How does Passkeeper work?

AaronX

Hi,

I hope someone from the Maxthon team can help me: how does Passkeeper/old Magic Fill target which form fields to auto-fill?

And specifically, how can I stop it?

A website I run has a user account system, for which Passkeeper stores and applies my own account information perfectly across log-in screens. However, it then also incorrectly applies my e-mail and password to an admin control panel for editing other user accounts. I've tried renaming the field name and id values, and only with BOTH changed has it stopped applying my e-mail address; I had to remove the password type too from the password field to stop that.

autocomplete="off" is ignored on both the form as a whole and individual fields.

It uses the field names as you have noted above.

You can disable it from options. Or change it to manual mode, in which you'll need to doubleclick a field and choose an option from the dropdown to fill the data. Not as magic as it always autofilling, but still simple and easy enough to make it handy.

15 hours ago, 7twenty said:

It uses the field names as you have noted above.

It does seem to do more than that, though.

For example, at one point I had changed both name and id of the e-mail field, but still had the password as was - and it then started filling in my e-mail address in the surname field! I can only guess because surname was the last text input field before the password field so it latched onto that DOM positioning? (Despite the e-mail field being of email type, not text.)

Basically, I'd just quite like it if it would obey  autocomplete="off"

On 21/10/2016 at 10:44 PM, AaronX said:

It does seem to do more than that, though.

Interesting. I was trying to play around with it in a test form on a local file. But I can't get magicfill to work on any of the fields for some reason.

On 21/10/2016 at 10:44 PM, AaronX said:

Basically, I'd just quite like it if it would obey  autocomplete="off"

I have to say the fact that it doesn't obey that is a good thing... so many extra fields to fill in manually otherwise!

That said, MX should really adhere to the standard.

8 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

I have to say the fact that it doesn't obey that is a good thing... so many extra fields to fill in manually otherwise!

That said, MX should really adhere to the standard.

Yes. I was in two minds about it for that reason, but ultimately standards should be adhered to. I think it could at least not auto fill them in, but still offer them to be filled when the form/field gains focus.

Archived