Fix Auto-fill (name, address, ZIP)

The autofill (fill form) feature has never worked well. How about finally making it functional?

Even though I have my name, address, city, state, ZIP saved in Maxthon settings, MX4 (and now MX5) never seems to correctly recognize the fields, and usually populates my street address into multiple fields. And instead of getting my first and last name, I usually get my username in both fields. I don't think I've ever (even one single time) gotten every field to correctly populate. Usually, I just end up typing in every field manually, like I used to do in 1998 before this became a common feature on browsers (except in Opera and Chrome it works great).

This can't be that hard, Chrome works perfectly most of the time. If you can't do it, then how about implementing the old Opera method, whereby you tab through the fields, and start typing the first couple characters of the entry, and then it picks from the list of fields you've saved in the settings.

It uses the field names to determine what needs to be filled in each one. If they're not named correctly, or with random or generic "address" names, then MX can't figure out what exactly to fill. And that is why you get what you mentioned.

A properly coded form shouldn't have issues. But I haven't used the Opera or Chrome (same thing?) to see how it works on sites that MX fails on.

Although it would be nice if the MX fill option was a little more robust when it comes to filling forms that cause issues like that.

To clarify:

Chrome saves all field tokens together as a single identity, and fills the entire form out instantly, like Maxthon does, except Chrome works well.
Opera saves field tokens separately, and the user must "tab" through the field and either choose them from a drop down menu or start typing the first couple characters and let it auto-populate.
Maxthon just simply never works. Perhaps it is because Maxthon only recognizes one single name for each type of field? For example, the field for the ZIP code could be:

ZIP, ZIP code, ZIP Code (xxxxx), ZIP +4, Postal code, Postal code (ZIP)...etc. Any of those names should trigger Maxthon to fill in my ZIP code.
Likewise, Address, Street Address, Street, Address 1, Address (1st line), Address (1) could all be possibilities for my street address.

If you want to see a great example of a registration form that Maxthon makes a disaster of, try https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/ppsclub-krisflyer/registration-form/
It fills in username for First and Last name, does not split the phone number as the website requests, fills in the street address in four different fields, and puts my username once again in the Postal Code field. So is the Singapore Air website not "properly coded?" Or does Maxthon need some improvement?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chrome also does not auto-fill on this site very well either. But who cares? The point is that the site does not work on Maxthon. I use Maxthon because I expect it to be the best browser available. If Maxthon's development strategy is to only perform as well as Chrome, then there is no reason for me to use Maxthon instead of Chrome.

On 4/23/2017 at 11:25 PM, vedicaudio said:

Chrome also does not auto-fill on this site very well either. But who cares? The point is that the site does not work on Maxthon. I use Maxthon because I expect it to be the best browser available. If Maxthon's development strategy is to only perform as well as Chrome, then there is no reason for me to use Maxthon instead of Chrome.

I like what you said, very well said!

It's bloody true that there is no need for Maxthon to look up to Chrome during development, Maxthon needs to surpass Chrome so to be the best to Maxthon's users. 

• 1 month later...

Since this posting, new versions of Maxthon have moved the area where you input fields to be auto-filled into the passkeeper feature, under General Identities.

But the field labels are only in Chinese for the English version of MX5. Can this be translated to English, please?

MX chinese labels.JPG

5 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

Since this posting, new versions of Maxthon have moved the area where you input fields to be auto-filled into the passkeeper feature, under General Identities.

But the field labels are only in Chinese for the English version of MX5. Can this be translated to English, please?

This issue has been addressed in a version that should be released next week.

• 1 month later...

Slightly different aspect, but I'll add it here instead of opening a new thread:

Some sites (such as Google's Gmail and Microsoft's Outlook) are moving to a 2-step login method, where instead of user/pass in one go there is a first stage where a username is entered and checked and only later on the password is required. Is there a way to make Passkeeper to function with the new situation?

24 minutes ago, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

Slightly different aspect, but I'll add it here instead of opening a new thread:

Some sites (such as Google's Gmail and Microsoft's Outlook) are moving to a 2-step login method, where instead of user/pass in one go there is a first stage where a username is entered and checked and only later on the password is required. Is there a way to make Passkeeper to function with the new situation?

This issue was addressed months ago, what issue are you having? I have no issues with PK filling in password for Gmail nor Outlook.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:24 PM, PHYR said:

This issue was addressed months ago, what issue are you having? I have no issues with PK filling in password for Gmail nor Outlook.

I should've been more specific:

The issue is when using PK at the 2nd login phase (password).
When using PK on password field - it clears it out completely, even it did fill the password originally (when using PK on the username phase)

So the scenario is:
1. Enter a 2-step login
2. Use PasKeeper to input username
3. Password phase - password can be present or not (depending on the site I guess?)
4. If using PK to fill the password phase - it clear the field compeltely

mail.pngmail.png

Archived