The size of MX5 toolbar icons

A.S.

A few days ago I installed MX5 to check how my extensions wokr there (some users wrote that they have problems). 

And I want to ask:
What icon size is used in MX5 toolbar?

Old versions of Maxthon used:

• icon_16.png for toolbar
  • icon_32.png for sidebar and extensions page
  • icon_48.png for Extensions Center

I used 16x16 image for toolbar, but in MX5 it looks... a... as s it's blurry, stretched... I think the real size is about 24x24.
And what about old versions? If I use bigger size, how will it look in MX4 for example?

What do you think?
Did you see something about this in new SDK? Is here new SDK?
Or did you liik inside build-in extensions?

UPD:

OK. Let's talk about this minor change... 

This is icon_16 = 16p. In MX5 it looks awful! 

mWBJCPlpYOc.jpg

So I could change icon_16 size from 16p to 20p, And it will look OK:

_PfjAIVuocw.jpg

But this is MX5. How many users already moved to MX5? Many old users will use MX4.9 until the end of time!
Look how icon_16 = 20p will look in old MX4:

_A-N8xqIhAM.jpg

Not so bad? But look how it have to look (with icon_16 = 16p):

vwzHiQEoy9I.jpg

I really hate MX at such moments!
You took something that worked and broke it! And we can not fix it, because if we make well-defined icons for MX5, it will be blurred for MX4. But well-defined icons for MX4 anyway will be blurred in MX5. You did it! With no reason! Just because you made bigger UI in MX5. Great! Did we really need it?!

What we have to do? Just wait when you do something? Maybe you can solve the issue as you did when add toolbar in MX4 for example. Or you never will do something and we have to change icon_16 size to 20p? Do you remember how many addons are these? I will not do it! I spent two days on simple expansion and minor updates! Because of toolbar icons only! Why? For what?

Edited by A.S.
screenshots

1 hour ago, A.S. said:

A few days ago I installed MX5 to check how my extensions wokr there (some users wrote that they have problems). 

And I want to ask:
What icon size is used in MX5 toolbar?

Old versions of Maxthon used:

• icon_16.png for toolbar
  • icon_32.png for sidebar and extensions page 15
  • icon_48.png for Extensions Center

I used 16x16 image for toolbar, but in MX5 it looks... a... as s it's blurry, stretched... I think the real size is about 24x24.
And what about old versions? If I use bigger size, how will it look in MX4 for example?

What do you think?
Did you see something about this in new SDK? Is here new SDK?
Or did you liik inside build-in extensions?

In my  teesting, the siize is 20 x 20 on the toolbar (navbar).  The icons on the tabs a rre 16 x 16.  I haven''t checked the statusbar,  but I recall then were also 15 x 16.  I just checked; while the icon size is specified 20x20, the png size is 16x16.  If they were converted to svg icons I wouldn't expect any bluring.

<<SLl>>

20 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

In my  teesting, the siize is 20 x 20 on the toolbar (navbar).  

Very bad idea. Build-in extensions and tools look cool, third-party extensions look like soap. I don't see any reason to do this. Because now I have to change icon_16 in so many extensions... Nope.

If they did change the sizing an updated SDK would be nice so dev's can update their extensions accordingly.

Also if it is a size change, then i'd hope it would auto-detect the correct size if the 20px image is in addition to the others. At least that way it will look correct whether a user is still on an older version or MX5.

11 hours ago, 7twenty said:

If they did change the sizing an updated SDK would be nice so dev's can update their extensions accordingly.

Also if it is a size change, then i'd hope it would auto-detect the correct size if the 20px image is in addition to the others. At least that way it will look correct whether a user is still on an older version or MX5.

I have to apologize for misleading on the sizing.  I forgot to include the units.  The size is 20dipx20dip, dip  not px.  That doesn't invalidate anything you said,

<<SL>>

t invalidate

You took something that worked fine and broke it! Again! And we can not fix it, because if we make well-defined icons for MX5, it will be blurred for MX4. But well-defined icons for MX4 anyway will be blurred in MX5. You did it! With no reason! Just because you made bigger UI in MX5. Great! Did we really need it?!

What we have to do? Just wait when you do something? Maybe you can solve the issue as you did when add toolbar in MX4 for example. Or you will never do something and we have to change icon_16 size to 20p? Do you remember how many addons are these? I will not do it! I spent two days on simple expansion and minor updates! Because of toolbar icons only! Why? For what?

26 minutes ago, A.S. said:

You took something that worked fine and broke it! Again! And we can not fix it, because if we make well-defined icons for MX5, it will be blurred for MX4. But well-defined icons for MX4 anyway will be blurred in MX5. You did it! With no reason! Just because you made bigger UI in MX5. Great! Did we really need it?!

What we have to do? Just wait when you do something? Maybe you can solve the issue as you did when add toolbar in MX4 for example. Or you will never do something and we have to change icon_16 size to 20p? Do you remember how many addons are these? I will not do it! I spent two days on simple expansion and minor updates! Because of toolbar icons only! Why? For what?

Make svg icons.  They scale to any size.  I know this can be easier said than done; I've tried with kuttke syccess ,,, cyrved kubes are really hard to get right for me.  But, I just lack the skills ... and I'll live with it.  You may have success developing the skills.

<<SL>>

2 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

Make svg icons.  

This is 177 addons. Nope.
And if they will make "use .svg" an "official guide", will sound stupid: Exnetsions Center works OK with .png only and show gray gear (as with no icons) for other files. It have to work with one type of files.

MX5 was released many months ago and no one warned about it!
I'm almost sure that MX can take all skins and all extensions developer and сollect them all in one room. And all MX problems because they don't think how other devs have to work with their browser. They never will have ocean of developers and when they will make Skins Center, there will be about 5-10 men who can really do something cool, other will upload standart skins with new background. This is Maxthon in its best!

Edited by A.S.

27 minutes ago, A.S. said:

This is 177 addons. Nope.
And if they will make "use .svg" an "official guide", will sound stupid: Exnetsions Center works OK with .png only and show gray gear (as with no icons) for other files. It have to work with one type of files.

MX5 was released many months ago and no one warned about it!
I'm almost sure that MX can take all skins and all extensions developer and сollect them all in one room. And all MX problems because they don't think how other devs have to work with their browser. They never will have ocean of developers and when they will make Skins Center, there will be about 5-10 can really do something cool, other will upload standart skins with new background. This is Maxthon in its best!

i suspect its lack of continuity of staff and poor communication - just as the bugs change here on a regular basis i would guess the devs have a high turnover - so whilst they can program they start with a clean sheet of paper each time and do whatever they want with little detailed reference backwards 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Hi A.S. 

Thanks for opening this thread for discussion. And the issue you encountered is quite clear with the pics you attached there. Icons are blurred only if you change them to 24*24 or bigger pixs. And I really want to figure out why and how to solve. Then I tried two things.  

1st, I went to downloaded 3 other extensions uploaded before or after the launch of MX5. They appear like this on MX5 (v5.0.4.400) and MX4 (v4.4.8.2000)

QQ截图20170502105959.pngMX4 icon toolbar.png

oh, the third one is from you. Thanks for making extensions for MX all the time.

From these two pics, I cannot say which row is clearer or blurrier than the other one. So I suppose Maxthon may not have changed the standard? But this is not enough since your picture is so clear showing. 

So I did another thing, to read the extension SDK file, which is quite beyond my ability as a person almost know nothing about programming.

I just pick the related part to read and saw this paragraph:

icon SDK.png

As far as I understand that, every creator needs to upload 3 different sized icons for the computer choose to show in the right place. So it will choose the right sized one to avoid blurring and make it fit automatically? Or machine cannot be that smart? Am I understanding it correctly? If no, please help shed some light on me, thanks in advance. 

These two tests still cannot solve my confusion, why the others show clear while your newly developed is blurred? You upload 3 sized icons to each extension you made, right?

So with my confusion, I decide to ask this question to our technicians who knows more about extension than me this afternoon, hope he can provide more information.  

4 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

QQ截图20170502105959.png

The third icon - Ecosia - has icon 20x20

From these two pics, I cannot say which row is clearer or blurrier than the other one. So I suppose Maxthon may not have changed the standard? But this is not enough since your picture is so clear showing. 

Really? Don't you blur of the second icon? Don't you really understand why? Just use screenshot tool, press Ctrl+F1 and make accurate screenshot and you will see that this is about 20x20. ABP icon is 19x19 as I remember. So you take 16x16 icons and stretched it to 20x20. This is 25%!

So I did another thing, to read the extension SDK file, which is quite beyond my ability as a person almost know nothing about programming.

icon SDK.png

As far as I understand that, every creator needs to upload 3 different sized icons for the computer choose to show in the right place. So it will choose the right sized one to avoid blurring and make it fit automatically? Or machine cannot be that smart? Am I understanding it correctly?

MX use 48x48 for Extensions Center, 32x32 for sidebar and extensions settings page and 16x16 for toolbar. If MX does not find the icon, other size will be used. But it will look awful. It's the first. The second: if you use toolbar menu, you can not write "icon": "toolbar.png" for toolbar icon, MX still will use icon_16 or other icon_XX. 

These two tests still cannot solve my confusion, why the others show clear while your newly developed is blurred?

You need old extensions with icon_16 = 16p. Just look on icons in MX4 and MX5. 4 points is very many if we talk about 16 points. This is 25%!
Use 16x16 for extensions and 20x20 for your tools if you want. Now you kill all old extensions!

Sx0xGuD9L3M.jpg

Does not matter why you did it. Does not metter what will you do to solve the issue.
Old extensions look disgusting for all MX5 users now. All new extensions will look disgusting for all MX4 and MX3 users if we will just change icons size to 20x20. 
You don't have third-part developers. You have 3K extensions after so many years. And now you break. You could do it... if you warned about it for several months and if you would explain the reasons! 

Hi A.S.

I've talked with our PM on this issue. And you are right.

We found that 20*20 and 40*40 fit MX5 better, so the PM will make Maxthon5 extract 32 and 48 pics to be shown on the toolbar for now to ensure the clarity, so developers like you don't have to worry about the work.

Our designer and chief technician are discussing the standard now, they will draw a new one and will be published on forum and extension center in future.

Thanks again for telling us this issue and sorry for the trouble. :5884970a7da3a_1:

2 minutes ago, BugSir006 said:

Our designer and chief technician are discussing the standard now, they will draw a new one and will be published on forum and extension center in future.

And we will have to change icons sizes in every extension what was be uploaded in Extensions Center from 2010. Great!
Why do you break something that worked fine everytime when you release new browser? You broke toolbar icons (and all extensions with toolbar menu), skins and transparent sidebar icons (it works with some skins) when released MX4 in 2012. Some of these was not have not been returned until now! It mean that MX3 was better! And now you break toolbar icons, sidebar favorites, transparent sidebar icons (again), etc. Cool!
You browser becames better and better... But MX3 had more!

5 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Read this. Take every MX stuff who don't know anything about mxaddons, choose mobile version of any popular Chinese website and make simple addon for sidebar panel.

• Like 1