Assistance needed with previous Maxthon features

Hi

I am on maxthon 4.4.8.2000 + win7

my browser was fine and I had shortcuts on fav bar like this(image 1):

all was good, till I was prompted today for an upgrade. I did and regretted the scenario. My fav. bar was gone and I have to logon with a mail a/c and all new features that I do not want  etc etc..

I dont need all this so I went for a system recovery on my machine from 13 april-17, knowing I will have all intact as I want them to be.

after the system recovery, Maxthon is (visually) back to how it was, but my 'settings' page are coming up like this(image 2)

and the most Important for me is this part(image 3): magic settings

it does not respond to what I choose from the radio buttons anymore. so I can not seem to have the same functionality ( user name | pwd) automatically filled up when I browse all known forms that I frequently visit .

How can I revert back to the magic settings and make the 'settings' page the way it was.(before the update)

Thank You

1.png

2.png

3.png

so something went wrong, i suggest to find a 4.4.8 version of maxthon

then uninstall maxthon and keep your settings then install the fresh 4.4.8

maybe you can achieve this by looking deep in your computer if there's  not this version ready to install

something like an old zip remaining in the downloads folder

If you're using a passport account, uninstall Maxthon, then reinstall. When you sign in all the data should restore. (although given the below quote it seems you were using a guest account)

If not, keep a copy of the userdata folder in appdata and copy it back once you uninstall/reinstall. So long as you have a backup of some description you shouldn't have an issue getting things back to where they were.

7 hours ago, radscorpion said:

My fav. bar was gone and I have to logon with a mail a/c and all new features that I do not want  etc etc..

But if you had a quick look around you would have found that the favbar was just hidden, CTRL+B or View > Shortcut bar to renable it.

You don't need to logon - MX5 has a guest mode which is quite clear on the intro screen.

You may not want all the new features, but just having a browser that is more current is the best feature of it.

Huge Thanks to karajan & 7twenty

I got it all back and as-it-is.

Just for the records

1) copy the 'users' folder from C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3  and keep it intact

2) Uninstall Maxthon via windows add/ remove prog. functionality (btw I was never prompted by M.cloud to   keep my user data) 

3) Install the new M. version

4) Just copy the point # 1 to the new installation

5) restart Maxthon

all the goodies are there as they should be

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On a side note (coming back to 7twenty's advise from above)

1) it would help rookie Maxthon users to see a you tube film or something about 'how to get back the old features' yet using a brand new browser version

for the likes of us (not too browser savy), the moment the Fav. bar goes away (with only imported items as the que-I was prompted to 'import' my favs..and led me to believe that this would be the right direction..since my mind is one-track on my menu-bar settings-so my interpretation of things was completely 180 degrees to Maxthons event of interpretation..Lol)/ logon with gmail (yikes) / guest account (somewhere obscurely hidden) ...and all sort of pop-ups  blowing out on your face ....users like me panic and immediately want to get hold of their 'stuff' without dilly-dallying too much with the new features. Of course there are workarounds and workarounds for workarounds  ,but most users would not like to spend the time finding them out themselves --either because of the lack of interest or lack of time or maybe a combination of both (it takes a long time to accustom the browser to ones likings{at times weeks with testing} and cant be done in a few pop-ups). In such cases , a you tube film about how to migrate and still get to 'keep-it-all' would help immensely. 

At the end of the day, I dont mind going for a brand new updated version of the product,  provided its (visually) explained how to migrate (specially with personal Menu bars & Magic Fill sections). The last two is THE reason I use Maxthon more than FF or chrome or any other from the market.

Once again Thanks to karajan & 7twenty for saving the day , ......and would look forward to a small you tube film from Maxthon , showing handy tips on Migration from now on, with every Browser upgrade (if possible).

Just to keep the Old furniture Happy & chugging too :) ;)

On 20/4/2017 at 11:09 PM, radscorpion said:

it would help rookie Maxthon users to see a you tube film or something about 'how to get back the old features' yet using a brand new browser version

I don't think that's the solution. I'd dare say a good number of users would dismiss that and go about their business, and then come here/facebook etc to complain/ask the question anyway.

On 20/4/2017 at 11:09 PM, radscorpion said:

At the end of the day, I dont mind going for a brand new updated version of the product, provided its (visually) explained how to migrate (specially with personal Menu bars & Magic Fill sections).

There shouldn't be any need for explanation. It supposed to all happen automatically without any user intervention. Why they're actually only importing parts of the data i'm not sure. But the fact that it seems to work as described above without any issues that i'm aware of, it's somewhat annoying and confusing.

I'm unsure why they've decided to hide the favbar by default, as i'm pretty sure it used to be enabled by default. I recall I always had to hide it when testing new versions. So either way you can't keep everyone happy.

And your magic fill issue isn't related to magic fill. There's something wrong with the options css/html files which is why it looked weird and more than likely why it wasn't saving properly.

Archived