notify me of replies

When asking questions or replying, I noticed a little slide switch that says "notify me of replies".  BUT it is set to off.  Why not have the default ON????? If I don't want to know of responses, then let me slide it to off.  I can not think of why I would not want to see the replies.  There have been a few times, I overlooked putting the switch to ON, and wondered why I had not herd anything yet.  So let's change the default to on, and for those who don't want it on let them put it to off........Almost did it again was going to post before I hit the button............

4 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

click your avatar in the right upper corner > account setting > notification settings > tick the two options in " Automatically follow content "

I'm missing something.  I don't have an avatar in the upper RIGHT corner, in the upper RIGHT corner is the "3 menu bars".  I do have an avatar in the upper LEFT corner, but I don't see anything about account settings.  I'm sure it's there, but I haven't found it yet; so I guess I'm so dense that I'll have to have a picture of it so I know where I'm going.

1 hour ago, nevergetany said:

I'm missing something.  I don't have an avatar in the upper RIGHT corner, in the upper RIGHT corner is the "3 menu bars".  I do have an avatar in the upper LEFT corner, but I don't see anything about account settings.  I'm sure it's there, but I haven't found it yet; so I guess I'm so dense that I'll have to have a picture of it so I know where I'm going.

You have to click the avatar first, then you'll see a dropdown menu with account settings.

ava.png

Looks like we have conflicting information or not complete information. First, Bug Sir006 is referring to the maxthon Forum page, not the browser. The browser has your icon in the upper left corner as Phyr displayed  in his response: that is NOT the avatar BugSir006 was referring to. When you are logged into the Maxthon Community page, your avatar is in the upper RIGHT corner and clicking on that Avatar will produce the menu with account settings in it which will then lead you to notification settings. You are making a change to your Maxthon Community settings, not you Maxthon Browser settings and that is where I see the confusion was. No one is missing something just a little bit confusing info. No harm done.

10 hours ago, PHYR said:

You have to click the avatar first, then you'll see a dropdown menu with account settings.

ava.png

Thank You for your assistance.  I see where I made my mistake.......I misinterpreted the BROWSER Avatar with the FORUM page Avatar.  When I used the BROWSER Avatar, I did come up with what you show........but notice......it says "Account SECURITY" not Account SETTINGS".  But thank you, I'm learning things about Mx5 I never knew existed.

10 minutes ago, nevergetany said:

I see where I made my mistake.......I misinterpreted the BROWSER Avatar with the FORUM page Avatar.  

Not your fault; Phyr misinterpreted the same thing and led you in the wrong direction but now you are all on the right track. No harm done.

4 hours ago, rick.lane said:

Looks like we have conflicting information or not complete information. First, Bug Sir006 is referring to the maxthon Forum page, not the browser. The browser has your icon in the upper left corner as Phyr displayed  in his response: that is NOT the avatar BugSir006 was referring to. When you are logged into the Maxthon Community page, your avatar is in the upper RIGHT corner and clicking on that Avatar will produce the menu with account settings in it which will then lead you to notification settings. You are making a change to your Maxthon Community settings, not you Maxthon Browser settings and that is where I see the confusion was. No one is missing something just a little bit confusing info. No harm done.

Thank you, that showed me what I missed. The BROWSER Avatar is the UPPER LEFT corner.  I hadn't really noticed the FORUM Avatar in the UPPER RIGHT (mainly because the browser avatar was not carried to the forum page......why, I don't know.  When I put the Avatar in for the Browser page back in Mx4, one would think it would go to all places where an Avatar would go (and if for some reason you wanted to change it at that SPECIFIC section, it could say "change Avatar for this section only"). But it don't. It's broke, and didn't get fixed. There is probably an easy way to change it on the Forum page, but I'm not sure how to do it ...............yet.  But thanks to you and BugSir006, I have successfully  got my notifications set to how I want them (I hope).  I have liked..........or should I say LOVE......the Maxthon Browser ever since 3x.  Yes we have had our spats, ............ but what married couples don't..............and we have misunderstandings; but with the love and support of the community, we all learn together.  Thanks for all your help, and I'm sure, I will still have to be educated on some of the Maxthon features that I know nothing about.

11 hours ago, nevergetany said:

Thank You for your assistance.  I see where I made my mistake.......I misinterpreted the BROWSER Avatar with the FORUM page Avatar.  When I used the BROWSER Avatar, I did come up with what you show........but notice......it says "Account SECURITY" not Account SETTINGS".  But thank you, I'm learning things about Mx5 I never knew existed.

Maxthon loves giving various names to the same thing, it would help if they changed it to settings because that's what it is, of which security is a subset.

8 hours ago, PHYR said:

Maxthon loves giving various names to the same thing, it would help if they changed it to settings because that's what it is, of which security is a subset.

I agree that the terms should stay consistent.  I just went to  "Account Security", under the Browser Avatar.  What I noticed is you can change your Avatar there.  However, when I click the Avatar in the Forum section, it does have "Account Settings", and as BugSir006 mentioned  click your avatar in the right upper corner > account setting > notification settings > tick the two options in " Automatically follow content " .  Maybe I missed it but"Account Security" did not have "notification settings".  To me it would of been "more intuitive" if they would of put "Account Settings" under "Account Security" so everything would of been in one place.  But alas!!!!!!!!! we are just the "End User" what do we know of how to make things easier.

3 hours ago, nevergetany said:

Maybe I missed it but"Account Security" did not have "notification settings".  To me it would of been "more intuitive" if they would of put "Account Settings" under "Account Security" so everything would of been in one place.

Seems some people don't understand that these are two different and not connected settings pages.

The one in the browser (top left) is related to your passport account. This has nothing to do with the forum except that it might share the same username.

The account options at the top right of the mx forum page is related only to the forum. Again there is no overlap except for maybe the same username.

While we did have a connected forum and passport setting on the old discuz forum, that was dropped when the change to ipb happened.

So after all that, what you requested is available albeit not in the way that you expected or wanted.

1 hour ago, 7twenty said:

Seems some people don't understand that these are two different and not connected settings pages.

The one in the browser (top left) is related to your passport account. This has nothing to do with the forum except that it might share the same username.

The account options at the top right of the mx forum page is related only to the forum. Again there is no overlap except for maybe the same username.

While we did have a connected forum and passport setting on the old discuz forum, that was dropped when the change to ipb happened.

So after all that, what you requested is available albeit not in the way that you expected or wanted.

So I have been learning lately......ever since I went to community [forum] and wound up in facebook.  But I've got the workaround on that one now; I will still check back periodically to see if they get Menu>help>community to go to the Forum as it has for years.  And I still think they should bring the "flying red horse" back, that was a great feature, I used it all the time.

9 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

sorry, what's that?

Back in the late stages of Mx3 and the early stages of Mx4, they had an add on called "ad skipper" and there was a "red horse" icon.  It was used when you came to a video advertisement. All you had to do was press the icon (which I liked calling "the flying red horse"), and it would fast forward through the video advertisement.  It was a great tool.  However, when you went to the next minor upgrade (3.x to 3.xx), the tool was not compatible.  We were told it would not come back.  But they did bring it back for one version of 4; but alas, when they made a minor modification, and we upgraded to it, we lost the flying red horse again.  I would of liked to have said "long live the flying red horse"; but the powers that be have said "the flying red horse is dead".

Archived