MX5-Quick Access V1.6 is online

2 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

While I agree with you that it can be difficult to change a habit, I'm not seeing any lovers of the new quick access on this forum. I'm seeing a lot of haters, including myself. Maybe that is because the old QA was superior. If Maxthon developers are wise, they will consider the feedback, and not stubbornly refuse to revert to a previous design when it has been clearly established that people are having lots of problems with a new feature or simply don't like it.

Well, as is the case most of the time, the haters will always be the most prevalent writing out their complaints. When people are satisfied or happy with a feature, they usually just use it and don't have anything to say. So, let me the first that you see that loves the new QA. And I don't see why the "haters" are not liking it except that it is different and it takes a little time to get it set up the way you can use it. I find it better to use than the "old" with tabbed pages for each group. And I have also seen very little in the way of questions asking for help in using  the new QA before just complaining or calling it "unusable". So, yes there are some that do like it but  feel no need to praise it. Please don't use this very small participation forum to gauge the amount of support or lack of support a feature may have among Maxthon users. I have been a contributing member of this forum for over 10 years and the naysayers have always been much more prevalent than those that praise.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

I am also sticking with v4.9 until the quick access reverts to the old design.

I think  you will be with v4.9 for a long time. The new design can at least match every positive you can list for the old, and adds even more. This is only the first version, I'm sure better options are coming too.

9 hours ago, websterx said:

Hi.
Now QA seems to work, but as "ddoe" said, i still not love it.
Sometimes i have to work without internet connection but with local connection, sometimes happen that i can not access QA due to this lack of connectivity.
Another thing that i don't love is that i can not add a new icon based on an opened web page (on 4.9 was possible) and by my side the suggested sites are completely unuseful.
And i don't love folders without tiles.

Uhm, yes you can add a webpage image as a tile. And uhm, yes you can edit any tile, if you don't like a suggestion change it, not too difficult.

10 hours ago, joemax said:

I think  you will be with v4.9 for a long time. The new design can at least match every positive you can list for the old, and adds even more. This is only the first version, I'm sure better options are coming too.

Uhm, yes you can add a webpage image as a tile. And uhm, yes you can edit any tile, if you don't like a suggestion change it, not too difficult.

Perhaps I have not explained well.

On 4.9, if i have a web page opened that i want to add to QA, i can choose "add from web page" (or something like that) to add it; on MX5 i need to copy and paste the url.

2 hours ago, websterx said:

On 4.9, if i have a web page opened that i want to add to QA, i can choose "add from web page" (or something like that) to add it; on MX5 i need to copy and paste the url.

Will possibly be added in the future.

As stated, it's still new and constantly being updated since the release of MX5. MX4.x QA had 4+ years to get to the point where it is now.

Although you do have to question why certain things get dropped only to be added later. But sometimes it's easier to start with a clean base and add to that, rather than try to pile everything on top at once, then start wondering why things aren't working or failing all the time.

12 hours ago, rick.lane said:     

Well, as is the case most of the time, the haters will always be the most prevalent writing out their complaints. When people are satisfied or happy with a feature, they usually just use it and don't have anything to say. So, let me the first that you see that loves the new QA. And I don't see why the "haters" are not liking it except that it is different and it takes a little time to get it set up the way you can use it.         

So much this. It's like the update to Win8 and Win10. Lot's of people going "Oh noes!! I can't do anything because something changed slightly!"

A little time spent learning something new isn't bad, and can be beneficial in the long term.

23 hours ago, rick.lane said:

And I have also seen very little in the way of questions asking for help in using  the new QA before just complaining or calling it "unusable". 

Well let me add something there then. When I installed Mx5, my QA had a row of icons for websites which I never use, and are certainly not saved as bookmarks within my Maxthon passport account. Underneath that, I have 3 squares filled with what appear to be folders containing the icons for websites which were formally on each page of my Mx4 quick access.

I figured out how to remove the websites which I didn't put there in the first place easily enough. My question now is, how do I get rid of the empty squares at the top which contain nothing and take up valuable screen space?

I don't understand the new Quick Access design? Was the intention to be as inefficient as possible in the use of screen space?

I see a lot of space that I wish I could reclaim here to put the shortcuts I had in my old quick access to my favorite websites.

Even when the folder is expanded, it doesn't expand to use nearly all available screen space. I can't see all of the icons which used to be visible in a single page of QA without scrolling down.

MaxthonSnap20170126184353.png

MaxthonSnap20170126184756.png

1 hour ago, vedicaudio said:

When I installed Mx5, my QA had a row of icons for websites which I never use, and are certainly not saved as bookmarks within my Maxthon passport account.

Not unusual. Opera does the same.

The MX team seems to be using Edge as their inspiration, given the way the address bar works, and the use of the "top sites" style tiles. But Edge offers the option to not show them.

1 hour ago, vedicaudio said:

My question now is, how do I get rid of the empty squares at the top which contain nothing and take up valuable screen space?

You can't... at least not yet.

But let me counter your question with this... The point of QA is to make it easier to access your commonly used sites, so why make it harder for yourself when you're given the option of pinning your most used sites to that top row?

On top of that... "the waste of space" that you claim, actually has 2 extra slots in the same area than the bottom tiles do, so is actually a better use of the area. And yes i know you're referring to the blank tiles, but if you used them they wouldn't be blank, and hence not a waste of space.

6 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

I don't understand the new Quick Access design? Was the intention to be as inefficient as possible in the use of screen space?

I see a lot of space that I wish I could reclaim here to put the shortcuts I had in my old quick access to my favorite websites.

Even when the folder is expanded, it doesn't expand to use nearly all available screen space. I can't see all of the icons which used to be visible in a single page of QA without scrolling down.

I moved your post  to this topic, sorry for the inconvenience.

sigmax2.png

On 1/27/2017 at 8:21 PM, 7twenty said:

Not unusual. Opera does the same.

The MX team seems to be using Edge as their inspiration, given the way the address bar works, and the use of the "top sites" style tiles. But Edge offers the option to not show them.

Hmm, well the reason I started using Maxthon in the first place was that Opera decided to completely re-design their browser to look and work just like Chrome, to increase their appeal to Chrome users, which turned off most of the existing user base.

If Maxthon is now repeating this mistake by copying Edge just to make their browser look more familiar to Edge users, then maybe once v4.9 becomes depracated, it's time to quit using Maxthon.

I'm still not sure what the difference is between the smaller and larger rectangles in the new QA. If I can't get rid of the small squares, how can I transfer all the websites that used to be neatly divided in 3 pages in v4.9 to the *small* squares in Mx5, so that all that screen space is not wasted? Is there some reason why I wouldn't want to do that?

On 29/1/2017 at 2:42 AM, vedicaudio said:

by copying Edge just to make their browser look more familiar to Edge users,

I don't think it's to attract Edge users. I think it's something they thought was a nice idea and thought they'd use it themselves.

On 29/1/2017 at 2:42 AM, vedicaudio said:

If I can't get rid of the small squares, how can I transfer all the websites that used to be neatly divided in 3 pages in v4.9 to the *small* squares in Mx5, so that all that screen space is not wasted? Is there some reason why I wouldn't want to do that?

Hopefully they're all things that will be implemented in time.

As for adding items to the "small squares". If all your MX4.9 QA tiles were imported, you can just drag'n'drop what you want to the small squares. It will automatically swap the tile with the one that you moved. Unless it's in a group, then move it out to the main page, then swap with a small tile.

9 hours ago, RH said:

It is ok so far. Nothing special and nothing too exciting, but it does it's job.

Hi RH, thanks for your feedback. If you have any more suggestions in future, please feel free to let us know. And you can also tell us what kind of QA that you think is special and exciting, maybe your idea will be realised :Hugging_Face_Emoji_42x42:

Please, return the QA from MX4!!!
+horizontal tabs
+no search string
It was the most convenient option!
And remember: "the best - the enemy of good"

P.S.

I'm going back to 4.9. I gently tried many innovations of the MX5, and concluded:
1) QA from the MX4 - much more convenient
2) Favorites from the MX4 - convenient. Additional features of the MX5 - I do not need.
3) I am glad that there are 4.9. Otherwise, I would have to use an alternative external QA. External QA alternative - not very convenient to use, but it is better than the QA from the MX5

4 hours ago, martinstz said:

I like the new QA! Only, maybe, make the titles of folders visible permanently ;)

QA - must be QUICK!
But, in the QA(5):
1) search/address intercepts focus: you have to use the scrollbar instead of the mouse wheel
2) vertical scrolling requires eyes search for the desired button, in while flipping of pages with fixed buttons - does not require search: each button - at his own place. Try it in the MX4: your eyes are looking in advance where the desired button will appear (of course, after getting used to). I think that you're not familiar with how good interface saves your time. I had to solve such problems (reduce the time spent on data entry - twice). I solved them successfully.

Developers can combine both of versions:
1) Disable (or make optional) interception of the focus in the search box
2) Make a search string - optional (as it was done in the MX4)
3) Fix the position of buttons, while the number of rows - less than ... (enable vertical scrolling, only if the number of rows is greater than ...)
4) Allow flipping pages horizontally

All these items together - will make it possible to use both options (like MX4 QA, and like MX5 QA) at the same time, and even more.

15 hours ago, Rainman said:

QA - must be QUICK!
But, in the QA(5):
1) search/address intercepts focus: you have to use the scrollbar instead of the mouse wheel
2) vertical scrolling requires eyes search for the desired button, in while flipping of pages with fixed buttons - does not require search: each button - at his own place. Try it in the MX4: your eyes are looking in advance where the desired button will appear (of course, after getting used to). I think that you're not familiar with how good interface saves your time. I had to solve such problems (reduce the time spent on data entry - twice). I solved them successfully.

1. I like search/address bar. Gives individuality on the browser and helps for speed search.

2. QA in MX5 is most quickly than MX4. Everything is on one page and grouped on folders. Everything is in front of your eyes. Only, if MX team make the titles of folders visible permanently, it's will be most faster to find what you search in QA folders.

This is my opinion and I would not have returned to the old QA, where i must flip through the pages to find what I need. Now everything is in front of me and quickly start what I need.

Different people, different views!

Have a nice day!

3 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi martinstz, we are really glad that you love the new QA. Not sure what you mean by this "visible permanently"? I think they are now.

The titles of folders are visible only when i move mouse over the folders. It's a little embarrassing, because when i look for a folder, i'll need to move the mouse over each of them, to find what i want. For this I suggest, the titles of folders not be hidden, and see them permanently.

7 hours ago, martinstz said:

Different people, different views!

I offered an option when all the advantages of both versions - exist simultaneously.
In this case (if developers agree):

if you want MX5 option - you can build a list down, staying on the first (only) page.

but if you want MX4 option - do a few pages, with disabled search box (optional, in the settings), with disabled intercept focus (optional), with disabled vertical scrollbar (optional), flipping pages horizontally with mouse wheel (if pages count >1)

On ۱۳۹۵/۱۱/۳ at 1:16 AM, joemax said:

When folders you've named are opened they display a blank page with a Chinese character in the name. any unnamed folders open and display properly.

qa.png

Hi, I have the same issue, is there any solution?!

Dear BugSir006!

I have had this issue two days ago! and I lost all the Quick Access items at a moment!

I am really fan of Maxthon browser and I have it on the more than 4-5 systems, all of them get lost the QA after sync.

Now I see the following screen when I want to access the quick access page!

No recovery option, no export/import function, it is too disappointing!

MaxthonSnap20170222174333.png

13 hours ago, Satelster said:

Hi, I have the same issue, is there any solution?!

Hi there, sorry to see that you encounter this problem.

13 hours ago, Satelster said:

more than 4-5 systems

what are the systems you are using?

Could you PM me your Maxthon accout so that our testers and programmer can have a check to see if it's caused by some issue related to our account?

9 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi there, sorry to see that you encounter this problem.

what are the systems you are using?

Could you PM me your Maxthon accout so that our testers and programmer can have a check to see if it's caused by some issue related to our account?

All of them are PC, with win 10/7 32/64 bit

My account is satelster@gmail.com

20 hours ago, Satelster said:

My account is satelster@gmail.com

thanks for the info. Have forwarded to our testers, will contact you soon if more info is needed!

Hi there, we cannot see what caused this error from the screenshot and your account, but it's possible for us to restore your QA data, do you want us to help in this way? to recover your data?

On 2017/2/24 at 0:42 AM, Satelster said:

yea it is good if you could recover my data to 3-4 days ago.

Hi there, I'm back on duty now. And I'll let our technician try to restore your data, will let you know once they finished. :)

And

On 2017/2/26 at 11:31 AM, Galileusz said:

I think, she :titter:

U r right G:5884970a7da3a_1:

Archived