MX5 New Official release 5.0.2.1000

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Issues and comments about this version :

- I can't drag&drop files. For example, I can't drag a file into a letter on Gmail.

- sometimes when the window of MX5 is minimized, I can't restore it by clicking on the task itself (in the task bar). I have to show its context menu, and then choose "restore" (or "maximize") .
Same goes for minimizing : clicking on the task doesn't minimize the window of MX5. 

- The window of MaxNote doesn't resize well when I make it smaller. I also wish I could make it smaller (or at least its sidebar), like on the note tool on MX4. There was a time in the past I could even execute JavaScript there...

- adding to favorites using the star button has 2 steps instead of 1, and even worse: it shows a window on the far right, while the star button is on the left area of the toolbar. This is bad UX .

- I wish I could hide and move buttons (including of extensions) from/to the toolbar and sidebar of MX5 . For example, I have Greasemonkey shown on both toolbar and sidebar for some reason. I don't need it on both...

- spellcheck still marks words incorrectly and for words that are ok, like "doesn't" and the letter 'v' in "version". Look at this screenshot:

Untitled.png

- I wish the downloader would be able to be shown in the web browser itself as long as it's opened, and detached when the web browser closes. 

- I wish the translator to auto-choose to translate a marked word if I mark a word and click on its button on the toolbar. The current behavior always translates the whole page. Sure I can change it, but it could work according to context: translate all if nothing is marked, and selected text if it's marked. BTW, clicking on its settings context menu item should go directly to its options, and not the extensions page.

- I wish that for images, I could right click and choose to search for the source of the image. Currently, I have to launch a script that does it, or paste the image URL into Google-images.

- I wish I could mute a page before it makes sounds.

- I wish it would be possible to upgrade from MX4. The only other web browser that I know of that has such issues of upgrading is IE->Edge . 
There is no reason that MX5 will be like this.

17 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Issues and comments about this version :

- I can't drag&drop files. For example, I can't drag a file into a letter on Gmail.

you mean by using split view ? works fine here

- The window of MaxNote doesn't resize well when I make it smaller. I also wish I could make it smaller (or at least its sidebar), like on the note tool on MX4. There was a time in the past I could even execute JavaScript there...

I use ctrl+g to open maxnote in a resized window, Mx remembers the size of my window but if you narrow the window, there's the point where scroll bar is there but hard to find (no white zone right or left of it):

scrll1.pngscrol2.png

- adding to favorites using the star button has 2 steps instead of 1, and even worse: it shows a window on the far right, while the star button is on the left area of the toolbar. This is bad UX .

true, I don't use it since there are many ways to add a tab to the favs, I use the little bee wich I find more convenient (or right click on a tab).

- I wish I could hide and move buttons (including of extensions) from/to the toolbar and sidebar of MX5 . For example, I have Greasemonkey shown on both toolbar and sidebar for some reason. I don't need it on both...

same here, violent monkey and download manager show on both sidebar and toolbar

- I wish the downloader would be able to be shown in the web browser itself as long as it's opened, and detached when the web browser closes. 

I agree, the new behaviour (downloader closes when you close maxthon) isn't convenient. Like the op I wish it could run as a standalone when the browser is closed.

I agree with you about all following points too.

sigmax2.png

3 hours ago, -ody- said:

you mean by using split view ? works fine here

I use ctrl+g to open maxnote in a resized window, Mx remembers the size of my window but if you narrow the window, there's the point where scroll bar is there but hard to find (no white zone right or left of it):

scrll1.pngscrol2.png

true, I don't use it since there are many ways to add a tab to the favs, I use the little bee wich I find more convenient (or right click on a tab).

same here, violent monkey and download manager show on both sidebar and toolbar

I agree, the new behaviour (downloader closes when you close maxthon) isn't convenient. Like the op I wish it could run as a standalone when the browser is closed.

I agree with you about all following points too.

"you mean by using split view ? works fine here"
No. I mean that if I have a file on the desktop, and I try to drag it to a website that allows dragging of files, like Gmail (to attach a file to a letter), it doesn't let me.

"I use ctrl+g to open maxnote in a resized window, Mx remembers the size of my window but if you narrow the window, there's the point where scroll bar is there but hard to find (no white zone right or left of it):"
I'm not talking about a scrollbar. I'm talking about the side bar. The one on the left side. It cannot be resized. It takes a lot of space, and can take even more than the right side of the window. The UI itself doesn't "like" resizing of its window.

"true, I don't use it since there are many ways to add a tab to the favs, I use the little bee wich I find more convenient (or right click on a tab)."
What way do you use for it? Isn't the star button the most intuitive one, as it's the same on other web browsers ? Why use a non-standard bee icon ? What does a bee icon even mean?

Even adding a speed dial item takes a lot of steps to me, compared to MX4 . On MX4, if I had a URL in the clipboard, I would click the "+" button, paste, and press Enter key. 
On MX5, it has so many more steps: click the "+" button, switch to "custom", focus on the url textbox, paste, and click the "OK" button (Enter key isn't allowed).

21 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Works fine here. Are you dropping into the box where it says "drop files here"? Anywhere else it tries to open the file.

Otherwise check your extensions/ABP to make sure you're not blocking some javascript.

- The window of MaxNote doesn't resize well when I make it smaller. I also wish I could make it smaller (or at least its sidebar), like on the note tool on MX4. There was a time in the past I could even execute JavaScript there...

I've mentioned this as well. As bad as it is for usability, it also isn't good from a UI design perspective. Needs to be fixed and made to be responsive based on the size of the window. See the Windows Mail app for a perfect example of how it should work.

The original Favourites star was replaced by the maxinfonotebox bee button. So the number of clicks is technically still the same. And both are also on the right side. Biggest issue I think is that you can't modify the URL from that dialog. You're forced to save, then make changes via maxinfonotebox.

Not a huge user of extensions, and have the sidebar off. But I agree. This is a huge oversight. Having both showing is stupid. You should have the option of choosing which you want displayed.

- I wish that for images, I could right click and choose to search for the source of the image. Currently, I have to launch a script that does it, or paste the image URL into Google-images.

That's something that is better suited to an extension I think. If it was me, i'd create an alias for google image search (or your preferred search), Then copy image URL from the context menu, [alias key] paste URL [enter].

Maybe not as handy as a context menu option, but given there's not many people creating extensions, you need to get creative in how you do somethings sometimes.

- I wish I could mute a page before it makes sounds.

So you want all pages muted till you unmute then? Turn on global mute.

Otherwise how is Maxthon supposed to know what it need to mute or not?

- I wish it would be possible to upgrade from MX4. The only other web browser that I know of that has such issues of upgrading is IE->Edge . 
There is no reason that MX5 will be like this.

?? It is possible, and for the most part there are no issues.

What problems are you having?

58 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Works fine here. Are you dropping into the box where it says "drop files here"? Anywhere else it tries to open the file.

Otherwise check your extensions/ABP to make sure you're not blocking some javascript.

I can't drop files into gmail(anymail) nor Gimage search without abp enabled, so it isn't abp. Mx5.0.2.1000, previous versions couldn't either. Others  are having this issue too and have recently posted here.

3 minutes ago, PHYR said:

I can't drop files into gmail(anymail) nor Gimage search without abp enabled, so it isn't abp

Just tested Google image search with ABP on/off and worked fine both times. Again, if dropped in the box no problems, outside that it doesn't work.

Only other thought would be that different countries have slightly different versions of the site, some work with MX some don't. Tried with .com and com.au, but no issues on either.

3 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Just tested Google image search with ABP on/off and worked fine both times. Again, if dropped in the box no problems, outside that it doesn't work.

Only other thought would be that different countries have slightly different versions of the site, some work with MX some don't. Tried with .com and com.au, but no issues on either.

I get a circle cursor with a line across signifying it can't be done.

On 12/26/2016 at 9:54 PM, klu said:

Thanks for the answer.

I contacted translator - translation is 100%. Delay in approval. Please expedite approval.
After starting from the date of announcement of the MX5 has passed a lot of time and two official releases.
People wait ...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hi klu, thank you for your feedback. For project windows 5.0 version, there were not so many proofreaders before. That's why there's some delay.

Thanks to your kind remind, today we selected another two proofreaders according to the overall rating, and your friend @6c6c6 is also included. I think the proofreading work will speed up and you will have Ukrainian language in your MX5 in soonest future!

Any problem, please feel free to contact me at any time;D

Hi all, thanks for all your feedback and this discussion.

1, drop to attach files to Gmail. I have no issue here with or without my ABP turning on, just the speed is slow. So both @PHYR and @AndroidDeveloperLB have this issue? May I ask your locations?

2, minimize, maximize, restore it from the system taskbar, all work fine here. May I ask the frequency of this issue, and what is "context menu" and how to make it shown? by right click MX5 icon in the taskbar?

3, As for the resize the left column of Maxnote, undergo 2 steps to make a site favorite, options to hide and move extensions on tool/sidebars. These three points indeed have optimization space. I've forward them to our product manager; and let them have a discussion about how to make it more resizable, more customizable, and more convenient to collect a site (the bee icon is Maxnote logo, a bee is also collecting lovely things like honey for further use, I also think there are already many ways to collect a site: bee icon in the right of address bar, right click the tab, etc.) 

4, we've received a few feedback from users saying that a relatively separate/independent downloader is better. So I'll reinforce this idea to our product manager. BTW, could you tell me why and in what kind of situation you want it separate?

5, there are also more than one way to add a page to Quick Access (Speed Dial): click + on the new tab page; right-click the tab you want to add and choose send to-quick access as the picture below shows:

add a page to QA.png

32 minutes ago, BugMiss006 said:

Hi klu, thank you for your feedback. For project windows 5.0 version, there were not so many proofreaders before. That's why there's some delay.

Thanks to your kind remind, today we selected another two proofreaders according to the overall rating, and your friend @6c6c6 is also included. I think the proofreading work will speed up and you will have Ukrainian language in your MX5 in soonest future!

Any problem, please feel free to contact me at any time;D

57 minutes ago, BugSir006 said:

Thanks for telling klu.

@BugMiss006, please help check Ukrainian language translation. According to @klu, our translator @6c6c6 has finished translating and being waiting for approval. 

Thanks for your answers and your work.

3 minutes ago, aiman.aaz said:

Why Max 5.0.1.3000 check for updates still gives me "you have the latest update"? This is not the only version such issue happen to me

Hi aiman.aaz,

Since most of the version we released after are betas, and one of them is an official release.

We would like to wait a little bit longer and collect more user's voice and feedback so that we may continue to optimize and perfect MX5.

When we think the time is appropriate and our product is mature, then we will push update for users.

So currently, you will see this when you check for update. Some users may think it's a bug, but actually it is not.

Come to our forum, and then you will also be the first to get our latest test versions and the news of our new release.

Thanks for your support and your feedback!

On 1/3/2017 at 11:07 AM, BugSir006 said:

Hi all, thanks for all your feedback and this discussion.

1, drop to attach files to Gmail. I have no issue here with or without my ABP turning on, just the speed is slow. So both @PHYR and @AndroidDeveloperLB have this issue? May I ask your locations?

2, minimize, maximize, restore it from the system taskbar, all work fine here. May I ask the frequency of this issue, and what is "context menu" and how to make it shown? by right click MX5 icon in the taskbar?

3, As for the resize the left column of Maxnote, undergo 2 steps to make a site favorite, options to hide and move extensions on tool/sidebars. These three points indeed have optimization space. I've forward them to our product manager; and let them have a discussion about how to make it more resizable, more customizable, and more convenient to collect a site (the bee icon is Maxnote logo, a bee is also collecting lovely things like honey for further use, I also think there are already many ways to collect a site: bee icon in the right of address bar, right click the tab, etc.) 

4, we've received a few feedback from users saying that a relatively separate/independent downloader is better. So I'll reinforce this idea to our product manager. BTW, could you tell me why and in what kind of situation you want it separate?

5, there are also more than one way to add a page to Quick Access (Speed Dial): click + on the new tab page; right-click the tab you want to add and choose send to-quick access as the picture below shows:

add a page to QA.png

1. It never works. Here's another sample website, which drag&drop of a file doesn't work:
https://expirebox.com/
Here's a video to show the issue:
ice_video_20170108-105432.webm

2. Sometimes. Not sure when. 
Today it happened to me when the PC was woken up from sleeping.

3. ok. I still think that a bee icon is not intuitive and I never saw it being used on any app.
BTW, A bee doesn't collect honey. It creates it in the bee-hive. What it collects is pollen.

4. I suggested that it will be like on other web browsers, to avoid a new window every time. It can have a small taskbar icon, an indication in Maxthon itself... And when the user opens it, show the downloads on Maxthon itself, or on a small window if Maxthon is closed.

5. First time I used it now (on current website) it didn't work. But next times it did. 

On 1/2/2017 at 2:38 PM, 7twenty said:

I've mentioned this as well. As bad as it is for usability, it also isn't good from a UI design perspective. Needs to be fixed and made to be responsive based on the size of the window. See the Windows Mail app for a perfect example of how it should work.

The original Favourites star was replaced by the maxinfonotebox bee button. So the number of clicks is technically still the same. And both are also on the right side. Biggest issue I think is that you can't modify the URL from that dialog. You're forced to save, then make changes via maxinfonotebox.

Not a huge user of extensions, and have the sidebar off. But I agree. This is a huge oversight. Having both showing is stupid. You should have the option of choosing which you want displayed.

That's something that is better suited to an extension I think. If it was me, i'd create an alias for google image search (or your preferred search), Then copy image URL from the context menu, [alias key] paste URL [enter].

Maybe not as handy as a context menu option, but given there's not many people creating extensions, you need to get creative in how you do somethings sometimes.

So you want all pages muted till you unmute then? Turn on global mute.

Otherwise how is Maxthon supposed to know what it need to mute or not?

?? It is possible, and for the most part there are no issues.

What problems are you having?

dragging file: I'm dropping just fine. It should work like on MX4.

maxnote window: I don't know what is the windows mail. I use Gmail website.

favorite button: there is a favorite button on the toolbar, on the left side, just like on other web browsers, which is a good thing. The bad thing is that it shows a dialog on the right. Putting an unfamiliar bee icon which doesn't mean anything to users who come from other web browsers (and Maxthon is not the default, built in web browser on Windows) is a bad choice of UX and for migrating to it.

image search: It could also be nice to do it in the resource sniffer, because on some websites, some images are hard to right click on.
I don't think extensions can go so far to right clicking on the resource sniffer though.
I have found a script (runnable via the favorites too) that toggles a state of searching, but it doesn't always work well.

muting pages: no. Sometimes a page makes a short sound, and I know which page did it, but when I'm about to mute it, the icon of muting it is gone, so I have to wait for it to make a new sound again. I'd like to be able to control a website's muting even before it makes a sound (via right click on tab, for example). Maybe even remember it for future runs of MX. It could also be nice to control if the website is allowed to show on-top notifications (like the one of WhatsApp web).

upgrading: As I remember, it didn't work in various ways. I will try again later. 

2 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

dragging file: I'm dropping just fine. It should work like on MX4.

And it does...for me and BugSir006 and no doubt plenty of others. There's something going on for it to not work on your system. I thought I already asked this, but have you tried a clean portable version (or guest account if you use a passport) to see if it's your settings/extensions etc? Do you have any mouse related utilities running?

It's not the first time someone has had "mouse issues with Maxthon", only for it to be a third party mouse utility causing the grief.

https://expirebox.com/ also works fine for me as well.

maxnote window: I don't know what is the windows mail. I use Gmail website.

That was more directed towards MX staff to see how it should be designed.

I'd like to be able to control a website's muting even before it makes a sound (via right click on tab, for example).

That might be doable.. so long as there's someone willing to put in the time.

20 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

The same as Chrome does?

Does it mute sounds? If so, yes.
And, as I wrote, it would be nice to be able to have a manageable list of websites that will always be muted. 

23 hours ago, 7twenty said:

And it does...for me and BugSir006 and no doubt plenty of others. There's something going on for it to not work on your system. I thought I already asked this, but have you tried a clean portable version (or guest account if you use a passport) to see if it's your settings/extensions etc? Do you have any mouse related utilities running?

It's not the first time someone has had "mouse issues with Maxthon", only for it to be a third party mouse utility causing the grief.

https://expirebox.com/ also works fine for me as well.

That was more directed towards MX staff to see how it should be designed.

That might be doable.. so long as there's someone willing to put in the time.

I've disabled now all extensions (and ABP). Still doesn't allow to drag.
Weird thing is that on the PC at home it works fine, with all of the extensions enabled (both MX5s are synced to the same account).

I've found more issues:
- pressing "quote" button on this forum, doesn't do it for the correct post. I need to clear the content of the newly pre-submitted post, and press the "quote" button again, and then it puts the correct content.

- This website keeps asking me to login:
https://www.fabric.io/
I use it at work for crashes reports, but for each time I open it on specific report, I need to login again.

-About the upgrade, I've tried it at home again. Still doesn't upgrade well. It leaves both MX4 and MX5 and doesn't import almost anything (speed dial and magic fill, for example).
An upgrade to a web browser should not create 2 apps.

1 hour ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Weird thing is that on the PC at home it works fine, with all of the extensions enabled (both MX5s are synced to the same account).

Well you've narrowed it down a little., it's something on that particular system that is causing the issue. Again, try with a portable/guest account to confirm that.

Archived