This site causes crash on maxthon everytime

3 hours ago, PHYR said:

Not only did it cause a crash, I am no longer able to recover M5, it crashes immediately when I try to run it. I had to reinstall completely.

I did not have that problem, I was able to recover right away.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

19 minutes ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

I did not have that problem, I was able to recover right away.

Uhm, OK, I believe you, I leave it to someone else to try:Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:

Edit : Just out of curiosity, do you sign in using "Last Session"?

13 hours ago, CorbanWolf said:

Hey. I'm using the latest version of Maxthon. This site causes crash on maxthon:

www.ilewazy.pl/

I confirm it.

crash3.gif

But the problem is deeper because Maxthon closes even when typing the url

crash.gif

crash1.gif

and leaves open the maxthon.exe process.

I did a stupid mistake and thought that my Mx5 would be better than everyone else's. I was so wrong :D

I think it might have to do something with either the site icon or the title of the page (special Polish symbols?), because after it crashes the browser, you cannot open History without Mx crashing, and in History, IIRC, only date, title, icon and address are stored.

EDIT: OK, it appears that getting the favicon.ico that's causing the crash and not the title. The code used to call it appears to be the same as on other websites, so there must be something different about the file/location itself that Mx can't understand.

51 minutes ago, Artee said:

I did a stupid mistake and thought that my Mx5 would be better than everyone else's. I was so wrong :D

I think it might have to do something with either the site icon or the title of the page (special Polish symbols?), because after it crashes the browser, you cannot open History without Mx crashing, and in History, IIRC, only date, title, icon and address are stored.

EDIT: OK, it appears that getting the favicon.ico that's causing the crash and not the title. The code used to call it appears to be the same as on other websites, so there must be something different about the file/location itself that Mx can't understand.

Interesting, although that would not explain why I was no longer able to Maxthon at all until I reinstalled completely. I had set "Last Session" page to open on start which also seems to make M5 crash if it has that site in the list of visited sites. Uhm, but I hadn't check if M5 still had a process running in the background that hadn't closed properly which could also have caused the crash. So your theory is quite possible.

18 minutes ago, PHYR said:

Interesting, although that would not explain why I was no longer able to Maxthon at all until I reinstalled completely. I had set "Last Session" page to open on start which also seems to make M5 crash if it has that site in the list of visited sites. Uhm, but I hadn't check if M5 still had a process running in the background that hadn't closed properly which could also have caused the crash. So your theory is quite possible.

The site was added to your history (and also "Last Session") so every time you started Mx, it would try to get the icon to show in your "Last Session" and as a result would crash (if it's indeed the icon, I'm no expert here, but to me it looks like the icon file is PNG, but is named as ICO, maybe that causes an issue?). Manually removing history files from AppData allows continuing normal use (but you lose about a week's worth of browsing history). It looks to me like the history is not synced daily, but rather ~monthly (my last sync was on the 15th). Reinstalling removed all the recent history, leaving only the stuff you had on last sync (which did not include this Polish website).

EDIT: A "safer" (but still annoying) workaround AFTER trying to open this website is to delete the entire cache of site icons (AppData/Roaming/Maxthon5/Public/SiteIcon). This will allow accessing history again, but you will lose all your saved icons.

2 hours ago, Artee said:

EDIT: OK, it appears that getting the favicon.ico that's causing the crash and not the title.

EDIT: A "safer" (but still annoying) workaround AFTER trying to open this website is to delete the entire cache of site icons (AppData/Roaming/Maxthon5/Public/SiteIcon). This will allow accessing history again, but you will lose all your saved icons.

Nice pickup. Losing icons isn't an issue, just update them again using the menu option in maxnote.

And another great reason to use a portable test install for things like this. If it breaks something delete and start again.

Archived