Maxthon 4.9.4.2000 Not Compatibile with Wise Forums

Chim

This topic probably doesn't belong here, but as has happened various times before when I try to start a topic where it belongs ... I cannot create my new topic there.

Anyway ... while using Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000, I encountered some problems accessing the Wise Forums.

(1)  I cannot post up replies in a thread using the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the thread.

(2)  Once I am then forced to use the "Reply to this topic" BUTTON at the upper right of the page ... I cannot attach images in a reply because some extraneous text is being superimposed on the "Choose Files" button rendering it non-functional.  I have attached a screen capture of that.

(3)  The Text Attributes Bar will not even be displayed at all.

With Opera browser and with Maxthon Cloud 4.9.3.1000 everything will work correctly

Wise Forum Reply Box with Red.png

3 hours ago, Chim said:

This topic probably doesn't belong here, but as has happened various times before when I try to start a topic where it belongs ... I cannot create my new topic there.

Anyway ... while using Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000, I encountered some problems accessing the Wise Forums.

(1)  I cannot post up replies in a thread using the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the thread.

(2)  Once I am then forced to use the "Reply to this topic" BUTTON at the upper right of the page ... I cannot attach images in a reply because some extraneous text is being superimposed on the "Choose Files" button rendering it non-functional.  I have attached a screen capture of that.

(3)  The Text Attributes Bar will not even be displayed at all.

With Opera browser and with Maxthon Cloud 4.9.3.1000 everything will work correctly

I can't test (needs a subscription), anyway here are some tips :

• did you try in retro mode ?
  • did you change the useragent ? if yes try with default
  • disable ABP
  • disable all extensions

sigmax2.png

Oops!  I thought I had replied last night.  Well, I did, but I was sooo sleepy that I didn't realize that it was the Wise Forum where I replied.  It wasn't until this morning when fully awake that I realized, "Wait a minute.  I remember replying to Xilolee ... and he's from the Wise Forums, not the Maxthon Forums.  Doh!" :titter:

Anyway, on my 1st stage of my experiment yesterday, I tried my Portable version of Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 from my Flash Drive because I didn't want to mess around with uninstalling my Installer version of 4.9.3.1000 then reinstalling 4.9.4.2000 because I then always have trouble getting Ad Block Plus to work again.  I noticed that with my Portable version of 4.9.4.2000 everything was working fine.  I was, "What the .... ?"  So, I then reluctantly uninstalled my Installer version of 4.9.3.1000 and reinstalled 4.9.4.2000.  There too ... NOW everything appeared to be working fine.

So, I guess it must have been a faulty installation of 4.9.4.2000.

Thanks for your suggestions, Ody, 7twenty, Joemax. :5884970a7da3a_1:

Okay, some follow up questions:

(1)  Regarding Retro Mode --- Isn't there something about Retro Mode whereby say I had tried it ... then from then on, that website (Wise Forums) would always be accessed via Retro Mode and that even manual changes back to Ultra Mode would just be One Time things for THAT session?  Or something along those lines?  I could be wrong.

(2)  User Agent --- What is that?   What does that do?  I see it over there in the "Others"  category in the Advanced settings.  I've never messed with that.  Can't hurt to know what it's for though.

(3)  Basic Uploader --- What is that for?  I can't even remember where I've seen that, but I think I have seen it.

2. user agent changes can be helpful for some sites that don't like certain things in the default string. Eg "maxthon 4.9.1", or to fool websites into thinking you're using a newer version of Chrome. Generally you should leave it as the default option, as if you change something then another site might have issues. But good for troubleshooting certain scenarios.

3.See your image in the first post where you circled. Instead of using the standard flash(?) uploader, it uses a HTML(?) version which is probably more basic, but has less issues as it's not related to flash or other plugins.

I would have been interested to see the outcome of the plugins option that I noted above. As your image clearly showed it was plugin related. Seems you may have taken the nuclear option when a simple checkbox may have been the solution to your issue.

Ahhh okay.  I now understand what the User Agent does.  I believe I recall some option like that from back in my Opera browser days.  I don't remember what it was called there.  Not that I ever used it.

@JoeMax:  As to whether I meant "Downloader?"  In your question, you asked, "What happens when you try the basic uploader?"  That's why I said "Uploader."

@7twenty:  Regarding your wondering --- I do have my setting to allow all sites to run plug-ins.  As to whether possibly a simple checkbox switching might have been the solution to my issue?  Nnnnggg, well, I wouldn't think so.  Why?  Because in both situations, that of having the problems and then subsequently everything working fine ... the "Allow all sites to run plug-ins" setting was set the same.  I don't mess with that setting.  Unless it somehow changed by itself.

I tell you what.  Let me go try changing that setting on my Portable version just to see what happens.  I'll be back with the results.

I'm back.  The verdict?  The results are mixed.

After changing the setting to NOT allow all sites to run plug-ins ... I was not able to post up a reply in the "Reply to this topic" box.

However, as you can see in the screen cap that I have attached ... the Text Attributes Bar DOES display.  And while the "Choose Files" button does not display, the failure is in a different manner vs. the failure manner in the 1st screen cap in this thread.

Wise Forum Reply Box II.png

Is that question for me or for Karajan?

As for me ... at the time of the issues, I had the latest Flash Player installed via your MX Flash Updater 0.65b app.  Since then, I have of course been performing some uninstalls and reinstalls of Maxthon.  So, I have to run that app again so that it'll update Maxthon with the latest Flash Player.  I'll run it later in the evening when I'm watching TV.  Cuz with having Dial Up Internet, that Flash Player Update / Download will take right around an hour.

16 minutes ago, Chim said:

Is that question for me or for Karajan?

You.

Reason I ask is that if the uploader does use Flash, then it not being installed will obviously cause an issue. But if it is installed and working, then it's using some other plugin. At which point Flash isn't the cause.

Before doing the update (unless you need to update), just check the site linked above to check that it is being detected.

If it's detected and working, then we need to look elsewhere. If it's not, and it is Flash based, then having Flash updated/installed correctly should fix the issue.

Oh, okay.  Officially, as checked by CCleaner, I have Flash Player 24.0.0.194 PPAPI installed.  NOW ... checking with that link you provided, it says that 18.0.0.232 is installed.  I guess that 18.0.0.232 must be the included by default Flash Player that the Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 that I currently have installed came with.  So, either way ... Flash Player WAS already installed back when I was experiencing the problems and also currently now that eveything is working fine.  So at no time was there ever a complete absence of Flash Player.

I'm guessing that in theory, once I run that MX Flash Updater 0.65b app, that Flash Player link SHOULD detect 24.0.0.194.  Otherwise that link is full of something.  In fact, I'll go do that now.  I'll be back in about an hour with the results.

So, bottom line, at this time I guess we can no longer conduct anymore troubleshooting because as I mentioned in comment #6, the issues mysteriously went away ... conceivably having existed because of a faulty install.

Right now the only issue I'm back down to is that of experiencing is that familiar one regarding having trouble getting Ad Block Plus working after those uninstalls and reinstalls as happens all the time in those situations.  But, that's already been discussed in another thread.  I periodically mess around with it to try and get it jump started, to no avail.  It'll eventually start working again whenever it feels like it.

Okay, I'm back. Verdict?  Well, 7twenty, you might be onto something.

I uninstalled the 24.0.0.194 PPAPI Flash Player so as to start from scratch.  I ran the MX Flash Update 0.65b app so as to presumably update not only my system, but Maxthon Cloud with 24.0.0.194 PPAPI no ands, ifs or buts.  A check with CCleaner indicates that 24.0.0.194 was indeed installed.

However ... now as you can see in the 1st screen cap below, that Adobe Flash Player Detector link cannot load the plug-in that does the detecting.  Then in the 2nd screen cap below, back on the Wise Forums ... while the Text Attributes Bar DOES load as highlighted in Blue, now the "Choose Files" button failure to display is back.

Hmmm ... I wonder if there is a problem with the MX Flash Updater 0.65b app whereby Maxthon Cloud was not necessarily updated correctly?

Adobe Flash Player Version Detector.png

Wise Forum Reply Box Sequel.png

On 29/1/2017 at 4:44 AM, Chim said:

Hmmm ... I wonder if there is a problem with the MX Flash Updater 0.65b app whereby Maxthon Cloud was not necessarily updated correctly?

Hmmm indeed. That is what it looks like.

Can you provide a screenshot of the Core\Blink\plugins folder found in the Maxthon install folder. Preferably with the product version of the pepflashplayer.dll files showing.

Alrighty, here you go, 7twenty.  The 1st image is of the Core Blink plugins folder as requested.  And that pepflashplayer.dll icon in there DOES indicate 24.0.0.194.

The 2nd image is to show that again ... acquired TODAY ... Maxthon 4.9.4.2000 is still not able to load that plugin at the Flash Player Detector.

The 3rd image shows that ... acquired TODAY ... with Opera 36.0.2130.65, the Flash Player Detector DOES work AND correctly detected 24.0.0.194.

Maxthon Core Blink plugins.png

Flash Player Detector on Maxthon.png

Flash Player Detector on Opera.png

I have a feeling that it might be windows XP that is the issue and the way the correct files are determined to be copied. All my testing has been with Windows 10, of which most things haven't changed much since WinVista/7. Xp on the other hand is another beast all together.

Will have a look into this and see what I can find out... but not really a fan of spending time fixing things for a long since obsolete OS.

Can you please provide a screenshot of the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folders if available.

EDIT: had a quick look, and it seems the correct files are being, but for some reason it doesn't want to work. Seems nothing has changed in that regard since WinXP, not vista as i thought.

I've got one more thing to try, will let you know how that turns out.

I can't get the flash installer to work on the XP VM i'm using.

Can you go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Choose the options as shown below, install then manually copy the files required as noted in these instructions?

MaxthonSnap20170208153721.png

At this stage the only thing I can think of is that the 7/xp version flash files are different. But not 100% sure on that.

I wouldn't think Windows XP is the problem given that an OLD version of Opera browser (36.0.2130.65) worked fine.  So that points to something in Maxthon.

Anyway ... I ran your manual instructions and STILL no dice.   I first uninstalled Flash Player 24.0.0.194.  I then reinstalled Flash Player 24.0.0.194 from the install file that I had downloaded at my sister's house the other day.  CCleaner confirmed that it was back properly installed in Windows.

Then as evidenced by the attached image, I followed your instructions of renaming the original pepflashplayer.dll file to pepflashplayer.dll.org.  (Outlined in Red)  I subsequently copied that pepflashplayer32_XX_X_X_XXX.dll from the WINDOWS folder into the plugins folder and renamed it pepflashplayer.dll.  (Outlined in Green)

Verdict?  As before ... that old Opera browser version works fine and the correct, latest Flash Player version is detected by the Adobe link ... while Maxthon 4.9.4.2000 still fails to load the plugin.

Maxthon Plugin Folder after Mod.png

14 hours ago, 7twenty said:

MaxthonSnap20170208153721.png

At this stage the only thing I can think of is that the 7/xp version flash files are different. But not 100% sure on that.

No, files are no different. I've done a test yet. I installed flash version 21,22,23,24 on WinXP SP3. The first two are working correctly, from version 23 no longer.

24 minutes ago, Galileusz said:

No, files are no different

Yeah, seems that's the case. I don't understand why it doesn't work in XP. I don't recall reading about anything related to issues with it previously.

At this stage, i might update the updater to cancel updating the flash in MX when running XP.

29 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Yeah, seems that's the case. I don't understand why it doesn't work in XP. I don't recall reading about anything related to issues with it previously.

At this stage, i might update the updater to cancel updating the flash in MX when running XP.

I came across a rather interesting conversation - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2208589. One of the users wrote:

flash.png

Interesting.  That makes sense.  I think that explains why THAT particular version of Opera (36.0.2130.65) just happened to work fine and have the Flash Player Detector link detect the correct Flash Player version.  That would be because that particular version of Opera is the last version that supported Windows XP.

As to whether the latest update of Flash PPAPI not supporting Windows XP is a bug or intentional change in direction by Adobe?  I hope I'm wrong, but realistically, it's probably more likely by design on Adobe's part.  Just yet another stage in the push to kick Windows XP out the door. 

Assuming that is the case, I'm gonna go ahead now and reinstall Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 so that I can get back to having a working Flash Player, even though it'll be the built-in version 18.

Thanks for your insight, your help, 7twenty ... Galileusz. :5884970a7da3a_1:

17 hours ago, Chim said:

Interesting.  That makes sense.  I think that explains why THAT particular version of Opera (36.0.2130.65) just happened to work fine and have the Flash Player Detector link detect the correct Flash Player version.  That would be because that particular version of Opera is the last version that supported Windows XP.

As to whether the latest update of Flash PPAPI not supporting Windows XP is a bug or intentional change in direction by Adobe?  I hope I'm wrong, but realistically, it's probably more likely by design on Adobe's part.  Just yet another stage in the push to kick Windows XP out the door. 

Assuming that is the case, I'm gonna go ahead now and reinstall Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 so that I can get back to having a working Flash Player, even though it'll be the built-in version 18.

Thanks for your insight, your help, 7twenty ... Galileusz. :5884970a7da3a_1:

Why sit with version 18 if nrwer versions will work in XP?  The version in 5.0.2.1600-beta release is 20.0.0.306.  My Win7 has 24 as current version.

I don't know at what version it would fail, but it's worth trying.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, SnowLeopard said:

Why sit with version 18 if nrwer versions will work in XP?  The version in 5.0.2.1600-beta release is 20.0.0.306.  My Win7 has 24 as current version.

I don't know at what version it would fail, but it's worth trying.

I wrote before, that the last version supported by Win XP is 22.

I already reinstalled Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 and with its built-in Flash Player 18 everything is working fine.  I'm not experiencing that problem of the Choose Files button having "Couldn't load plugin" text superimposed on it on the Wise Forums.  At this time I'm not experiencing any other Flash Player-related issue that would make it imperative that I somehow update to some higher version.

While I have previously tried out some older version of MX5 already , I'm not quite ready to switch over to it full time, SnowLeopard.  I'm waiting for a couple more updates until it's a bit more polished.  Maybe at least until when it has capability for us to be able to incorporate our own custom Skin image and Speed Dial image.  Or does 5.0.2.1600 Beta already have that?

On 2/10/2017 at 2:23 PM, Chim said:

I already reinstalled Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 and with its built-in Flash Player 18 everything is working fine.  I'm not experiencing that problem of the Choose Files button having "Couldn't load plugin" text superimposed on it on the Wise Forums.  At this time I'm not experiencing any other Flash Player-related issue that would make it imperative that I somehow update to some higher version.

While I have previously tried out some older version of MX5 already , I'm not quite ready to switch over to it full time, SnowLeopard.  I'm waiting for a couple more updates until it's a bit more polished.  Maybe at least until when it has capability for us to be able to incorporate our own custom Skin image and Speed Dial image.  Or does 5.0.2.1600 Beta already have that?

No, 5.0.2.1600 does not permit loading your own custom images for its QA like you could in Mx4.  It has a selection of images built in and the request to add this feature has been made.

<<SL>>

Archived