me correctly ... it MIGHT have been the member 7Twenty here on these forums that suggested that as a possibility when I inquired about this in the past.  The first 2 paths though, I HAVE used those on different computers.

1 hour ago, Chim said:

aren't you talking in terms of Maxthon 5?  I'm using Maxthon 4.9.4.2000.

4.9.4 had guest as well. It just wasn't as evident. If you don't sign in then you're using guest.

As to your other question, there are only two places MX saves data depending on the version used:
Installer - %appdata%\Maxthon5\users (or %appdata%\Maxthon3\users for MX3/4)
Portable - Maxthon install folder \userdata\users

Then in that folder their will be:
[user_account] if you use a passport account.

The MCE of Wxp isn't anything different to the normal version. According to Wikipedia it was just the first version to include Windows Media Centre. Nothing else about the OS changed. So your issue is more that you may have multiple MX installs and/or accounts on this PC which you can't seem to determine is the correct one.

I'd move all the userdata folders you know of to a safe place. Start MX again and check all the paths above again to see where the new Userdata folder is created. Then you can either copy back that data, or other data to that newly found folder.

Or even better just don't use install versions. Extract portable and use that. You'll always know where your data is :D 

5 hours ago, Chim said:

Alternative:  C:\Users\[USER_ACCOUNT]\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\UserData\Users\guest\Favorite

I'm pretty sure this is only for Windows Vista and higher. Previous versions didn't have a c:\Users folder.

Oooooooo!  I have solved the mystery.  MAN, I feel foolish now.  I was done in by the ole --- Hidden Folders bit. :Grinmacing_Face_Emoji_42x42:

I HAD thought since the get go about the possibility of there being hidden folders.  But, at that time I was convinced that the option / setting for that had to be available there within the folders via a Right Click.  When I didn't see that option via a Right Click, I sort of got away from that possibility.

Then I got an idea.  I decided to use the powerful, thorough Search utility of Glary Utilities to find what ALL instances of "Maxthon" there were in my C:Drive.  Lo & behold --- Whoa!  Heyyy!  I immediately saw some paths that I had definitely not seen with the naked eye.  That immediately confirmed without a doubt that there WERE hidden folders.  I quickly Googled how to show hidden folders and saw how the option for changing the Hidden Folders attribute was in the Control Panel and not over inside the folders themselves.  So, BAMM!  I immediately saw the formerly invisible Application Data folder and was home free after that.  Problem solved.

Oh and yes, I did have a Windows Vista desktop computer like 4 computers ago, 7Twenty.  So that certain path that you mentioned is only for Vista and higher ... now makes sense as to why I had it in my info doc regarding possible paths for the Favorites folder location.

Thanks for the insight, guys! 

Archived