Auto-focus new tab after 'Open link in new tab'

I'm using MX5 5.0.3.4000, although I was having this issue on MX4.9 also.

Basically I cannot get newly opened tabs to auto-focus automatically. By newly opened I mean those that I open by right-clicking on a link on some website and selecting "Open link in new tab". When I do that, a new tab will open, but it will not get focused automatically. I will have to manually click on it to see its contents.

I have the "Open a new tab in the foreground" checked in MX5 settings, but that option only works for new tabs that are opened automatically when you click on a link with the left mouse button (and the site's link is explicitly designed to open a new tab when clicked).

So is there a way to automatially focus tabs that you open with the "Open link in new tab" command ?

10 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Long time issue.

Why it is an issue? I think they are just two different options. If you like it open and focused in the mean time, use left click; if you want it open while not focused, just click "open in the new tab" or click middle wheel. 

So original poster, I really want to know why you don't want this option? And I guess you are using more than one browsers and the same click doesn't perform the same?

2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Why it is an issue?

It's probably not really. Just that some people that see that option read it as Perplexer has, that it opens links in a new tab, and in focus which is never implied.

I think part of it also stems from the days of MX2. There used to be an option that when enabled would do just that. So users are expecting that same outcome.

6 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Why it is an issue? I think they are just two different options. If you like it open and focused in the mean time, use left click; if you want it open while not focused, just click "open in the new tab" or click middle wheel. 

So original poster, I really want to know why you don't want this option? And I guess you are using more than one browsers and the same click doesn't perform the same?

There is the option to focus or not-focus new tabs when the web page automatically opens them after left-click on a link. You can ENABLE or DISABLE this option.

So why is there not the same ENABLE or DISABLE option for opening new tabs with right-click "Open link in new tab" ? That's all I'm asking.

Sometimes if I am writing a forum post and I want to open a link on this page, I must open it in a new tab so that I don't lose the text that I am typing. So I click "Open in new tab", and the tab does not auto-focus after opening, so I must manually click on it. It's one extra unnecessary click. There should be an option in Settings to enable "auto-focus after Open link in new tab", just like there is an option to enable auto-focus for other "new tab" action.

It's something that's bothering me. I wouldn't take the time to post about it otherwise. Without the option to adjust it to my preference it becomes annoying.

1 hour ago, Perplexer said:

It's something that's bothering me. I wouldn't take the time to post about it otherwise. Without the option to adjust it to my preference it becomes annoying.

Shift+Left Click opens the new tab with focus.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

10 hours ago, Perplexer said:

Sometimes if I am writing a forum post and I want to open a link on this page, I must open it in a new tab so that I don't lose the text that I am typing. So I click "Open in new tab", and the tab does not auto-focus after opening, so I must manually click on it. It's one extra unnecessary click. There should be an option in Settings to enable "auto-focus after Open link in new tab", just like there is an option to enable auto-focus for other "new tab" action.

Really thanks for this information, and I understand now. Also, thank you 7twenty for telling some history of MX2.

Maybe you can try what No1MaxthonFan suggested above.

And one more thing I also think it's related to the attribute of the link, some links are assigned to "open a new tab", so for this kind of links, when you left click it, it will open a new tab and focus. And for those assigned to "redirect", you will get redirected to the page and may lose what you've typed on the same page. 

So it may also be an issue on the link attribute which as a browser cannot control. 

Archived