V 4.9.4.3000 to MX 5 Questions

I want to upgrade to MX 5 but I want to migrate my "Guest User" home page with all my links and passwords and I don't want to use "Pass Keeper". Is this possible? I have 40 links on my "Maxthon Now Start Page Favorites Links". I am using V 4.9.4.3000

I don't think Maxthon Now is affected by an upgrade to M5. It should be accessible with any browser.

If you are referring to Quick Access it might be imported using M5 update tool. There are other options such as importing a folder or html file.

import.png

Here is is what I want to bring in to MX5. This is not a "User" account. I just open Maxthon with no login and this is my home page.

Untitled.jpg

Also, if I have trouble, will 4.9.4.3000 still be untouched for use?

Ok, I installed MX5. Magic fill brought in all my "Your Favorites" passwords but did not populate my start page with all my links and descriptions. The only thing it brought in from V 4.9.4.3000 to my start page is "Favorites" tool bar and drop down menu. This is very frustrating when a browser doesn't just update your old info EXACTLY like the previous version you were using. V 4.9.4.3000 has issues with flashplayer and MX5 doesn't bring in V 4.9.4.3000 in exactly as the user would expect. I may switch to another browser unless someone can guide me through updating "Your Favorites" without having to manually entering them.

I am no expert on this so if l'm wrong, someone please correct me. First off, did you uninstall MX 4.9 and delete your user data or is it still there? my suggestions below requires that you still have MX 4.9 and/or your user data. To check your user data, open your Explorer and direct to %appdata% and see if version 4 is there. Close Maxthon 5 before doing these

1. Your start page: Since you weren't logged in and just had that Maxthon Now page as guest, sounds like all your settings were saved as a cookie. Go to your appdata, Maxthon 4 folder, Users, then your user folder, then see the Cookies folder, copy EVERYTHING in that folder, then go to the same place in MX 5 [Appdata, maxthon 5, users, your user, cookies] and delete EVERYTHING and paste in the new data. now open Maxthon 5 and see if the Maxthon Now page is how you like. if you need to set it as homepage, go to your Settings, General, Manage Homepage and change it to http://i.maxthon.com

2. Favourites: I'm not sure if you're still having issue with this, but if you are, do the same steps as above, but instead of copying and replacing the cookies folder, it's the favorites folder.

I regularly keep a backup of my user folder just in case upgrading to a newer version causes issues. I think it's something everyone should do too.

Technically what Mo88 explained should restore your favourites on the i.maxthon.com page. Except that MX5 seems to be using a new cookie format, so copying over that data won't help as MX5 won't read it.

Part of the issue is that you're thinking that page is part of the browser when it's only a website and info on it is saved as cookies rather than with other browser data like favourites/history etc.

It's a little annoying that don't provide a save option of some sort... but I guess that's the point of having a passport!?

59 minutes ago, Mo88 said:

I regularly keep a backup of my user folder just in case upgrading to a newer version causes issues. I think it's something everyone should do too.

So do I, but you would hope that Maxthon (and any program relying on cloud data) should have procedures in place to ensure that data is not lost/corrupted. Maxthon does keep numerous backups of favourites and other data, i'm just not sure how it determines what needs to be restored when.

Generally users just want to run their programs and have them do what they want. They shouldn't need to delve into the filesystem or chase up backups to restore data. (Although regularly backing up your system is highly recommended).

Personally, I have a problem using Passport. I don't want my information stored on a 3rd party server.I have a passport account and my data is already there.

With that being said, it sounds like I cannot get the i.maxthon.com that I have as my start up page on V 4.9 to migrate to MX5 without using passport which also doesn't bring the "cookie" in 4.9 into MX5

I installed MX5, still have V4.9.4.3000 installed and available. Since Maxthon doesn't give me a seamless way to use the 4.9 homepage at i.maxthon.com and syncing to MX5 doesn't bring that "cookie" in, I am thinking about going to another browser that doesn't have these issues. To get all of that back I would have to re-enter 40 plus websites on the MX5 startup page. This shouldn't happen because of an "upgrade".

Maxthon really should give you the option of using their Passport Cloud or not. I don't like being forced to load my username and passwords on a cloud server in order to use data from an oolder version and they should bring in "Whatever" data that was used in the older version. I shouldn't have to use an account to use my browser. This is why I don't use Chrome. 

I like the Maxthon layout, BUT, 4.9.4.3000 really has a lot of issues when it comes to various websites and flashplayer. I am tired of having to switch Custom User Strings to access features of different websites.

10 hours ago, BGFun said:

Personally, I have a problem using Passport.

I also don't use Passport, but not because of having my data elsewhere. I do have one for testing, but don't use it for my everyday surfing. As to why, it's so issues like this and the many others like "this/that didn't sync" don't arise.

it sounds like I cannot get the i.maxthon.com that I have as my start up page on V 4.9 to migrate to MX5 without using passport which also doesn't bring the "cookie" in 4.9 into MX5

Can't be done with or without passport. The only way it could happen is if you could copy the cookie for the site to MX5 and as I stated above, it cant be done due to the change in save structure between MX4>5.

I am thinking about going to another browser that doesn't have these issues. To get all of that back I would have to re-enter 40 plus websites on the MX5 startup page. This shouldn't happen because of an "upgrade".

And doing that will still ensure that you need to enter 40+ sites into their favourites system. Part of the issue is that you're using a website to store some/all of your favourites instead of the actual favourites manager built into the browser, or QuickAccess for that matter. Had you used either of those the update to MX5 would have been seamless.

The same more than likely would have been the case had you used any other browser that used a website without login info to do the same.

Maxthon really should give you the option of using their Passport Cloud or not.
I don't like being forced to load my username and passwords on a cloud server in order to use data from an oolder version and they should bring in "Whatever" data that was used in the older version.
I shouldn't have to use an account to use my browser

They do.
You're not, and it does when you use the correct tools.
You don't have to.

There is nothing stopping you from solely using a guest account. The only thing you lose by not using one is that you can't login to your browser from any PC/device and have all your favourites/password/extensions available.

The problem lies with Maxthon providing a site that has a list of favourites that isn't saved with any userdata and the loss of cookies during an upgrade, and users not realising that it isn't part of the browser.

Hi @BGFun, as 7twenty said i.maxthon.com is a website, is not a part of Maxthon browser. It's quite new to me that you use it as your quick dial/quick access. 

In both MX4 and MX5, we have a quick access system where you can realize this aims. 

As for whether you can transfer the settings on i.maxthon.com from MX4 to MX5, I doubt it but I'll confirm this with our prodcut manager.

5 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

It's quite new to me that you use it as your quick dial/quick access. 

I use to do that too because l liked seeing the news on the same page, but then I tried the built in QA and never went back to that website. Maybe BGFun uses it for the same reason?

BGFun, when you say that you're going to switch browsers over this issue, hear me out. I started using Maxthon in 2010, I think it was MX 3 that time? When version 4 came out, there were features that were taken out that l liked. But I quickly enjoyed the new features that MX4 added. Same thing happened with MX 5. My mom still has MX 4.8 on her laptop and sometimes I'll help her with an issue and I get surprised how much better Maxthon 5 is now. What I'm trying to say is, yes there are differences and things taken out, but allow changes to come and see if you'll like the newer additions. We get so used to certain things that when it changes, our first reaction is to hate it, but if you give it a chance, you may see why the changes were needed and will love it more. I'm not just talking about Maxthon, but life in general. Embrace change. Maxthon/the world cannot get better without changes

Hi all, sorry to say that currently the settings you altered on i.maxthon.com cannot be synced to your upgraded browser, reason has been stated before. 

But as I have forward this situation to our product manager, they will consider this part and are starting to release a plan to help people migrate this data. 

And Maxthon team is about to push upgrade notification to all MX4 users in near future, so they will manage to solve this issue before the pushing.

BTW, really glad to hear you saying so! @Mo88 

Ok, I have looked at all the tabs and settings in MX 4. I see no Reference to anything labeled "Quick Access" or "Favorites Manager". If I understand what is being said above, IF I use "Quick Access" of "Favorites Manager" All my links and passwords would be brought into MX5? 

One thing I don't understand is why if all that information is in "Magic Fill", that information cannot be used to populate MX5 and allow me to use i.maxthon.com as I currently use it. I am just trying to use my browser in a fashion that I like and want to continue to use. I am all for change and I understand change and like new toys and features. @Mo88 You are correct. I like all the news and weather on the same page as all my links with one click logins from that page. 

I also have Oper installed and I have a couple of links on "Quick Dial". I equate "Quick Dial" to"My Favorites" on i.maxthon.com. If I update Opera, I don't lose "Quick Dial" Links. They are all there just as i left them in the old version. Folders in my "Favorites" come in just fine but I use that feature for a totally different reason than "My Favorites" on i.maxthon.com.

Maybe I am missing something but it sounds like due to a cookie format change, I am stuck with MX4 and switching between "Custom User Strings" for different websites or using MX5 and re-entering 40 plus links and passwords on i.maxthon.com. I should not have to do either of these.

So, I have some suggestions: 1) find a way to bring in "My Favorites" or 2) Add a feature to use the "Magic Fill" data to populate "My Favorites" 3) Use a similar format as Opera "Quick Dial" (Maybe MX5 already has this but MX4 to MX5 does not)

I have used Maxthon since 2007 ish, starting while I lived in China for 8 years. I don't want to appear angry or insulting and apologize if it comes across that way.

55 minutes ago, BGFun said:

"Quick Access"

The new tab page. Access it by clicking the + button at the end of the tab bar. Or Ctrl+T. I'd be surprised if you haven't seen or used it at least a few times in your years of using Maxthon.

57 minutes ago, BGFun said:

"Favorites Manager"

It's linked in the favourites bar dropdown (gold star at the left). And in the Favourites menu when clicking from the navbar. Also Ctrl+Alt+B

58 minutes ago, BGFun said:

One thing I don't understand is why if all that information is in "Magic Fill", that information cannot be used to populate MX5 and allow me to use i.maxthon.com as I currently use it.

Magic Fill is related to passwords. Nothing to do with favourites or anything on i.maxthon.com.

59 minutes ago, BGFun said:

I equate "Quick Dial" to"My Favorites" on i.maxthon.com

Use a similar format as Opera "Quick Dial" (Maybe MX5 already has this but MX4 to MX5 does not)

And you would be wrong. Quick Dial is the equivalent of MX's Quick Access as noted at the start of this post. As mentioned before, this would have been transferred on updating between versions.

Lost my post... so here's a quick version.

in MX4:

Open up all your i.maxthon.com "favourites" in new tabs (ctrl+click or this extension to make it a little easier (play with it first to see how it works/what it does)

Save all the tabs to favourites (ctrl+alt+D)

Install MX5 (or use the portable version, to make sure everything works as intended).

In MX5:

Import userdata from the prompt at startup. Or if that doesn't show use the menu option in tools > Import/export userdata

From there all your favourites will be imported into MX5 and you can then use Quick Aceess (once setup) or the fav bar to access them.

So while it's not going to be as it was in MX4, you will have all the same sites that you had in MX4 just accessed differently. But it will mean that in future the same shouldn't happen again.

And if you do decide to setup Quick Access, i'd recommend going into split screen mode with all the sites open and dragging the URL to the required field to be filled in. Will be the quickest way to enter that data instead of typing in or copy/pasting each site.

Or alternately, in MX4, it has a currently open tab. With all the pages open after saving as noted above, go to Quick Access > add > Currently open, and add the sites from there to QA. When you import the data to MX5, it should all be added. You may still have to adjust the way they are grouped though.

Hopefully that helps you out. It's not a 1min job, but i'd be surprised if it takes longer than 10mins. If you need any help with any of the above, please ask.

I have a suggestion, someone at Maxthon should make a deep youtube video showing how Maxthon works and the features. Not a quick 2 minute video but 10-15 minutes at least. That way new, an old, users know exactly what Maxthon offers and how to access and use them. Like the video l sent to you, @BugSir006 showing every step l took to figure out the WWE Network issue. 

ps how do l tag someone? I can't get it like how BGFun tagged me

Just did an import of my userdata to MX4 and the cookies all migrated over. Pretty sure I did that test earlier and coudn't get it to work, more testing may be needed. But based on that, you should be able to just copy over your userdata to MX5 (or at least the cookie folder/files) and everything should be where you want it.

If you do try it, keep backups of everything so you can go back in case things don't work as expected.

Archived