Default browser for Portable version

Orlith

Hi

I'm using the latest portable version on different computer.

Maxthon keeps asking / requesting rights to do change at startup in order to be the default browser, even if I unchecked the "Keep Maxthon as default bbtowser".

Any way to disable that check ? I don't want it to be default browser and I would like it to stop asking for. In my opinion it's not a good choice using a portable version of an application as default oepning program for anything.

Thanks

What OS are you running?

I've noticed that for a while now using Win10. But not sure if that's related to the OS, Maxthon not doing something properly, or a mix of the two.

48 minutes ago, karajan said:

in fact portable version never can be a default browser

Since when? I've been using MX portable exclusively as my default browser for quite some time. 

20 hours ago, 7twenty said:

What OS are you running?

I've noticed that for a while now using Win10. But not sure if that's related to the OS, Maxthon not doing something properly, or a mix of the two.

Since when? I've been using MX portable exclusively as my default browser for quite some time. 

I'm also running w10. Sorry forget to write that.

2 hours ago, A.S. said:

Portable can not be default browser. This is portable.

On 29/11/2016 at 6:10 AM, karajan said:

in fact portable version never can be a default browser

How so? Windows doesn't know it's a portable version... it's just an .exe file. And the browser has (and has always had) an option to set as default.

I've always used a portable version and probably only recently with Windows 10 has it been an issue where you always get the prompt on starting. So it's either a problem with windows 10, or a conflict between MX and the way windows sets the default browser.

Something weird definitely going on. Just checked windows default program settings and Edge was still set to default even though "Set Maxthon as default" was checked.

So again, either MX isn't changing the setting properly in windows or windows isn't allowing it.

Going to Default Programs in windows then selecting MX5/Maxthon Cloud Browser from the list fixes it. Not sure for how long though.

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Something weird definitely going on. Just checked windows default program settings and Edge was still set to default even though "Set Maxthon as default" was checked.

So again, either MX isn't changing the setting properly in windows or windows isn't allowing it.

Going to Default Programs in windows then selecting MX5/Maxthon Cloud Browser from the list fixes it. Not sure for how long though.

Problem also occurs in other browsers and programs. Microsoft is promoting Edge and their own programs, so a specially hinders the use of third-party
software. In the web is a lot of critical comment on this.

as i said before i got 3 portables version running on win 10 pro

never had this issue

If you try to set as default browser; a portable version never appears in the setting listing

the action of clicking when ask for default has no action in win 10; it has to be done in settings

On 29/11/2016 at 9:00 PM, 7twenty said:

What OS are you running?

since win 10 and remenber win 8; if you set a default browser other tan IE you can't use windows store.

Archived