New QA background - changing background doesn't save

Hi!

I changed the new animated background, but after restart MX5, animated clouds returns!

I try to change background on 4 PC's and on everyone of them, after reopen MX5, clouds returns.

Please, help me to change the background!

Thank you in advance!

8 hours ago, Jus5631410 said:

For those among us who use the portable version, how can they make a clean installation to sole this problem?

delete the userdata folder. You will lose ALL your data.

If you're signing in with a passport it will sync again when you sign in.

• 7twenty changed the title to New QA background - changing background doesn't save
22 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi all, for who has the issue of background cannot be saved,

Please check that if you have ticked both of this two options? If yes, untick the upper one and try again.

QQ图片20170525182757.png

Update:

this issue has been fixed today, and even if you clear other website-related data, your background for QA won't change.

21 hours ago, Temüdschin said:

neither "hot" nor "screenshot" picture are shown. sometimes when i click "edit" maxthon dont open properties from link and goes back to QA.

Are they neither shown nor clickable? Or, just not shown but can click?

BTW, are you using a night mode script?

Are they neither shown nor clickable? Or, just not shown but can click?

not shown but i can click.

BTW, are you using a night mode script?

no.

adding new link works - but only "old" links from previous versions dont show - but not all.

edit: only links with "hot" icons dont work.

when i change to "screenshot" icon will be changed - but i can not change back to "hot" icon because greyed out.

pc-newtab.maxthon.com_20170526191505.pngpc-newtab.maxthon.com_20170526190526.png

13 hours ago, Temüdschin said:

edit: only links with "hot" icons dont work.

when i change to "screenshot" icon will be changed - but i can not change back to "hot" icon because greyed out.

That may be related to that we changed the hot icon repository, so some have changed, and some deleted. 

On 26/5/2017 at 6:11 AM, Viryu said:

It wasn't fixed, the issue still persists for me. Custom background keeps being cleared everytime I exit the browser

Says that something isn't saving properly.

Test with a portable version using the guest account and see if the same happens. Then login with passport and test again.

Let us know what happens.

8 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Says that something isn't saving properly.

Test with a portable version using the guest account and see if the same happens. Then login with passport and test again.

Let us know what happens.

It doesn't reset if I log out and use the browser as a guest.

4 hours ago, Viryu said:

It doesn't reset if I log out and use the browser as a guest.

So we know it's your profile settings.

Now just trying to find where the data is saved.. and that is being a little more difficult than what i imagined.

EDIT:

So the bg that's set is saved in \UserData\Users\[userprofile]\QuickAccess\QaConfig.dat.

The problem is that doing anything to that file will also remove any sites/tiles added to QA. So you can try deleting the file hoping that it will fix the problem, but you'll have to set things up again.

And being that it gets sync'd, deleting it may not matter, as it will just get restored from the cloud anyway.

You can always test the above by keeping a copy of the original file, then restore it if things don't turn out the way you expect.

That said, unless you don't mind playing around with things like this, it's best to leave things for the time being and hopefully a fix will be pushed by the devs and it will be resolved.

Has anyone tried adding extra/deleting sites to the page at the same time as changing the bg? Maybe that's enough to "fix" the file so it stores the bg change properly?

3 hours ago, 7twenty said:

So we know it's your profile settings.

Now just trying to find where the data is saved.. and that is being a little more difficult than what i imagined.

EDIT:

So the bg that's set is saved in \UserData\Users\[userprofile]\QuickAccess\QaConfig.dat.

The problem is that doing anything to that file will also remove any sites/tiles added to QA. So you can try deleting the file hoping that it will fix the problem, but you'll have to set things up again.

And being that it gets sync'd, deleting it may not matter, as it will just get restored from the cloud anyway.

You can always test the above by keeping a copy of the original file, then restore it if things don't turn out the way you expect.

That said, unless you don't mind playing around with things like this, it's best to leave things for the time being and hopefully a fix will be pushed by the devs and it will be resolved.

Has anyone tried adding extra/deleting sites to the page at the same time as changing the bg? Maybe that's enough to "fix" the file so it stores the bg change properly?

Deleting the file didn't help. The shortcuts were synched back succesfully, but the background shifted back to those ultra low-res clouds and stays that way. Changing background either to one of the other default ones, or custom background doesn't fix it. Amusingly enough, my custom background is still in that folder, yet it's being forgotten every time the browser is closed. Adding sites to QA doesn't fix it either. Please, just bring back MX4's QA, at least it didn't had any bugs unlike this bug ridden version. I'm talking to you Last Tab Visited.

3 hours ago, Viryu said:

Deleting the file didn't help. The shortcuts were synched back succesfully

Well i did say that would be the case if using a passport

3 hours ago, Viryu said:

but the background shifted back to those ultra low-res clouds and stays that way.

because the file was restored from the cloud.

Now to look into option B.

10 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Well i did say that would be the case if using a passport

because the file was restored from the cloud.

Now to look into option B.

I'm kinda confused. Passport? Option B? What should I do >.<

9 hours ago, Viryu said:

I'm kinda confused. Passport? Option B? What should I do >.<

Passport, as in your profile login that is saved to the cloud.

Option b is an idea I have, but I don't know if it will work, or if it will be viable for most users to do. Will see what happens and will post if I come up with anything.

10 hours ago, Temüdschin said:

add custom icons/pictures for links in QA.

That will be in our future development plan.

10 hours ago, Temüdschin said:

1st row: 3 different links starting with same letter.

Currently, you can use screenshot rather than color blocks to solve it. Or you can move them downwards so when mouse hovering over it, the title will show to help you differentiate.

So, can we get back to the original problem posted here: customized QA page background is still not sticking upon restarting the browser, any version that uses the new QA. Some report that it reverts to the new animated GIF  choice, but for me it just goes back to another non-animated older background choice. I realize that the QA page is under rebuilding (at least I hope it is still under construction) and that these issues are a result of that updating; I just hope that it isn't considered "done" at this time and that all of the features that it previously had in this new version will be implemented before it is completed.

I have discovered that my custom background indeed does stick on my Windows 7 machine and on my Windows 10 tablet. However, it still reverts back to a standard background on my Windows 10 desktop, each machine using Maxthon v.5.0.4.3000. Not sure what that indicates but thought I'd add it to the info.

Archived