×

Give a tip

online services down, so what ?


-ody-

Recommended Posts

QA is online so what happens when the server is down ?  maxthon.com is down , and I am unable to use QA :twisted:

and uumail is unavailable too (which does not bother me since I don't use it)

fact is that half the internet is down due to a massive DDos attack https://fossbytes.com/dyn-dns-half-of-the-internet-is-down/, but QA should be available off line

qalost.pngqa lost 2.png

qalost3.pnguumail.png

 

 

 

sigmax2.png

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, -ody- said:

QA is online so what happens when the server is down ?  maxthon.com is down , and I am unable to use QA :twisted:

and uumail is unavailable too (which does not bother me since I don't use it)

For me everything works correctly. Maybe you change the dns servers for checking? E.g OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, -ody- said:

read this : https://fossbytes.com/dyn-dns-half-of-the-internet-is-down/

it works sometimes then goes away again, but QA should be available even though maxthon.com is down

Indeed, there are problems. I did'nt know. However, Maxthon services works normally in my house.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, -ody- said:

read this : https://fossbytes.com/dyn-dns-half-of-the-internet-is-down/

it works sometimes then goes away again, but QA should be available even though maxthon.com is down

far too much being sent back to maxthons servers - spyware by another name it seems to me - there is no need for QA to be housed on their servers so the question is why - answers are not hard to think of 

Tony     -   Mx 4.4.5.Latest Build on Windows 10 64Bit
Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

there is no need for QA to be housed on their servers

Well if people want the ability to have their data in multiple places then it needs to be stored somewhere. Only way around that is 1/ don't use it, or 2/ allow the user to choose where it gets stored (eg, OneDrive/Dropbox etc). But if you need that feature then 1/ isn't an option and 2/ might be an issue with implementing/verification etc. Not impossible, but more work than it's worth.

My point being, whether it's synced like the old QA with a local copy, or having a live cloud copy like the new version - either way they still hold that data on their servers (which is encrypted BTW). To think anything more is just paranoia.

The problem here is that it seems there is no local copy saved, so if their servers are unavailable then you lose that feature.

Again, I think it's just a case of not thinking things through. There was nothing wrong with the old OA (IMHO). Why they had to change the backend to make it online only is a little baffling.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Why they had to change the backend to make it online only is a little baffling.

that is the key question - maybe we will get an answer - maybe not - it seems to me 5 is becoming a thing where change is happening for change sake or maybe there are deeper reasons that we will not be told of

Tony     -   Mx 4.4.5.Latest Build on Windows 10 64Bit
Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 7twenty said:

The problem here is that it seems there is no local copy saved, so if their servers are unavailable then you lose that feature.

Again, I think it's just a case of not thinking things through. There was nothing wrong with the old OA (IMHO). Why they had to change the backend to make it online only is a little baffling.

yes, if you accept the idea to have a passport, then you accept to send your data to a server somewhere.

But in case this server is down, there should be a local copy (like favs, notes, extensions, etc...).

 

 

 

sigmax2.png

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, -ody- said:

read this : https://fossbytes.com/dyn-dns-half-of-the-internet-is-down/

it works sometimes then goes away again, but QA should be available even though maxthon.com is down

I have local computer QA tiles prccisely for offline (and online) use.  Rhen offline,e.g., Internet service is interrupted) the is NO QA, no tiles at all,  So QA unusable when offline.  PLESE provide local storage for logged in account as you do for the guest account..

                                 <<SL>>

 

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Not having any problem today with QA, anyone else?

I'm not having pgged in.  I''m trying to set up Guest QA to match the logged-in QA manually.  Very difficult.  Isl there a wayl to copy the roblems with it when lo QA from the syncc'd account into the Guest account?  I've tried copying the QuickAccess folderkl in the sync'd acount, deleting the Guest QA, and pasting in the copied folder.  Doesn't work; I gewt an error on the QA config.dat.  Any way around it?

                              <<SL>>

 

 

 

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

Rhen offline,e.g., Internet service is interrupted) the is NO QA, no tiles at all,  So QA unusable when offline.  PLESE provide local storage for logged in account as you do for the guest account..

If you're offline (no net access), then QA is essentially useless, unless you have tiles for local files. So I don't see that as an issue so much.

4 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

 Isl there a wayl to copy the roblems with it when lo QA from the syncc'd account into the Guest account?  I've tried copying the QuickAccess folderkl in the sync'd acount, deleting the Guest QA, and pasting in the copied folder.  Doesn't work; I gewt an error on the QA config.dat.  Any way around it?

No, it's encrypted to the user account. So trying to do that will cause errors as the encryption key won't work with the files you copied over.

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MaxthonJeff said:

QA actually has offline cache. If you're offline, it should still work unless you force refresh it.

That's still somewhat useless, is it not? If the browser detects that there is a net connection, it then ignores the cache and tries to get the latest online version. But when it can't access the MX server you get a connection error (even if the rest of the internet is online). So you still have no QA.

The only time the offline cache would be useful is if you run MX offline and have your QA with lots of offline sites.

The whole point of this thread is that if the MX servers are down/uncontactable then you lose a pretty big feature of the browser. Up until mx5 it was always available no matter what was happening with the MX servers.

Still struggling to see how this benefits the end user?!

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MaxthonJeff said:

QA actually has offline cache. If you're offline, it should still work unless you force refresh it.

I have never tried to Refresh the  QA.  And when I waws offline while our Internet service was transfered to our new physical address, there were no tiles at all on the QA "tab".  It was just blank.  If the cache were working, it should have been populated just like the Guest account is with manually entered tiles.  One difference I would expect is that no new tiles could be added when using the cache with the expectation that they would be preserved when back online.

A question I just thought of is will the cache display when you quit and re-launch tthe browser?  That is what I did when QA was left blank.

               <<SL>>

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, MaxthonJeff said:

QA actually has offline cache. If you're offline, it should still work unless you force refresh it.

Apparently it does not work - tried with disabled NIC, without refreshing QA.

After maxthon start there is an error page.

MaxthonSnap20161024000905.png

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, magg said:

Apparently it does not work - tried with disabled NIC, without refreshing QA.

After maxthon start there is an error page.

MaxthonSnap20161024000905.png

Then this is something we will fix.

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/10/2016 at 2:28 AM, MaxthonJeff said:

QA actually has offline cache. If you're offline, it should still work unless you force refresh it.

 

On 23/10/2016 at 8:33 AM, 7twenty said:

That's still somewhat useless, is it not? If the browser detects that there is a net connection, it then ignores the cache and tries to get the latest online version. But when it can't access the MX server you get a connection error (even if the rest of the internet is online). So you still have no QA.

The only time the offline cache would be useful is if you run MX offline and have your QA with lots of offline sites.

The whole point of this thread is that if the MX servers are down/uncontactable then you lose a pretty big feature of the browser. Up until mx5 it was always available no matter what was happening with the MX servers.

Still struggling to see how this benefits the end user?!

exactly : issue is not when you"re offline, issue is when maxthon server is down which does not mean all sites are down, but then you have no QA...

sigmax2.png

Tip   Give
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.