My opinion on MX5 and the bugs I found

First of all, I'd to say I'm a big fan of Maxthon, I'm using it since the MyIE years, so don't think I just want to bash...

I'm really pleased with the stability of the v5, but here are some major flaws/bugs for me:

-it's really unbelievable that we still can't move bookmarks with drag'n drop in Maxnote ! That's a serious pain in the *ss to sort bookmarks using the "move to" function !!! How could someone realease a stable version without such a basic function ??? Btw when using the "move to" function, why the tree is not pointing to the current folder when we're using the function to look into the arborescence ? Each time we have to go through all the folders from the root to select a folder which is just a subolder of the current one. The only alternative is to use the drag'n drop from the favorites menu when surfing...

-if we use the "open all" function in a folder, it'll even open the bookmarks from the subfolders ! That's not really the behaviour we want and that was not really like this in previous versions.

-"mark as most favorite" does not change the color of the police anymore.

-when we'are creating a bookmark or a folder in infobox, each time it goes in top of the list ? Why this change of behaviour in MX5 compared to previous versions ?

-when using the "private mode" on a PC, if we add bookmarks they'are appearing in the "recent records" list on the android version of MX5. That's not really a smart feature, because anybody who borrows my phone can see what I didn't want him to see ! So OK I could unlog each time, but when Maxthon is the default browser that's not really convenient.

-we don't have anymore a "sort" function when doing a right click in a folder of bookmarks (in the main window while surfing not in infobox)

-the "update site icons" is not working great, after several hundreds bookmarks, it does not update the icons anymore and go to the end of the task without any reason

-when searching bookmarks in infobox, it could be great to have on the right side a field with the path of the bookmark, in order to know in which folder it was found.

Maybe I forgot some bugs, I waited several months before submiting these bugs because I thought it'd be corrected in a next realease, but nothing happens...

In the end the browsing speed and stability are great for such an early release, too bad there is still not a great support for skins ! But the new features like infobox are good idea.

By the way, how are encrypted the passwords in "passkeeper" ? How can we be sure that the chinese governement is not getting all these datas stored in the cloud ?

there are two parts in your post

the first is the usual whinning boy blues song and the second is about computer security

i can't do a thing about maxthon developping stuff; on security flaw it goes witout saying

syncing and the cloud are all time vulnerabilities, use at your own risk

so are the social networks. It's a big deal.

I don't think I'm whinning as you say, I'm just presenting my arguments, bugs I found and my opinion ! If you don't express what you think nobody will do it for you. So we need to show to maxthon devs what's problematic for us !

For "passkeeper", I'm not talking about vulnerabilities, but about voluntary backdoors in order to share the infos with the governement. I'm also asking about the algorithm used to crypt the this database.

1 hour ago, marcp39 said:

I'm also asking about the algorithm used to crypt the this database.

According to their PR:

What's the encryption method of Passkeeper?

In the process of data storage and network transmission, Passkeeper uses multiple encryption techniques including AES256 and multiple verification techniques to make sure your password information's security.

And I agree with most of everything else.

Hi there, thanks for the long post, and we really appreciate your passion on Maxthon.

Most of the request there actually are on the way for developing now, and we'll do it one by one. 

On 3/8/2017 at 5:28 AM, marcp39 said:

it's really unbelievable that we still can't move bookmarks with drag'n drop in Maxnote

&

when searching bookmarks in infobox, it could be great to have on the right side a field with the path of the bookmark

As for these,

the "update site icons" is not working great

we had two bugs related to it brought out by @-ody-, our developers have solved it. The ones shown in red means already in our icon library or due to network problem. Some sites just stop working. 

"private mode" on a PC, if we add bookmarks

bookmarks can be synced across platforms regardless of the mode. Private mode will not track or record your browsing history. 

we don't have anymore a "sort" function when doing a right click in a folder of bookmarks (in the main window while surfing not in infobox)

don't quite understand this one, could you help explain?

On 14/3/2017 at 8:57 AM, BugSir006 said:

As for these,

we had two bugs related to it brought out by @-ody-, our developers have solved it. The ones shown in red means already in our icon library or due to network problem. Some sites just stop working. 

bookmarks can be synced across platforms regardless of the mode. Private mode will not track or record your browsing history. 

Hello BugSir,

for the "update site icons" function, the icons are not already in the icon library I think neither there is a network problem.

I don't know why but after a certain amount of bookmarks, it does not update the icons, marks everything in red and goes directly to the end. Not any site will have its icon updated.

And regarding the the sync of bookmarks, I know they are synched across platforms, but is it not possible to hide them from the "recent records" windows of infobox on android when they are coming from a "private mode" session ?

Another bug I often encounter, is when you change the zoom percentage in one tab, it affects the others tabs when you'll be browsing them. Whereas this setting should be independant from the previous tab.

Thanks for your support.

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

1 hour ago, PHYR said:

3700 favorites and you're wondering why you're having issues? Give me a break....

This is not really the kind of message we would expect from a moderator... that's just some kind of trolling.

There was not this bug in the previous version of Maxthon as far as I remember. The link checker is doing his job without a glitch until it stopped verifying the links for an unknown reason.

A program should work for 1 or 10k iterations, that's its job, otherwise we call that a bug

Hello.

I'm seriously considering stop using maxthon.

I loved Maxthon because was portable, fast, simple, ad block and flash integrated and usefull quick access page.

Now Maxthon is not fast, less simple to use, ad block lost one of my favourite caracteristic (block ads by click), and quick access page became unusefull.

A lot of people asked you to do something to get back to what they loved of Maxthon, but seems that the Maxthon team want to go straigth on they street; so i'm sorry, but Maxthon is no more my favourite browser.

I hope to end up with a browser version that can still be my favorite, but until it not happens i say you goodbye.

Ettore

Archived