Download videos from facebook

mur

If I hover on the video the menu appears at the top right but "Download" is always greyed out and can't be selected.
 If I use the Resource Sniffer, I get a list of videos on Facebook pages, but they are all really small files and won't work.

It is not because  it is a stream media. It appears the same way even on my own videos which I do know there are not stream.

My version is mx5.0.2.1000.

Hi mur, welcome to Maxthon community.

AS for the GREY  "download" button, firstly you may make sure that "resource sniffer" has been enabled in setting-addon-utility, or the button should be gray. Secondly, we should wait for it loads a little bit and the button will light on :Hugging_Face_Emoji_42x42:

How to download a video using "resource sniffer”, let me take this video from YouTube as an example,

1, click resource sniffer in the upright corner on the toolbar;

2, choose "video" and ordered by the file "size";

3, tick the entry with "unknown size" and "playback";

4, download!

Then in most cases, you will give what you want, it's a full video, but not fragments.

But sometimes, resource sniffer cannot download because the file is encrypted due to their copyright protection. 

So, this popular function produced by Maxthon does not guarantee to work all the time, but most time :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:

QQ截图20170124170259.jpg

The root of the problem is new video streaming system used more and more frequently. In this new system there are no one big video file. Video is divided by many small pieces.

Remember old youtube days. You open video, press pause and full clip is cached in background. Now when you press pause clip is cached only pertially. You can wait forever. This is because of new video dividing system. Next part will be cached only when you near the bounds of next clip part. This system greatly allows streaming services to free their channels but creates problem for anyone who wants to download complete videoclip. Download software needs to know about this system and be able to download all parts and merge them correctly. Resource sniffer can't do this.

Hi Kilmatar, 

Thanks very much for this detailed explanation on streaming system.

Our developers are also aware of the current situation, most videos are streamed by the video website to protect privacy and to alleviate their server burden.

By now, only these video sites know how to merge these clips. Yes, as you said, resource sniffer can't do this.

Do you have any other methods that can do the job? Like plug-ins or add-ons? Please tell and share with us if you do have :Hugging_Face_Emoji_42x42:

BTW, I confirmed that download button for videos on FB is grey, but it happens on some videos, not all. It should be related to that Facebook has changed something about its video playing modes. Our developers will check this after Chinese Lunar New Year, will get you back around the 4th of Febuarary.

Hi @mur, you can try our latest beta v5.0.2.1400, it's more stable and many functions are optimized in this version. :)

Hi BugSir :)

Little more about technology used by videoservices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Adaptive_Streaming_over_HTTP

Usually i'm using youtube-dl program. This is an OpenSource project available for Linux and Windows. Project is alive and periodically updated to compensate any new changes made by videoservices ;) 

github: https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/

list of supported sites: https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

Also you can check this project: https://github.com/coursera-dl/coursera-dl

Or GreaseMonkey script for FireFox: https://greasyfork.org/ru/scripts/1317-download-youtube-videos-as-mp4

On 24/1/2017 at 8:14 PM, BugSir006 said:

How to download a video using "resource sniffer”, let me take this video from YouTube as an example,

1, click resource sniffer in the upright corner on the toolbar;
2, choose "video" and ordered by the file "size";
4, download!

Thank you for this tip. Seems it was always available, just not that evident due to the lack of file size and naming.

Hopefully they can fix it to be more transparent as to what is actually the right file. Most of the other downloaders as noted by Kilmatar, and the Youtube Centre extension all have no issue in showing a correctly named and sized file.

Although that might be due to some code that determines the correct based on the size and adds the page/tile as the filename. Regardless, it means that it is possible to make it better for users.

Thank you guys!

I have downloaded one video only after over 50 tries (facebook and youtube) 

Some time there is no "unknown size"  ( including my videos on facebook)

step 4.

hit download and save.

it appears a red videoplayback.mp4  , 0 bytes 

This happens even on my own videos which are not encrypted. 

I don't want to spend more time fighting with this version.  Probably I should go back to the old version. I have never had this kind of problems.

Where can I download the old version of Maxthon?

Thank you

On 2017/1/26 at 8:53 PM, 7twenty said:

Regardless, it means that it is possible to make it better for users.

Totally agreed! I also believe that it could be better! Will discuss with our product manager and the developer who's responsible in this part to see how can realise it to make it clearer on the name and file size. :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2017 at 2:50 PM, mur said:

Some time there is no "unknown size"  ( including my videos on facebook)

Then choose the largest file :wink:

On 2/4/2017 at 1:33 AM, mur said:

Can I transfer my favorites from version 5 to 4 ?

You can, by exporting from 5 as html files, and then importing to 4.

Archived