Closing a tab takes you back to New Tab

MX5 5.0.4.800

I've just switched to MX5 from MX4 and something very awkward is happening. I have it set that when closing a tab it takes you to last active tab. In MX4 it worked great. If I'd opened several tabs, after closing one it would take me to another that was just opened. In MX5 when closing one tab, it takes me to a new tab with Quick Access (or however it is called in English) instead of the next opened tab. It's as if the Quick Access panel was tagged like a tab this time around. It's annoying, since you can't simply go from one news to another with having to backtrack between new tab and opened tabs.

I've made a video of how it works, maybe that will help?

PS. As you can see, my quick access is kinda ugly, especially compared to how MX4 allowed for more customization. Is it possible to enlarge the boxes and remove that strange bar on top?

On 5/12/2017 at 6:55 AM, Viryu said:

MX5 5.0.4.800

I've just switched to MX5 from MX4 and something very awkward is happening. I have it set that when closing a tab it takes you to last active tab. In MX4 it worked great. If I'd opened several tabs, after closing one it would take me to another that was just opened. In MX5 when closing one tab, it takes me to a new tab with Quick Access (or however it is called in English) instead of the next opened tab. It's as if the Quick Access panel was tagged like a tab this time around. It's annoying, since you can't simply go from one news to another with having to backtrack between new tab and opened tabs.

So what happens when you've actually visited a previous tab??????????????? Dude, are you serious.....

BTW, the new QA is actually far more configurable than that of M4, limitless new tiles, adjustable zoom via browser zoom, folders, background etc.

10 minutes ago, PHYR said:

So what happens when you've actually visited a previous tab??????????????? Dude, are you serious.....

BTW, the new QA is actually far more configurable than that of M4, limitless new tiles, adjustable zoom via browser zoom, folders, background etc.

Huh? I'm quite serious. In MX4 if no tab was visited, it would switch to the first new tab, and not the quick access. In MX5, with same configuration in settings, it takes you to quick access, making it an extra fuss (click) to visit a desired new tab. It's as if the Quick Access was tagged as a tab in MX5, which is kinda annoying. This might be further proved, that now, even if I visited a tab in MX5, but go to quick access tab and open a new page/site from there, if I close it, it will return to the quick access, and not the previous tab. If you want, I could reinstall MX4 and upload a video of how it works there. Major difference in fluidity of browsing several news articles.

1 hour ago, Viryu said:

It's as if the Quick Access was tagged as a tab in MX5, 

That's because it IS a tab. If you open a page using a QA tile, and then close that tab, it will go back to the "last visited tab" which is the QA tab, provided that that is the choice you have made in Settings. Don't close that tab and go to another open tab, and QA won't be the "last visited tab". Sorry, but since the QA page is now online, this is how works it now.

And I guess you haven't looked into customizing the new QA page as it is very customizable and can be made to look a whole more useful and eye pleasing than what you have shown us. You can put your most used in the row of 7 at the top of the page and others are groupable by what ever topic you choose to group by simple dragging and dropping. Each tile is editable to display pretty much whatever you want it to display, plus you can use just about any background you choose.

Here is an example of one of my customizations: 

Bronze MX5 QA Desktop.jpg

So if QA is tagged as a tab now, how to I untag it so it would work like in MX4? I can't find it in the options. Going all the time to QA instead of the next tab feels counterintuitive and an extra immersion breaking chore.

@rick.lane How did you remove the search bar on your QA screenshot? Would it give some extra space?

@PHYR I tried the zoom thing to enlarge the QA and was happy at start, but when I restarted MX, the boxes are small again QQ

1 hour ago, Viryu said:

So if QA is tagged as a tab now, how to I untag it so it would work like in MX4? I can't find it in the options. Going all the time to QA instead of the next tab feels counterintuitive and an extra immersion breaking chore.

@rick.lane How did you remove the search bar on your QA screenshot? Would it give some extra space?

MX5 is not an update of MX4; it is a new browser. I don't think that you can make it act "just like in MX4". There is no option to do what you are asking. But it doesn't "Go all the time to QA"; only if the QA page is the last tab you were on.

The screenshot I posted is of my customized QA page in conjunction with one of Wilser's skins that moves the tab bar below the address bar and moves the search bar/address bar up to the top bar. You can find the skin files and explanation in his thread @ http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/21813-customizable-skins-for-mx5-5032000-4000/

19 hours ago, Viryu said:

I've made a video of how it works, maybe that will help?

Definitely shows what the problem is, but i'm not getting the same. If i go to the MX forum and open pages, then when I close them it goes the last tab in focus. At no point does it go to the QA tab unless I actually clicked on it to make it the last tab.

Tried changing a number of options related to opening tabs (to the right of current/all, new tab actions etc) none reproduced the same issue. Opening tabs from the QA page also doesn't return to the QA page.

On 15/5/2017 at 2:17 PM, -ody- said:

try another setting then revert to the previous one ?.

Did you try this? Failing that, a reinstall.

What you're getting is not normal behaviour for that setting.

3 hours ago, 7twenty said:

I tried changing the option, as well as doing a fresh install. It didn't help. Judging from the reactions of other people thinking my situation is normal, others might also have this bug.

I watched your video again, at 0:14, you opened a forum tab and closed settings tab, and then you opened several tabs from the forum without activating them. Thus technically speaking, the new tab is the tab you "last visited". If you click the either one of the tab you opened, that one will be the one to pop up after you close the forum tab.

To all the people that keep saying it's normal, here, have a video of MX4. Same settings, works perfectly as it should. I've reinstalled MX4 and made the video so every second post would stop saying that stuff.

Also, here's further proof MX5 is bugged. Go to the Last Tab is still active in the settings. Yet, even when I've already had an active tab, if I pick a new page from QA, it will take me back to QA instead of last visited tab. This is not how it correctly works in MX4, it just currently doesn't work at all.

50 minutes ago, Viryu said:

here, have a video of MX4.

Hi Viryu, hope you understand that MX5 is a brand new product which is different from Mx4. The new tab in Maxthon5 is a tab, which has been assigned different attribute from that with MX4.

As for the second video, after you opened "YouTube", you clicked "New tab", so technically speaking "new tab" is the last visited tab after you close YouTube. 

I understand that you just transferred from MX4 to MX5, there are many differences between these two Maxthon products. We really appreciate that you even reinstall MX4 to explain this to us, it takes time to get familiar with a new browser, but we have the confidence that you will love it and get used to it.

On 16.05.2017 at 7:29 AM, 7twenty said:

Definitely shows what the problem is, but i'm not getting the same. If i go to the MX forum and open pages, then when I close them it goes the last tab in focus. At no point does it go to the QA tab unless I actually clicked on it to make it the last tab.

Tried changing a number of options related to opening tabs (to the right of current/all, new tab actions etc) none reproduced the same issue. Opening tabs from the QA page also doesn't return to the QA page.

Could you pass on my request from the earlier post to people who could make it please?

On 5/28/2017 at 0:12 AM, Viryu said:

Could you pass on my request from the earlier post to people who could make it please?

As I understand that what you want is to change the attribute of the new tab (quick access tab)? I can forward your request to our product team, while I doubt they will make any change due to this single thread. :(

2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

As I understand that what you want is to change the attribute of the new tab (quick access tab)? I can forward your request to our product team, while I doubt they will make any change due to this single thread. :(

To be fair, there were more threads for this issue. For example, just check one of the recent posts here, there was a link to a thread about the same issue from earlier this month. It may not be as popular issue as the rest of bugs in QA, but still it exists. It can simply be an option though, like in the options whether you want Last Tab Visited to Work, or if you want QA to take priority over all settings. It doesn't have to be strictly one setting forced on everyone, like now.

Archived