All extensions have disappeared (MX 5.1)

6 hours ago, BRIZ-ing said:

Use 5.0.1 -> Upd to 5.1 => Close MX => Open MX => Error.

From what you have posted , it would appear that you installed 5.1.0.1400 into the same folder and over an installation of 5.0.X. Why would you do that, if that is what you did? MX 5.1.0.1400 is a beta and should not be installed over any other existing version as this is a new series of this browser, not an "update" of previous versions, and this release , as stated, is a beta which is for testing purposes. That may be the cause of your issue. When it is installed as a new program, if you have a passport account and log into it, the browser will automatically sync everything that has been synced to your account (Menu>Settings>Privacy and Content>Auto Sync and check what you want synced). Not sure if this is what you did or if you have a passport account but hope it helps you out.

I understand that version 5.1 is unstable.
In version 5.0, everything is fine (the applications have returned).

Let's resume talk about version 5.1. I just downloaded the beta version of the browser and installed it. After that, an error occurred.
The error arose not only from me.
Hopefully this will help you make version 5.1 stabled.

2 hours ago, BRIZ-ing said:

I understand that version 5.1 is unstable.
In version 5.0, everything is fine (the applications have returned).

Let's resume talk about version 5.1. I just downloaded the beta version of the browser and installed it. After that, an error occurred.
The error arose not only from me.
Hopefully this will help you make version 5.1 stabled.

Who said anything about "unstable"? Beta is not equal to "unstable" but rather is a work in progress and some things might not work as intended (none so far for me).

Where and how did you install the beta version? And what error occurred that is not only for you? And are you using a passport account or a guest account?

I just installed the new beta (5.1.0.1400) in a folder named Maxthon5.1.x. ( My installation of Maxthon 5.0.4.3000 is still installed and it's in a folder named Maxthon504 and is still usable as before. If you click on Advanced in the install dialog window, you can choose to install it anywhere you like and name the folder anything that you choose. If you don't do that, it will install in the same place as the your last installation, just in case you weren't aware of this). I started the beta, logged in, and everything began auto synchronizing and after a short time, all of my Bookmarks or Favorites, my Passkeeper entries, my previous extensions and my settings were as they were in 5.0.4.3000. The only thing that I had re-do was to re-add the external tools that I had added previously as they do not come over in a sync. And the browser works just fine and has not proven to be unstable for me in any way.

Since I don't know just what you are doing as far as installation or logging in, I can only offer what has worked for me over the 13 years I have been using this browser and participating in this forum. I don't have all of the answers but what you are reporting has never happened to me, so all I can say is that I tried. Sorry if this doesn't help you.

6 hours ago, rick.lane said:

Who said anything about "unstable"? Beta is not equal to "unstable" but rather is a work in progress and some things might not work as intended (none so far for me).

I tried using version 5.1. I saw in the browser at least one nasty mistake (http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/22205-docked-htm5-player-mx-51/). So I figured this version behaves unpredictably = this version is unstable.

6 hours ago, rick.lane said:

Where and how did you install the beta version?

I installed the browser in the same folder where the browser 5.0 was. I want to clarify something: maybe my act is stupid, but this is the standard behavior of users. If installing version 5.1 in a folder with version 5.0 leads to an error, this needs to be fixed :)

7 hours ago, rick.lane said:

And what error occurred that is not only for you? And are you using a passport account or a guest account?

@Mario.NET - also received such a mistake.

22 hours ago, Mario.NET said:

Same here, starting from second launch of Maxthon 5.1 (using a guest account)

1 hour ago, BRIZ-ing said:

I tried using version 5.1. I saw in the browser at least one nasty mistake (http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/22205-docked-htm5-player-mx-51/). So I figured this version behaves unpredictably = this version is unstable.

I installed the browser in the same folder where the browser 5.0 was. I want to clarify something: maybe my act is stupid, but this is the standard behavior of users. If installing version 5.1 in a folder with version 5.0 leads to an error, this needs to be fixed :)

@Mario.NET - also received such a mistake.

A clean install would probably have fixed your errors. You are dealing with a completely new core and it has been being tested for weeks so not all bugs could have been found and fixed. But even as is, it is probably better and more stable than version M5.0.

By the way, I wouldn't call the re-positioning of a popup a nasty bug, certainly not one that would force me to use an older and less stable version.

First check after an issue like that would be to reinstall. If it still happens, then you can delve deeper into why/what etc. Most time the reinstall will address the problem.

Doing an update via the maxthon installer should work correctly. There shouldn't be any need to ensure the previous version is removed or otherwise. Also with userdata, the same should occur. On occasion everything may not go smoothly, but as above most issues should be fixed with a reinstall.

I continually copy over userdata from one release to the next using the guest profile and rarely have had any major issues to recall. So while I won't say that it a clean install/wipe userdata is not required, it's probably the best option to ensure less issues despite my usage showing otherwise. How sync affects things is another matter as well.

As for the missing extensions, you could just look in the MX install folder to check if the extension files are there. If so, then MX is having an issue reading them. Re-install should fix it. If not, then they're not downloaded for some reason. Again, reinstall should fix it.

Archived