Allow duplicate bookmarks

Since Mx 5.03 it is no longer possible to add a bookmark if it already exists. This is not an improvement.
I use bookmark folders to open a set of favorites at once ("open all records").
It is now impossible to add an existing bookmark to a new folder. 

When adding an already existing one, there is the option to "edit". But this only edits the existing bm.

Even in MaxNotes you can move a bookmark, but only duplicate the URL.

I think it's great that Mx recognizes that a bookmark already exists, to prevent clutter. But really, it should still allow me to add a duplicate bookmark.
I'm sure there are workarounds, but this should just be straightforward.

Please improve this feature soon.

Related: When selecting "Open All Records", from rightclick on a favorites folder, it should NOT also open the subfolders, or make it optional.
That way, we could have our most favorites in a topfolder and the less-favorites in subfolders that won't open on "open all records"....

Thanks and kind regards,
Alex

Hi Alex, I don't know how do you perform the favorite action, but for me, I like to drag the link to the folder I'd like it's been added in.

And I just tried with v5.0.4.4000. There is no problem for to drag the same site (in this case YouTube) to three of my favorite folders successfully, 

So maybe you could try the "drag"?

Hi BugSir,

How've you been? Quick to respond as usual ;-)

Dragging a bookmark from within a favorite folder to another folder MOVES the Bookmark there. I want it duplicated.
This might be made possible through the CTRL key. In windows, when dragging a file to another location (on the same drive), it moves this file by default.
Holding down the CTRL key while dragging, a little plus-sign (+) is visible, showing that you're copying. Perhaps this could be added in Mx too.

The way I usually add Bookmarks, is by rightclicking a page and selecting "Add To MaxNote" (or CTRL-D)
If the BM already exists, a dialog appears with very few options (screenshot). 

This dialog has changed in 5.03.4 from the 5.02 version. I'd suggest changing this dialog a little further, so that not everything is greyed-out, and the user can choose their own options.
I think very few people would object to this type of solution.

Again, I think it is great that Mx is helping the user to keep their favorites tidy, by preventing duplicates, perhaps it's friendlier to just warn them and then let them choose.

Thanks.

addduplicatebookmark.jpg

At this point, the only way I've found to actually create a duplicate bookmark, is to use the "Add all pages to Maxnote" from the context menu of a tab-header.
This will create a new folder with all the opened tabs as bookmarks. From this new folder, you can then move the bookmarks to the intended folder.

This is quite an elaborate workaround... It should be a lot easier.

Nice one. Still, a bit tricky. I would not even have thought of doing it this way. Nice Gif too.

Now I have two workaround ways to get the results I want. So I'd be happy to let this issue go.
But I seriously think offering the choice to users through default dialogs would be much preferred. 
I'll leave it up to you guys.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, LXR71 said:

But I seriously think offering the choice to users through default dialogs would be much preferred. 

We also think your advice is a good one, we should consider users who would have this kind of need.

At the beginning, we make it auto delete the duplicated ones because our PM thought that it may help sort bookmarks for old MX4 users when they import for the first time, thus make it lighter and faster.

While we indeed should take into account that some others also may need the same bookmark in different folders. I'll forward your advice to our PM and let him decide.

Thank you again LXR71!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2017 at 4:15 PM, LXR71 said:

Hi, It's a few versions later and still we can't add duplicate bookmarks via standard dialog.
Was the suggestion rejected?

Not really, but still under discussion. They are more busy at fixing then developing new features. I'll update once there's any news from the product team.

And you can use the alternative method now :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:

On 5/2/2017 at 3:18 AM, BugSir006 said:

Hi Alex, I don't know how do you perform the favorite action, but for me, I like to drag the link to the folder I'd like it's been added in.

And I just tried with v5.0.4.4000. There is no problem for to drag the same site (in this case YouTube) to three of my favorite folders successfully, 

So maybe you could try the "drag"?

I just D/L version 5.0.4.3000....where is 4000 (unless it is beta).  I'm having a problem attempting to add a URL into QA page.  How do you do  that?

6 hours ago, nevergetany said:

Well I don't have it now.  Discovered that by left clicking mouse whlie on tab, there was a "add to Quick Acess" and it puts it into the listings.

It's by right clicking >send to > QA

I have no issues using an internal build.

Archived